Gannets in New Zealand

Would love some input. I am booked for a shore excursion in Napier to Cape Kidnappers for a Gannet Safari. My cruise begins in Auckland and I'm doing a 3-day pre-cruise tour of Auckland. I was reading that tour discussion last night and read this in the description:  "Muriwai Beach on the rugged west coast. A stop is made on the cliff tops overlooking the beach. From here there is a walk of approximately 250 metres, through native plants, to the lookout. At the lookout you will be able to see the gannet colony. This is one of only two mainland gannet colonies in the world. You will be very close to the birds and depending on the season and time of day, you will be able to see their various activities such as nesting, feeding and displaying. Gannets are spectacular aeronauts and you may be able to see their wonderful displays as they dive for fish."

So my question is should I change excursions in Napier as I'll be seeing them in Muriwai Beach in Auckland. There's so much to do in NZ that I if I will experience them in Auckland, I'd love to do something different in Napier. If you've been to Muriwai Beach, is that a good place to experience the gannets?

Thanks,

Jamie

Jamie, I have been to Muriwai Beach to see the gannets as part of an afternoon wine tour out of Auckland. We were there  in January 2016. I have not been to Cape Kidnappers. We were happy with what we saw (and smelt). It is an easy walk from the carpark overlooking the black sand beach.

2016 Tom Sm 053.jpg

2016 Tom Sm 062.jpg

2016 Tom Sm 069.jpg

2016 Tom Sm 057.jpg

2016 Tom Big 006.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We'll be in Napier on November 21st and just booked the Cape Kidnappers tour directly with Gannet Safari (much less $$ than through HAL).  Don't know when you'll be there but we'll be there when the chicks are hatching (October-December) so am very excited!  😊  Have you seen this short video?