Quick Wine List Question

Chunky2219

Regent newbie here, with a voyage booked on Explorer at Penthouse level.

I know that wine and beverages are included in the price, but I'd be interested if anyone has a copy of the wine list that I can take a look at.  Also, does RSS have an additional list of "premium" wines that are chargeable? 

I've come across this with other lines where they started to include drinks and wound up the prices to match, but everything that is "free" turned out to be so-so quality. It works fine for people who want to spend a fortnight pouring cheap wine down their necks, but me and the boss-lady prefer quality to quantity.

I'm hoping that RSS has some options that better fit our ageing livers and picky palates.  Any advice please?

Cheers,  C

Edited by Chunky2219

Regent doesn’t publish a house wine list and they say that the wines change to often for a list to stay accurate.  If you ask the Head Sommelier when you are on board, they may give you a printout of the current wines available. 

We are also wine lovers and enjoy a combination of the ship’s house wines and wines from the Connoisseur’s Wine List.  The house wines are usually good, probably average around $15 - $20 retail price points.  You can definitely find some enjoyable wines in that group.  Things to remember:  You can ask for a tasting pour of any of the wines to decide if you like it.  While the evening menus have recommended wines for the evening, and they will bring those around to pour, you can ask for any of the house wines in any of the restaurants at any time.  If you find a favorite Cabernet just ask for that wine when the Sommelier or server comes to your table.   The ships Sommeliers will also hold one or two tastings of a few of the house wines being offered during the voyage.

The Connoisseur’s Wine List is good, and the good news is that the wine prices are about the “average” retail price you’ll find on Wine Searcher.  So, you’re getting a fine wine, decanted, Riedel glassware and sommelier service for about retail price.  We almost always order a bottle off the list in the specialty restaurants.  Also remember that at Penthouse level there is a discount on your wine purchases – it won’t show up on the evening’s bill, but they take it off all purchases at the end.

You can also bring your own wines on board – there is no “corkage” costs.  When we embark  from the US we usually bring a number of wines with us for the voyage.  We also will purchase wines along the way if there is an opportunity and enjoy them on board.  We haven’t tried it yet, but we have been told that you can ship wines to the ship for your cruise. 

Hope that helps  --

Bob

• Like 2

Like Eno-Bob said, finding a current, accurate wine list is like finding a photo of Bigfoot riding a Unicorn while lassoing Nessie before a UFO beams them all up.  In other words, not likely.

The included wines are good, sometimes very good, occasionally damn good - but IMO always very drinkable.  If you don't like the daily selection, ask the head sommelier for another option (you can get any of the included wines at any time, or you can ask for premium wines at a fair upcharge).

I also highly recommend either the included wine tasting or the extra-cost premium wine tasting (great use for OBC if you need to burn some).  Also, attending the included wine tasting early on gives you an idea of what they have stocked. 

• Like 1

I believe that it would be a stretch to say that the house wines are in the retail price range of $15-$20 per bottle.  That certainly cannot be said for the pinot noir.  The main complementary pinot noir is "Backhouse" which has a retail price around $6.50.  When on board you have to go to the premium wine list for a drinkable pinot noir.  

As mentioned above, premium wines are reasonably priced.  The pinot noir that I purchase is (after discount) about $10/bottle over retail.

• Like 1

I’ll have to concede that I was overly generous with the $15 - $20 price range.  I thought that a some of the house wines, like the Sterling Napa Cabernet Sauvignon, were priced in that range, but after a checking, they are more in the $10 range.   I do agree with shuguley on the house Pinot Noir wines – never had one that we liked.   There are only a few Pinot Noirs on the Premium Wine List, so the choices are limited.   While there are some very nice wines on the Premium Wine List, they are big production wines – a lot of cases produced and consistent availability. 

Travelcat2 posted the pages from the Connoisseur Wine List back in February and you can find her photos and list here when you scroll down the page --  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2635631-live-from-explorer-feb-17-march-9/page/3/

• Like 1

Thank you for linking the Connoisseur Wine list.  I have posted a list of alcohols and premium wines several times.  It is time consuming (which why I just took photos of the pages in February).  As has been said, Regent does not give out included wine lists unless you ask (and then you still may get one).  I understand their reasoning for that so I just suggest waiting until you get onboard to see what is offered.  Regent typically has a "walk-around" wine tasting of their included wines.

I'm very grateful for the comments and especially for the link to the connoisseur list. 

There are several wines on there that I recognise and some even that sit on my wine rack; sadly at somewhat better retail prices than on the list.  For example, the bottle of 2014 Duckhorn (Zinfandel though, not a Merlot) that we glugged on Monday evening cost me £18 versus $60 on the list.  It seems about par for cruise line wine list prices.

No worries, we'll give the house wines a go and see if we can find a few that might hit the spot.  If we don't manage it we can always order some of the pricier stuff.

It's good to know that there are no corkage fees.  We always take some bottles of good wine on board for consumption in the suite anyway and the option to take them outside is a bonus.

Tell me, does the house wine arrive table-side by bottle, or is it a case of trying to get a sommelier's eye to get a glass topped up?

