Visa needed?

I am pretty sure the answer is no for a one day cruise port visit, but this was the description on the website:

"While you do need to have a passport when traveling overseas, special arrangements are made by the large cruise lines to facilitate their passengers’ shore excursions.  These special arrangements eliminate the potential for loss or theft of passengers’ passports while shopping and touring, and eliminate the need for passengers to obtain individual visitor visas from Turkey.  U.S. citizens do typically need an e-visa to enter Turkey, but cruise ship passengers are permitted to come ashore without a visa for day visits by special arrangements."

So, my question is: what does "by special arrangements mean?"  I see many CC'ers go on private excursions, so I guess we don't need a VISA for those?  

6 hours ago, fabnfortysomething said:

I believe its only if you fly in the visa is required and when my daughter[from UK] paid a nominal fee for visa at airport after landing

This was our experience as well - when we arrived via cruise, no visa was needed. When we arrived via air we had already completed the e-visa online (think you can still get the visa upon arrival at ports of entry - i.e., airport).

2 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

This was our experience as well - when we arrived via cruise, no visa was needed. When we arrived via air we had already completed the e-visa online (think you can still get the visa upon arrival at ports of entry - i.e., airport).

About a year ago Turkey stopped selling these visas on arrival in their airports. Now they have to be purchased in advance via their e-visa system:

https://www.travelcodex.com/turkey-stops-issuing-visas-on-arrival-heres-how-to-get-a-travel-visa-beforehand/

As far as I know, they have not changed the requirements for passengers who are only visiting Turkey in transit on a cruise -- no visa required.