Should I get specialty dining package for 3rd person

Dreams42Day

One of the perks for our cruise was the 3 night specialty dining package for two people. Our 13yo son is travelling with us and will be eating at these 3 specialty dining restaurants with us. Should I purchase a package for him or just pay menu price when we go to the restaurants? 

My granddaughter’s  best friend was 3rd person in cabin.  Daughter got her the 3 night package.  As it turned out she was a picky and light eater, also would junk out before family went to dinner.  Her package was NOT worth money spent!! She could of easily ordered one item and been fine. 

1 hour ago, Dreams42Day said:

One of the perks for our cruise was the 3 night specialty dining package for two people. Our 13yo son is travelling with us and will be eating at these 3 specialty dining restaurants with us. Should I purchase a package for him or just pay menu price when we go to the restaurants? 

Buy a package for the 3rd person. It will be [a lot] cheaper. 

For our upcoming October 13th Breakaway cruise, we've opted to get the 3 night SDP for our 10 y.o. son.  We were fortunate to pick it up before the recent price increases.  Even with the 'lower price', we still thought it worth it.  As pretty good and adventurous eater, he hasn't ordered off a kids menu in some time.  We think we will get the value out of the SDP for him , as we planning for the three of us to enjoy Cagney's, Moderno, and Teppanyaki together.   

Having just returned from a week on the Epic, the three worst meals I had were in La Cucina, Le Bistro and Cagneys.The food in the MDR,s was a lot better and even the Garden Cafe was better. The speciality restaurants are way overrated and the prices they charge for the individual meals are extortionate.

• 2 weeks later...

Many of the specialty restaurants (Cagney, Le Bistro, La Cucina) have gone to a la carte pricing, unless you have the meal package.  IF you have the meal package, you can order as much as you like, BUT only 1 entree.

The waiters are not going to care if the two adults with the package order multiple appetizers and deserts, as long as you only get one entree with your package.   Your son can order one entree at the a la carte price, and eat your extra appetizers and deserts.    That will be less costly than buying a full specialty dining package for him.

Our son is now 14. He has been joining us in the speciality restaurants for a few years now, and buying him the dining package is just a decision as to how many meals.

He gets full value out of the restaurants. I would t even consider paying the a la carte prices for them, and he wouldn’t want to be sent to the buffet whilst we go to eat in one of the restaurants (except for Le Bistro, which he isn’t a fan of).

Edited by KeithJenner

2 hours ago, janus287 said:

Many of the specialty restaurants (Cagney, Le Bistro, La Cucina) have gone to a la carte pricing, unless you have the meal package.  IF you have the meal package, you can order as much as you like, BUT only 1 entree.

The waiters are not going to care if the two adults with the package order multiple appetizers and deserts, as long as you only get one entree with your package.   Your son can order one entree at the a la carte price, and eat your extra appetizers and deserts.    That will be less costly than buying a full specialty dining package for him.

I cannot believe that you would have the nerve, cheek and audacity to suggest to cheat the system by allowing a young person to sit at a restaurant table and eat their parents food that they have perloined by deliberately ordering additional meals for someone else. 

1 hour ago, cottagers2000 said:

I cannot believe that you would have the nerve, cheek and audacity to suggest to cheat the system by allowing a young person to sit at a restaurant table and eat their parents food that they have perloined by deliberately ordering additional meals for someone else. 

Realized that I didn't actually hit reply to this post, but clearly my post in response to this.

Just to clarify,  I am not suggesting eat "free",  I am suggesting order one entree for the child.    Waiters will suggest it is fine to share side dishes and desserts, and menu is very clear.

Especially for a child, this is common.

Can't believe the rudeness of some people

Edited by janus287

Good Question - depends on your child.  Benn on 3 NCL cruises traveling with Mom, Dad, Son.  When younger, he was perfectly happy for one of us to take him to the buffet for dinner, then to the kids club while we went out to a specialty dinner later just Mom and Dad.  He preferred that over sitting for a long time in a restaurant.  This is one of the reasons we liked the cruise because we had some  couple time and family time. Now he is 13, almost 14... he said he wants to eat with us. But I can see him making plans with other teens to eat together.  He is more likely to eat less “fancy” food and he is not a steak eater. Braces cause some limits too.    So he will go with is to Teppenyaki.   And the other 2 specialty dinners will be just Mom and Dad. 

13 hours ago, janus287 said:

Realized that I didn't actually hit reply to this post, but clearly my post in response to this.

Just to clarify,  I am not suggesting eat "free",  I am suggesting order one entree for the child.    Waiters will suggest it is fine to share side dishes and desserts, and menu is very clear.

Especially for a child, this is common.

Can't believe the rudeness of some people

Rudeness??? I do hope my friend that you are not referring to me.l personally feel that the idea of ordering of additional starters or puddings for yourself knowing full well that your offspring will be eating them is an insult and a scandalous idea. Is that something that goes on in Canada? Exactly why do you consider a comment going against this practice to be rude??

Like others have said, I believe it depends upon the child.  My 13yo son has always been an adventuress eater and at this point usually eats as much or more than most adults on a cruise.  If he were going with us I would be buying him a package.

If your kid likes to eat or eat new/nicer things (think crab cakes etc), then it will work better having a package.  We do this for our now 16 yo daughter (5 meals) so it matches up with our 3 specialty meals and 2 platinum dinners.   Enjoy the cruise.

19 hours ago, cottagers2000 said:

Rudeness??? I do hope my friend that you are not referring to me.l personally feel that the idea of ordering of additional starters or puddings for yourself knowing full well that your offspring will be eating them is an insult and a scandalous idea. Is that something that goes on in Canada? Exactly why do you consider a comment going against this practice tobe rude??

Janus287, I note that you have not had the decency to reply to my question after you were so bold with your comment on post number 14

We did not purchase a dining package for our 13 yo daughter.  She shared my entree in Cagneys and we both still couldn't eat the whole ribeye steak.  We had four sides which is basically two sides each for my husband and I.  She ate a little of the sides.  For dessert, we shared one.  At Le Bistro, she had my soup and escargot and did not want any more food.  I tried to give her some of the Coq Au Vin but she was full.  For La Cucina, she shared my pasta  and had an appetizer that the waiter did not charge us for.  My daughter is a light and picky eater and I find that sharing an entree and sides with her is more than enough for both of us.  

In the past, we did buy the dining package for her and it was totally unnecessary.  I hate wasting food and sharing with her worked out great.