Rental car drop-off prior to embarkation

BopRN

Several years ago, we had rented a car to get to the port; dropped one person off at the port with all the luggage while the other of us returned the rental car and took the shuttle back to the port. Is this still possible to do at Port Everglades? I am wondering if security still allows private cars to enter the port drop-off area?

5 hours ago, BopRN said:

Several years ago, we had rented a car to get to the port; dropped one person off at the port with all the luggage while the other of us returned the rental car and took the shuttle back to the port. Is this still possible to do at Port Everglades? I am wondering if security still allows private cars to enter the port drop-off area?

These are common rental car agencies with free shuttles to the cruise port:

Hertz from Crown Plaza Hotel
Avis/Budget/Payless at 2520 Miami Rd.
Sixt further up 17th.
Thrifty/Dollar just out Western port exit.

Probably over half the people arrive in private cars, get dropped off or park.

I have pretty much done that every time in P Everglades.

I was going to walk back to the port last time but the rental company said they would not let me in.

Not sure if I believe them,   I need to test it myself...

3 hours ago, matj2000 said:

I was going to walk back to the port last time but the rental company said they would not let me in.

Not sure if I believe them,   I need to test it myself...

I've walked from the parking structure twice in Port Everglades, no issues at all. Sure some of the people might be taken back by someone "walking", but its perfectly fine.

First time, even had an officer control the lights and stop the main intersection so I could safely cross.

2 hours ago, Kovster said:

I've walked from the parking structure twice in Port Everglades, no issues at all. Sure some of the people might be taken back by someone "walking", but its perfectly fine.

First time, even had an officer control the lights and stop the main intersection so I could safely cross.

I was actually talking about walking from the Alamo rental drop off site to the port.

Which is about 1/2 mile away outside the port entrance gate..

We sailed out of Miami back in May and used Avis.  Avis is a few blocks away but offered a free shuttle to/from the port.  I would have walked but getting over the causeway bridge looked dicey on Google Maps.

We did the same thing you're talking about when first boarding.  Since we were sailing in a Grand Suite the porters took everything from us and my wife and kids just went up to the Suites boarding lounge and waited for me to return the car.

Let me tell you it's so much easier just jumping in the shuttle with NO luggage for the ride back to the port.

When we disembarked we were going to do the reverse if the Avis shuttle was full but it was not and we were all able to jump in and load our luggage in the back.  With my corporate rate it was so much cheaper to rent a car one way from the airport instead of taking Uber/Taxi/Lyft. 

Edited by PopeyeDaSailor