TS/Hurricane brewing in the Caribbean

cruiseanon32

1 minute ago, gizmoneil said:

I don't have any problem if they simply just decide to change the Itinerary and says you know what we'll just take you to Cancun and play it safe

Once of the challenges for short (3/4 night) sailings from Port Canaveral is figuring out where you could go.  You couldn't make Cozumel (Cancun port calls are extremely rare these days, small facility), so it's generally Key West (which may already be at capacity - not sure), other ports in the Bahamas (weather dependent), or previously, Havana (not an option now).  You've got better odds than a three night, for sure, but we'll see.  Also note that even if Key West has space, they'd need to make a technical call somewhere else b/c of the PVSA.

• Thanks 1

5 PM Update, latest trajectory a bit more south

Hurricane Dorian Discussion Number  18
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL052019
500 PM AST Wed Aug 28 2019

The cloud pattern has become better organized with a hint of an eye
on high resolution satellite imagery and plenty of convective bands.
In addition, earlier data from a reconnaissance plane and surface
observations from St. Thomas as Dorian moved by yield an initial
intensity of 70 kt.  Now that the hurricane has developed an inner
core with a 15 to 20 n mi eye, strengthening is more likely. Given
the favorable environment of warm waters and low shear prevailing in
the western Atlantic, the NHC forecast calls for a marked
intensification, and brings Dorian to category 3 intensity in 72
hours, and keeps it at that intensity until landfall. This
forecast is very close to the intensity consensus, the HCCA model,
and the SHIPS guidance.

Satellite and earlier reconnaissance plane fixes indicate that
Dorian has been moving toward the northwest or 320 degrees at 12
kt.  The cyclone is heading toward a weakness in the Atlantic
subtropical ridge, and this northwest motion should continue for the
next 24 to 48 hours. However, after that time, all the global models
continue to build a strong ridge over the western Atlantic, and this
flow pattern should force Dorian to turn more to the west-northwest
toward Florida. All indications are that by this Labor Day weekend,
a powerful hurricane will be near or over the Florida peninsula. The
new NHC track forecast is a little bit to the south of the previous
one, given that global models have a stronger ridge to the north and
the track models show more of a westward motion.  Users are reminded
not to focus on the exact forecast track, as the average 5-day track
error is around 200 miles.

Hello,

My husband and I were on the Oasis during Irma almost two years ago. I called it our 7/11 cruise, since we went out for 7 nights but it changed to 11 days. We did receive credit for 10 nights for our RCL crown and anchor points to our surprise! 

1 hour ago, tahtah said:

Hello,

My husband and I were on the Oasis during Irma almost two years ago. I called it our 7/11 cruise, since we went out for 7 nights but it changed to 11 days. We did receive credit for 10 nights for our RCL crown and anchor points to our surprise! 

That's amazing. Did the buffet look thin by day 10? Did they offer any free or discounted laundry?  I usually pack 2 extra days of meds... gonna rethink that for my October 7 day!

Food was plentiful!!! The staff on the Oasis was beyond accommodating. When we left on  Sunday, Irma was not much of a threat. Things changed dramatically, and on Wednesday, our captain announced that there was a very good chance that we would not get back on our scheduled date. I did not bring enough meds, and to get medicine from the ship would have necessitated a doctors visit plus the cost of the medications (approximated $150.00). I suggested that my pills be cut in half, but the nurse laughed at me! When I got on the elevator afterwards very upset, a gentleman suggested I buy them in Cozumel, where we were docking for two days. So, I did that for very little money. Very good lesson: always bring at least one week of extra meds. The ship offered half price drinks starting Thursday till we got back to Port Canaveral the following Wed., half price laundry, free calls to those in hurricane path (including me and my husband). We had daily meetings in the theater to answer questions. Except for my medical problems (self induced), Oasis handled it great. Now off to the store to get stocked for Dorian!!!

1 hour ago, tahtah said:

Food was plentiful!!! The staff on the Oasis was beyond accommodating. When we left on  Sunday, Irma was not much of a threat. Things changed dramatically, and on Wednesday, our captain announced that there was a very good chance that we would not get back on our scheduled date. I did not bring enough meds, and to get medicine from the ship would have necessitated a doctors visit plus the cost of the medications (approximated $150.00). I suggested that my pills be cut in half, but the nurse laughed at me! When I got on the elevator afterwards very upset, a gentleman suggested I buy them in Cozumel, where we were docking for two days. So, I did that for very little money. Very good lesson: always bring at least one week of extra meds. The ship offered half price drinks starting Thursday till we got back to Port Canaveral the following Wed., half price laundry, free calls to those in hurricane path (including me and my husband). We had daily meetings in the theater to answer questions. Except for my medical problems (self induced), Oasis handled it great. Now off to the store to get stocked for Dorian!!!

