Dubrovnik and Kotor

You don’t need an excursion for Dubrovnik. If the ship is anchored in the bay, then the tender will bring you straight into the old town harbour. If the ship is docked you can get a taxi or a local bus the fairly short distance to the Pile Gate of the old town.

Once in the old town, buy tickets to walk the walls (or buy them online before you go)

https://www.dubrovnik-travel.net/entry-ticket-for-dubrovnik-city-walls/

Sorry Grandma, I totally disagree!  By using a local guide, one can learn our history which dates back to Roman times.  There is are more to see than just walking the wall.  Utilize our tourist bureau website and decide which of our many sites interest you and enjoy.  Please do not miss the Rupe Museum, it is my favorite.  Enjoy my beloved Dubrovnik, I have been doing so now for the past 11 years.  

All comes down to how you love to cruise and what you hope to do in port, both ports as another poster mentioned can be DIY, of course you can go hog wild and hire a private guide, but do your research carefully, lots of resources here on the internet, but if you can I'd look to avoid the cruiseline tours in both ports.

21 hours ago, Cavtatlady said:

Sorry Grandma, I totally disagree!  By using a local guide, one can learn our history which dates back to Roman times.  There is are more to see than just walking the wall.  Utilize our tourist bureau website and decide which of our many sites interest you and enjoy.  Please do not miss the Rupe Museum, it is my favorite.  Enjoy my beloved Dubrovnik, I have been doing so now for the past 11 years.  

I guess it comes down to personal choice. My DH has a very low boredom threshold, so we avoid guides. I do lots of research beforehand to satisfy my interest in the local area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/16/2019 at 7:13 PM, kcbmarek said:

Will be stopping in Kotor and Dubrovnik on our Greek Isles and Croatia cruise.  Any shore excursion recommendations for these two stops?

TIA - Kim

Hi guys, I love both cruise ports and would like to recommend www.monttravelers.com for Kotor tours and www.dubrovniktours.com for Dubrovnik tours. I really enjoyed the company of young and knowledgeable people in Kotor for 6 hours excursion. Luckylu Kotor is the small old town that you can visit even on your own or however in 1.5 hours, it's a walking distance from Kotor port and what is even better the country is so small so in a few hours, you can discover almost one-third of the territory.  Dubrovnik is bigger and in a few hours, we did a panoramic drive around the town and walking tour. Not sure how much time you have for each spot but be sure to see as much as possible and hope you will enjoy as well as we had. Hope this might helpful.