Can someone explain this bidding process I'm reading about?

DimSum

I'm new to NCL and I've been reading about other cruisers bidding for their cabins?  How do you bid?  I thought you just purchase your cabin based on what's on the website.

Can you get your cabin cheaper by bidding?  

TIA

In a nutshell, once you book a cabin you MAY be sent an invite about 90 days before sailing offering you the chance to bid on a few cabins of higher category than the one you've booked. There is no guarantee once you bid you will win. If you don't win, you keep your money.

There is a wealth of information in this thread:

Also, read this link...https://www.ncl.com/es/en/content/upgrade-advantage-faq

Edited by JennyB1977

NCL sends an email asking if you like to bid on higher category room then the one you currently have booked. Not everyone receives the email. 

for example, I booked a balcony room on the Gem and received an email about upgrading. I could go up two categories which included everything from a suite to a huge room in the Haven.

If your bid is accepted, you only keep the perks you had with the original booking and you don't get a choice of room.

The other thing to remember: If you bid on two upgrades and win one, your other bid is automatically cancelled. So if you have a Window cabin, you can safely bid on both the Balcony and Mini-Suite without worrying about being charged twice.