>

7 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

Like Eno-Bob said, finding a current, accurate wine list is like finding a photo of Bigfoot riding a Unicorn while lassoing Nessie before a UFO beams them all up.  In other words, not likely.

The included wines are good, sometimes very good, occasionally damn good - but IMO always very drinkable.  If you don't like the daily selection, ask the head sommelier for another option (you can get any of the included wines at any time, or you can ask for premium wines at a fair upcharge).

I also highly recommend either the included wine tasting or the extra-cost premium wine tasting (great use for OBC if you need to burn some).  Also, attending the included wine tasting early on gives you an idea of what they have stocked. 

couldn't agree more. There is always a good wine available and if you find a favorite, you can always ask for it or even have it delivered to your cabin. 

The premium wine tasting lunches (on sea days ) are a great way to try new things, find out pairings you might not have thought about and … use ship board credit. We've done it a few times and it was very enjoyable .

Enjoy the trip

20 hours ago, shuguley said:

I believe that it would be a stretch to say that the house wines are in the retail price range of $15-$20 per bottle.  That certainly cannot be said for the pinot noir.  The main complementary pinot noir is "Backhouse" which has a retail price around $6.50.  When on board you have to go to the premium wine list for a drinkable pinot noir.  

As mentioned above, premium wines are reasonably priced.  The pinot noir that I purchase is (after discount) about $10/bottle over retail.

House wine prices vary quite a bit. In April we had a nice Sokol Blosser Pinot noir in Prime 7. Available online for $35-40. 

On 7/26/2019 at 10:06 AM, 1982CruzStart said:

As TC said the costs vary based on the port and what is offered in the Regent Choice excursion. Generally we take the included excursions but off and on we do buy Regent Choice. In fact our cruise this fall we have a Regent choice excursion at 151 pp to go to Petra as well as trying out the small group option on one that you can get as included.  We are paying 94 pp for a small group tour to Jerusalem and Bethlehem as it is a 13 hour tour and the fewer people to deal with on that long a day the better.

I am willing to pay for a Regent Choice excursion when it is going somewhere i really want to go and see the sites i want to see. 

On 8/20/2019 at 7:31 AM, UUNetBill said:

How do you find out about the on board wine tastings?

Folks:  Upon reviewing Thread comments:  Certainly, it all depends upon how much time one wishes to devote to a matter which--once onboard--amounts to very little.  Whatever floats ones boat to enhance the experience as to wines.  When in doubt, bring that wine (bottles or cases) with you.  No additional fee for uncorking at lunch or dinner. 

For what it is worth as to wife and self's experiences while Radisson/Regent regulars for over 15 years:   In four days (but, who is counting) we depart the Great Pacific Northwest for Stockholm.  A BTB awaits for the next 3+weeks aboard "Explorer".  Another opportunity to enjoy the Regent experience via Baltics, Russia, Belgium, Ireland, and Great Britain.  And, more great wines without the need for expending additional sou.  Why?

Because there has never been a need to establish an "in" with a sommelier to hone -in to that special wine to enhance the experience.  Certainly, we have met guests--usually at a Compass Rose shared table for dinner--who have made a particular point emphasizing they were being served a wine they brought aboard.  Or, they enbibed from a bottle from that Premium list.  Again, whatever.

My wife often tasted (tested) a sip of one or two wines offered at a Compass Rose--or Prime 7--dinner venue.  Either red or white.  Usually, no  issue.  My palate is not that delicate.  

But,  happy wife; happy life--for almost 50 years.  

So when early-on an Explorer 2017 cruise, the sommelier presented her with a "suggestion" when neither offered wines one or two met that taste test:  As to white:  Castle Rock Winery Chardonnay (Central Coast California);  red--Sokol Blosser Oregon Pinot Noir.  No additional charge.  And--these ain't cheap.  I priced them out using our local "Total Wines" outlet.  

Those wines followed my wife throughout that particular segment--if she requested same--at either lunch or dinner venues.   That routine continued during three ensuing 2017/2018 cruises.   No-doubt, that bit of history will await us when aboard our upcoming Explorer adventure.  That is just what Regent does.  And, it does so without drama, or cost. 

Just make a reasonable request for an alternative wine, and it will be  provided.  

GOARMY!

Although my comment about making friends with the sommelier was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, in all seriousness it never hurts to be friendly with them - although we know pretty much what we like as far as wines go, if the sommelier also knows how your tastes run they can often recommend some very nice wines that you might not otherwise try.

They can also help you avoid certain wines, too - for example, DW has bad luck with South American wines, specifically Chilean and Argentinian reds.  Some have triggered splitting headaches (no, not those headaches - we generally don't overindulge) and having someone who is aware of this who will help her avoid these wines sure doesn't hurt...literally.

I still think there's no substitute for attending the wine tastings whenever they're offered.  You can find some real gems...

I can't argue with the idea of befrending a somelier.  The good ones are wonderful at suggesting interesting but inexpensive wines and they usually have access to some bottles from the previous wine list ,which as bin end, can be cracking value.

My wife has to avoid alcohol one day a week (because of meds that day).  Knowing this, one somellier who tuned in to us used to turn up at our table with a black towel over his arm on those days, bu t also having found me a large single glass of something to match my food.