St, John travel costs 10/05

Coralc

Beachchick suggested that I post this here, I rarely visit the ports of call board and I am happy to share information.

$10 p/p for cab/van to Red Hook. $4 p/p for the ferry ride to St. John, each way ($1 fuel surcharge) $6 p/p cab ride to Trunk bay. $8 p/p return ride from Trunk Bay to ferry dock (You are stuck there after all) There were 8 of us on this adventure. Lets figure out the total per person.

Cab/van to Red Hook & return $20

Ferry to/from St. John $ 8

Cab/van to Trunk bay & return $14

Total per person for St. John excursion $42 Bring cash.:)

And in October, there was no ferry service back to Havensight (ChAm), only Red Hook.

Good Info., its a popular question. Here are some updates:

Ferry from Red Hook to St. John will be $5 per person; A temporary fare increase is in effect as of February 1st and will last 60 days; during that time a permanent fare increase will be decided on.

The $6 per person one way rate for groups of 2 or more traveling between Cruz Bay and Trunk Bay is correct. $8 is for one person traveling alone.

I am curious: did you tell the driver when he/she told you $8 per person that you had paid $6 each to get there?

--Islander

http://www.*****

Yes we did tell the drivers at Trunk Bay that we had only paid $6 for the ride there. There were 2 drivers in the parking area and they were both adamant that the fare to get back to the ferry terminal was $8 p/p. We really had no alternative but to pay the requested fare since it was certainly too far to walk back. :)

Wow. For future folks, they should consider the safari bus for $2 per person.. gets you to Red Hook and back to the pier area... are very safe and takes close to the same time as the taxis. When I was there a few months ago, I noticed NO locals taking the expensive cabs.. rather, they were all taking the safari buses.

This was very apparant coming back from St. Johns.. the tourists headed for the $10 per person vans, the locals walked right past the vans to the road, and got on a safari bus (we followed and got on) and paid $2 per person for a group of 7, and we beat some of the vans!

So, save some $$, beat the taxi vans, and enjoy the island! (I had posted on this thread several times about this money saving tip... the poster above could have saved some dough... but some people are probably richer than I am so it is not important).. brian

Hello pbhunt,

Thanks for the reply about telling the driver what you had paid getting to Trunk Bay. As mentioned there are regulated rates... the $6 a person for your group was the correct one - the drivers are suppose to have the rate card in their vechicle so if others encounter this you could ask to see the rate card.

Anyhoo, taxi talk aside; I hope you had a great time.

--Islander

http://www.*****

Thanks Islander, for all the great information that YOU provide. Last time we were on St. Thomas we rented a Jeep, and drove all over. This time we decided to visit St. John. Transportation issues aside, the beaches there are spectacular and we had a wondeful time. We had a great lunch at Woodys, because Duffys (on St. John) had apparently been recently sold and was closed. :) When we ferried back we went to Duffy's in St. Thomas :-))

And obviously we did not tip our Trunk Bay to ferry terminal return driver.

Thank you, Islander. That was the updated fare info that I was trying to get out there for everyone and for the OP on the other thread.

beachchick

p.s. to pbhunt: Actually, my suggestion was to the OP on the other thread to come here for current (and additional) information. Sorry, I should have addressed my post that way rather than just posting it after yours. My boo-boo. It's good to have this info out there anyway.

Archived