Fantastic details.  Thank you!

Hurricane Dorian Update

8/29/2019

Update: August 29, 2019 6pm (EST): 

Hurricane  Dorian Update:  
As the safety and security of our guests and crew is MSC Cruises’ top priority, we are closely monitoring Hurricane Dorian.

The U.S. Coast Guard has just informed that PortMiami may be closed as early as tomorrow. Therefore, MSC Seaside is planning to return to PortMiami tomorrow, Friday, August 30 at 8:00 AM ET. At this time, current guests on board MSC Seaside will have the option of disembarking if they choose. Alternatively, guests are being offered the option of staying on board. MSC Seaside will be required to depart before PortMiami closes. MSC Seaside will sail to a safe area and return once the port re-opens.

For guests currently booked on MSC Seaside, departing on Saturday, August 31, and those currently booked on MSC Armonia, departing on Monday, Sept. 2, we will provide an update on the sailings at noon tomorrow. We encourage guests to continue to monitor our web site for updates.  

7 hours ago, calestultz said:

Hurricane Dorian Update

8/29/2019

Update: August 29, 2019 6pm (EST): 

As the safety and security of our guests and crew is MSC Cruises’ top priority, we are closely monitoring Hurricane Dorian.

The U.S. Coast Guard has just informed that PortMiami may be closed as early as tomorrow. Therefore, MSC Seaside is planning to return to PortMiami tomorrow, Friday, August 30 at 8:00 AM ET. At this time, current guests on board MSC Seaside will have the option of disembarking if they choose. Alternatively, guests are being offered the option of staying on board. MSC Seaside will be required to depart before PortMiami closes. MSC Seaside will sail to a safe area and return once the port re-opens.

For guests currently booked on MSC Seaside, departing on Saturday, August 31, and those currently booked on MSC Armonia, departing on Monday, Sept. 2, we will provide an update on the sailings at noon tomorrow. We encourage guests to continue to monitor our web site for updates.  

This is interesting. We are currently aboard the MSC Seaside. At about 9pm on Thursday eve (Aug 29), we received letters in our cabin stating most of the above info. Staff members also informed us that the ship will be departing for the “safe area” on Friday (Aug 30) at 4:00pm. Since that is the case, I wonder why then are they telling those booked to depart on Saturday, August 31, that they will not be updated concerning their sailing until noon on Friday? 🤔

RCL Symphony update, supposed to dock Miami 8/31, postponed by 4 days

Symphony 8/24/19 Sailing

We’ve replaced our visit to CocoCay with Nassau, Bahamas, and extended our sailing.

DATES DAY ORIGINAL ITINERARY REVISED
ITINERARY
8/24 Saturday Miami, Florida Miami, Florida
8/25 Sunday Cruising Cruising
8/26 Monday Cruising Cruising
8/27 Tuesday San Juan, Puerto Rico San Juan, Puerto Rico
8/28 Wednesday Labadee, Haiti Labadee, Haiti
8/29 Thursday Cruising Cruising
8/30 Friday Nassau, Bahamas Nassau, Bahamas
8/31 Saturday Miami, Florida Cruising
9/01 Sunday - Cruising
9/02 Monday - Cozumel, Mexico
9/03 Tuesday - Cruising
9/04 Wednesday - Miami, Florida

Hurricane Dorian Update

8/30/2019

Update: August 30, 2019 9:30 am (EST): 

As the safety and security of our guests and crew is MSC Cruises’ top priority, we are closely monitoring Hurricane Dorian, which could have an impact on two of our scheduled Caribbean cruises departing from Miami.

MSC Seaside is currently scheduled to depart PortMiami, tomorrow, Saturday, August 31 and MSC Armonia is currently scheduled to depart PortMiami on Monday, September 2.While at this time neither of these cruises have been cancelled, guests scheduled to embark on either ship are encouraged to check this page regularly for updates. MSC Cruises will update itinerary details for both ships upon receiving information related to the status of PortMiami.

Please note, as Hurricane Dorian approaches, the MSC Cruises USA office will have limited staff. We encourage you to please check this web site for all updates, rather than calling our contact center.

MSC Cruises’ next update will be at 12 pm on August 30.  

