Train from Colon to Panama City

Lou33

Royal Caribbean does not seem to offer a train excursion from Colon to Panama City for our cruise.  Does anybody know if these tours have ended?  I see that you can buy tickets directly at the railway station, $25 each way.  But that is offered only for travel originating in Panama City.

http://www.panarail.com/en/passenger/

Does anybody have information about the status of railway tours in Panama?  Has anybody taken the train directly without the ship's tour, from Colon to Panama City and back?

Have not heard anything about dropping those tours, maybe they just have not finalized them and will offer them as your sailing draws near.  The passenger service would not be possible for the cruise passenger since the train originates on the Pacific side around 7AM with a return from Colon shortly after 5PM.  Pretty much impossible logistics with the ship's times in port to be able to do the train round trip or even one way by train and alternate transportation for the return trip.  For example, if you were to dock in Colon, the train would leave 5PM ish, no train back to Colon until the next day.  You then would have to have vehicle transportation back to Colon, just not enough time.

Don't give up on the train trip, even if they don't offer it before your cruise, I think there would be a good chance it will be available for purchase once you are on board.

Edit:  Just went and looked at the Canal cruise I have coming up and the train is not offered.  I certainly will be on the lookout to see if it is offered after we board.

Edited by BillB48

• 2 months later...