VOLENDAM DRYDOCK

Shih-tzu

We know the Volendam is coming out of drydock on 31 October.   Has anyone heard what they are doing yet?   Routine things?  Upgrades?   Anywhere I have searched just mentions it's going to drydock... although there's been speculation, it's quite vague.   Curious as I sail on her on 01 November.

13 minutes ago, Shih-tzu said:

We know the Volendam is coming out of drydock on 31 October.   Has anyone heard what they are doing yet?   Routine things?  Upgrades?   Anywhere I have searched just mentions it's going to drydock... although there's been speculation, it's quite vague.   Curious as I sail on her on 01 November.

Routine dry-dock maintenance and gutting her Mix Bar while replacing it by BillBoard Onboard

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Routine dry-dock maintenance and gutting her Mix Bar while replacing it by BillBoard Onboard

Thank you Copper10-8.   I was on the Zuiderdam when she came out of drydock in Nov 17 with some upgrades - new carpets, furniture.....  smelled so "new" and looked great.   If you hear of anything more, keep us updated.... appreciate it 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Thanks for this information Copper.  I expect to be sailing on Volendam during her Christmas/New Year's Cruise this year.  Altering this area ought to be a good idea.  Too much space underutilized, i.e. the Champagne Bar, and more seating and Bar space seating needed for Billboard entertainers that ought to be really good.

I'll miss the TV sports screen that Mix offered unless it is not available elsewhere.  I need to keep a watch on my 3 favorite football teams:  the Bengals, the Browns, and the Buckeyes.  (With much interest, due to family connections, to the Seminoles and the Bulldogs as well.)  

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 1

Thanks, 

3 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Thanks, Copper.  My son and I sail on her during Christmas/New Year's 2020.  Looking forward to it.  His 1st time in a Lanai.  Are the TVs going to be upgraded?  If you know that would be helpful, so I can prepare him if it's the smaller, older screens.  He's grown used to the large-screens on the Pinnacle Class ships.

6 minutes ago, Sue from Canada said:

I'm sailing on her Nov. 11th and I'm sorry the Mix Bar will be gone.  What is BillBoard Onboard?  Never heard of this.

Basically, a pair of singing pianists seated opposite each other at their own individual grand pianos. Initially advertised by HAL as "dueling pianos," they are better identified as a two-person collaborative piano show that celebrates a wide range of Billboard's popular hits and also take requests

EU_Billboard1-604x387.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Thanks, 

Thanks, Copper.  My son and I sail on her during Christmas/New Year's 2020.  Looking forward to it.  His 1st time in a Lanai.  Are the TVs going to be upgraded?  If you know that would be helpful, so I can prepare him if it's the smaller, older screens.  He's grown used to the large-screens on the Pinnacle Class ships.

I know the higher category suites are supposed to get the larger interactive TVs; not sure about the Lanais, sorry! Enjoy that Holiday cruise! Christmas is a special time on HAL ships!

18 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Basically, a pair of singing pianists seated opposite each other at their own individual grand pianos. Initially advertised by HAL as "dueling pianos," they are better identified as a two-person collaborative piano show that celebrates a wide range of Billboard's popular hits and also take requests

This is an excellent description of Billboard Onboard that I have experienced on Westerdam and Nieuw Statendam.  Guests seemed to love it.  (As did the Stewards and Bartenders when they had a chance.)

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Hi Copper,

This is not good news as my carefully selected midship verandah on the 30 day Amazon Explorer was over the Mix.  I hope they are not playing late into the night!

Karen

24 minutes ago, Loreto said:

This is not good news as my carefully selected midship verandah on the 30 day Amazon Explorer was over the Mix.  I hope they are not playing late into the night!

Karen

On the Koningsdam they played 3 - 45 minute sets and as I recall the last one was over my 11pm.   Since it is just pianos they are really not that loud.   We really enjoyed them on the Kdam so looking forward to them on this ship for the Grand South America in 2020.

23 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Thanks Copper.  This sounds like fun.

13 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

On the Koningsdam they played 3 - 45 minute sets and as I recall the last one was over my 11pm.   Since it is just pianos they are really not that loud.   We really enjoyed them on the Kdam so looking forward to them on this ship for the Grand South America in 2020.

Thanks for the reply!  I have seen Billboard on a number of ships and hopefully it will be fine.

Karen