How about HKG

MarkusToe

You have to trust celebrity to make whatever changes are necessary...within their power.  They can't control what is happening at the Hong Kong Airport.  I would take Celebrity's transportation to the airport....not a taxi.

6 hours ago, MarkusToe said:

HI Folks

as the situation is getting worse and more worse at HKG and we are booked at SIN - HKG on Millenium

How is it handeled actually?

Rerouting -  how about flights, as airport was blocked?

Do you have a ‘package’ with Celebrity or independent flights/hotels and transfers? The responses may be different if you are one or the other...

no package from X -  booked Lufthansa, C, HKG - FRA

key question how much in advance do we know: X will not go to HKG....

I do have multi entry, but rest of the pack, nope

Edited by MarkusToe

The airport protests were a week ago.  The protesters have moved on, saying that they apologized for the airport closure and would be centering their efforts in the city.  1.7 million peacefully marched on Sunday in Victoria Park.  In the rain.   Although our cruise to HK is in the future, wouldn't be concerned.  

6 hours ago, MarkusToe said:

no package from X -  booked Lufthansa, C, HKG - FRA

key question how much in advance do we know: X will not go to HKG....

I do have multi entry, but rest of the pack, nope

So hard you have our sincere best wishes that all settles...

Suggest you email Celebrity and ask them to confirm their itinerary  at this stage is unchanged. 

Also suggest you email your air carrier (or supplier) asking what their position is...

Read the small print in your travel insurance, confirm what you are/are not covered for.

After that all you can do is watch and wait...We have had a couple of difficult pre cruise hiccups...One involving Air France and ‘last minute’ strikes and one involving ‘unseasonable weather on the East Coast of America’....The hardest thing about both was that ‘hand tied’ feeling that until things got better or worse we could do nothing...

Sincere best wishes that things settle. All I can suggest you do at this stage is to keep on top of information provided and don’t be afraid of constantly contacting providers (and keeping evidence) that you are being proactive.

Finally keep asking on Cruise Critic. It was thanks to Cruise Critic that we had a real ‘heads up’ that our flight to Orlando via Philadelphia would be cancelled. This resulted in us contacting AA to reschedule before many other ‘over the pond’ passengers even knew there was an issue.

We have loved our vacations in Hong Kong and our cruise from there, best wishes that all goes well and you get to enjoy...

Edited by chemmo

5 hours ago, MarkusToe said:

@chemmo

thanks for your input, looks like you are a little bit more knowledable at HKG than myself

Do you know the Regal Hotel Kowloon - worth the $$ to be in exec floor?

Never stayed there..We have used the Shangri La and the other hotel we used was Harbour Plaza....Both are now several years ago...Our priorities were a harbour view from our room and an executive lounge for a few late late drinks and snacks and an included breakfast. Another priority in Hong Kong for us is to be very near to the ferry ports.

Generally we do find executive floors to be worth the money. Executive breakfast  alone can save you $$.  We also do prefer to be back at our base hotel fairly early evening so we do get the benefit of the cocktail times.

I honestly suggest over the next few weeks you follow a few hotels on trip advisor having decided on your priorities. It is a few years now since we were in Hong Kong so although we loved the hotels we stayed in we cannot really recommend them as things change. However, we generally would recommend the ‘executive floor’ experience.

I know it sounds a bit mundane but we will often when visiting a city like Hong Kong for the first time set up a spread sheet listing everything from  indoor/outdoor pools, views, restaurants, breakfast included/not included, evening cocktail hours.....Sometimes we have found that the additional price you are paying for ‘name’  of a hotel is not of value but being guaranteed a ‘HarbourView’ room is worth that bit more...

Hope this rather rambling post makes sense...

Sincere best wishes for a fantastic stay in Hong Kong and a wonderful cruise!

Edited by chemmo
  • Haha 1