stateroom outlet(s): US 2-prong or 3-prong?

awmeyer

Going on our first multi-night cruise next week, on Emerald Princess.  Saw the lists of suggested conveniences long ago, including a non-surge protected outlet multiplier, as there is typically only one or two wall power outlets in a stateroom.

Bought a nice outlet multiplier from Amazon, 3 grounded outlets, 2 USB jacks, and a nightlight.  Fits a single US 3-prong (grounded) outlet.  But just saw a batch of cabin photos

on this Cruisecritic site, one seems to show the outlet as just 2-prong. 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/emerald-princess-377/obstructed-ocean-view-cabin-402395/obstructed-ocean-view-cabin--v17970999/

Looks like the US 2-prongs, and the European 2-prong.  

Should I run out to the hardware store and try to find a nice 2-prong outlet multiplier?   I have the US to Europe 2-prong plug adapters, but I don't think one should or can  use them with a 3-prong device.  We board our flight to Europe tomorrow night, any comments/suggestions welcome!

This would be best on the Princess board, but I'd be surprised if the US outlet wasn't grounded.  OOPS - looked at the pictures in the link, and all I could see was the bathroom outlet.  On the panoramic picture, looks like there are multiple USB outlets by the beds, and then....?  Send this question to Princess Board, but my experience on Holland America (owned by the same corporation as Princess), is that the US outlets are 3-prong.

The outlet in the bathroom is typically a shaver outlet.  It is ungrounded, and delivers a maximum of 200 mA (0.2 amps).  It was an intermediate device to limit bathroom shocks before GFCIs became affordable.

You might want to post a link to the device you purchased.  Many such units have surge suppression and SHOULD NOT be used on a ship.  They are fire hazards.

Thanks everyone for the responses.  I'm bringing both a 2-prong and a 3-prong outlet multiplier.  I had read on one of these forums or advice articles that there may be only a single outlet in the bathroom, nowhere else in the stateroom.  Maybe depends on which room, even within same class/type.  Looking more at the photos with the one linked, I can see as Underwatr mentioned that the desk outlet is one or two grounded 3-prong, as it should be for the hair dryer (where's the GFCI reset, down in the engine room?).  Also noticed what may be a duplex outlet where the TV is plugged in, and possibly also an outlet or two under the window.  

SRF asked for link to the (not surge protected) one I got from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Extender-Charger-Splitter-Adapter-Compatible/dp/B078SLTZWB

11 hours ago, awmeyer said:

Going on our first multi-night cruise next week, on Emerald Princess.  Saw the lists of suggested conveniences long ago, including a non-surge protected outlet multiplier, as there is typically only one or two wall power outlets in a stateroom.

Bought a nice outlet multiplier from Amazon, 3 grounded outlets, 2 USB jacks, and a nightlight.  Fits a single US 3-prong (grounded) outlet.  But just saw a batch of cabin photos

on this Cruisecritic site, one seems to show the outlet as just 2-prong. 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/emerald-princess-377/obstructed-ocean-view-cabin-402395/obstructed-ocean-view-cabin--v17970999/

Looks like the US 2-prongs, and the European 2-prong.  

Should I run out to the hardware store and try to find a nice 2-prong outlet multiplier?   I have the US to Europe 2-prong plug adapters, but I don't think one should or can  use them with a 3-prong device.  We board our flight to Europe tomorrow night, any comments/suggestions welcome!

The European "Schuko" outlet is grounded.  There are two metal "spring tangs" on the perimeter of the round hole where the plug (or your adapter) goes, that are the grounding "prongs".  So, if your US/Schuko adapter has a US 3-prong "female", then you can safely use a US 3-prong device.  Can you provide a link or description of the "multiplier" you have?  It sounds awfully like the Belkin Mini adapter (3 outlets, 2 USB, and a "protected" light) that is surge protected.  Most of the combination outlet/USB devices are surge protected.

6 hours ago, awmeyer said:

https://www.amazon.com/Extender-Charger-Splitter-Adapter-Compatible/dp/B078SLTZWB

That might not fit at the desk unless you unplug the phone but note that there's another dual US outlet behind the TV. Unplug the TV, plug the outlet extender into one of the outlets and plug the TV into one of the extender's outlets. Net gain is one outlet (two if you don't use the TV) plus USB.

7 hours ago, awmeyer said:

Thanks everyone for the responses.  I'm bringing both a 2-prong and a 3-prong outlet multiplier.  I had read on one of these forums or advice articles that there may be only a single outlet in the bathroom, nowhere else in the stateroom.  Maybe depends on which room, even within same class/type.  Looking more at the photos with the one linked, I can see as Underwatr mentioned that the desk outlet is one or two grounded 3-prong, as it should be for the hair dryer (where's the GFCI reset, down in the engine room?).  Also noticed what may be a duplex outlet where the TV is plugged in, and possibly also an outlet or two under the window.  

Every cruise ship I have been on has had a "shaver" outlet in the bathroom and at least one location in the stateroom with grounded outlets, always at the desk and sometimes also another one near the bed.