I am currently is this situation:  I'm sitting in Gainesville, Florida wondering should I attempt the drive to Miami?  Most of the gas stations up here do not have gas.  I cannot make it to Miami on one tank full.  I just cancelled my hotel reservation because I had been notified by MSC that Seaside would not be leaving Saturday on the cruise.  I know that it's difficult for MSC to make decisions but there has to be many more like me who do not know whether they should go or not.

1 minute ago, calestultz said:

I am currently is this situation:  I'm sitting in Gainesville, Florida wondering should I attempt the drive to Miami?  Most of the gas stations up here do not have gas.  I cannot make it to Miami on one tank full.  I just cancelled my hotel reservation because I had been notified by MSC that Seaside would not be leaving Saturday on the cruise.  I know that it's difficult for MSC to make decisions but there has to be many more like me who do not know whether they should go or not.

This is a tough spot, and I think what MSC did was fold to people who wanted answers (all lines being beaten up on social for taking too long), but this is why patience is needed - no one wants to reverse course like that.  Ooof.

Onto your situation.  Turnpike rest stop fuel stations have larger reserves and solid refueling agreements.  In past evacuations and such, they've been solid in terms of being open and having fuel.  They also have a large number of pumps, so delays, while they do happen, aren't as terrible as some other places. 

I can't tell you what to do in terms of making the drive or not, but I can tell you that I'd be inclined to simply hit every (or every other) station along the way.  If I recall, every other turnpike station would mean every ~90 miles (correct me if I am wrong), which could be mildly annoying, but would leave me (if I were you) at ease knowing I have fuel.

Great information.  Thank you. We will wait for the 12:00 message to see if they've changed again and then leave.  I called the hotel and they were able to reinstate my reservation.

We had this same thing with MSC when our cruise to Cuba was cancelled by the government.  They would give some information and then would change the information a couple of times.  This cruise on Seaside hopefully leaving tomorrow is a replacement for that cruise since they wouldn't refund our money.

I don´t understand why the NCL Sun is still sitting in Cozumel. NCL says they will let us know at 3pm if there will be a Sep 2nd cruise. But if the cruise leaves CZM at 6p, like the article says, it will take about 36 hours at 23 knots to get to Port Canaveral. Then it gets in there at the same time as Dorian. If I were the one making decisions, that ship would be met at Port of Tampa by a fleet of buses at 6am tomorrow. It is close to the same distance for the people flying out of MCO. The others could be transported to Canaveral to their cars and the oncoming passengers could be shuttled over to Tampa leaving their cars at Canaveral.

And to add to the confusion... I can still book tomorrowś cruise on the NCL website!?!

Port Everglades is presently closed due to cat 5 Dorian. Majesty supposedly will sail (not likely) Wed instead of tomorrow, shortened by 2 days. Crown & Anchor said they still plan on Nassau port. No option for cruise refund.....only obc & some sort of future cruise 2 day credit. Greedy. Although I'm Diamond, will not sail with RCC again. Some other lines are providing full refunds!!! I have insurance but RCC should do the right thing & offer refunds in this dangerous situation.

This is my favorite of the current cruise line updates: "Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line has canceled its September 1 and 3 departures of Grand Celebration. Its August 30 sailing departed the Port of Palm Beach as planned, but because Freeport Grand Bahama is now closed, the cruise is now a cruise to nowhere, heading out to sea with no port calls, and returning to Florida when safe to do so."   

Gee, that's a little open-ended... 

20 hours ago, sofietucker said:

i see that a couple of Norwegian's cruises are ending in New Orleans, instead of Florida!!! Logistics must be crazy.  And what about folks who drove to the port??

Fortunately NCL recently had ships in New Orleans so they probably flew staff there ahead and set up their systems again. Most of their needs are handled by the port employees!

If the ship is rerouted or the time at a stop has changed, what happens to any paid excursions one purchased? I assume the cruise ship, if purchased through the ship, are refunded. 

I was considering going with a company outside the cruise ship, because it's cheaper; however, now I'm reconsidering this idea. 

Anyone with experience or knowledge in this area? (only my 2nd cruise)

1 hour ago, busiaof4 said:

If the ship is rerouted or the time at a stop has changed, what happens to any paid excursions one purchased? I assume the cruise ship, if purchased through the ship, are refunded. 

I was considering going with a company outside the cruise ship, because it's cheaper; however, now I'm reconsidering this idea. 

Anyone with experience or knowledge in this area? (only my 2nd cruise)

Correct about ship excursions - refunded automatically.

When booking outside, look for language that says they do not charge, and refund any prepaid amounts, if the ship does call as scheduled at the port. Or email them and get a response that says so.  Without that there is a risk.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.