Is there "value" to Spa Staterooms or is it just location & a yoga mat?

empresschef

The Spa Stateroom is appealing based on the location -- we are fitness center and thermal suite users.  It's unclear what other benefits come with it.  

Specifically, does one receive spa discounts - especially on the thermal suite?

The Holland America site blog written several years ago mentions special spa menus for room service and some bottled water.  I spoke with a Holland America rep who was not sure that still exists.

I appreciate your replies!

16 minutes ago, empresschef said:

The Spa Stateroom is appealing based on the location -- we are fitness center and thermal suite users.  It's unclear what other benefits come with it.  

Specifically, does one receive spa discounts - especially on the thermal suite?

The Holland America site blog written several years ago mentions special spa menus for room service and some bottled water.  I spoke with a Holland America rep who was not sure that still exists.

I appreciate your replies!

We have sailed on her from the inaugural in 2010 in Venice as well as 4 times in Europe. First I was thinking of having a spa veranda but first of all it is on deck 11

with no real  balcony but Juliet style. Also no awning or protective cover to protect from the sun!

Having the bottled varieties of water was ok they replenish daily but we did not like their yoga mats! We had friends in one of them and said their seemed to be an odor.

Room was nice close to fitness center which is a plus, and they had specials for treatments in the spa, but really seemed to be the same specials given to everyone!

yes there was a special little menu service for you in room.

What ever you choose enjoy your cruise!

For ya the only draw back was really no balcony and on deck 11.

Denise😊

From what I've read here and seen from looking at deck plans, Spa cabins tend to be smaller than other "similar" cabins. When they added the spa balconies to Veendam or one of the smaller ships, someone who had one said yes, there's a yoga mat but not enough space to unroll it! 

The important thing to note is that the spa cabin does not include a spa pass. It's mostly about being near the spa and fitness center. 

Honestly, it's about location only........proximity to the spa.  No other reason to spend more on this type of cabin.  We were "upgraded" to a spa cabin and it was not great.  Zero amenities.   I would never use a yoga mat that has someones sweat on it!  I would pass on this cabin unless you absolutely need to be close the spa.

What Lady Arwen and 3rdGen said. Calling them "Spa rooms" is just a marketing ploy for cabins that weren't selling well because of factors mentioned above.

You do not get to keep the yoga mat or the iPod docking station! (I learned that on CC.) I *guess* you get to drink the water, but I would check the small print...

I would be good with just the "big window" of the Juliet balcony, and we were OK with the smaller added inside cabin on the Observation Deck on Zuiderdam (we just spent all of our time in the nearby Crows Nest!), but I would not book a spa room at a higher price than a similar room elsewhere for supposed perks. 

3 hours ago, empresschef said:

Thanks all!  We're going to pass on the "Spa" stateroom and have booked a lovely regular Verandah.

Our travel advisor was nice enough not to say "I told you so".

I’m so glad!!! You will love your verandah and our most special HAL ship!

Smooth Sailings and have a wonderful cruise !

Denise😊

• Like 1

13 hours ago, empresschef said:

Thanks all!  We're going to pass on the "Spa" stateroom and have booked a lovely regular Verandah.

Our travel advisor was nice enough not to say "I told you so".

Have a wonderful time!  Good decision on the cabin choice.

I loved the location of mine being someone who moves between gym, thermal suite, pool and crows nest mostly. However I wouldn’t have paid extra for it. I book the cheapest guarantees so I was happy with the few extras that came with it