Birth Certificate - Bermuda?

Hi everyone:   Have 2 US citizen new cruisers joining us for our Bermuda August 2020 cruise (US - Bermuda - US).  Both want to use their birth certificate in lieu of a passport (yes, I know the issues using a birth certificate especially if they need to fly back to the US).

RC website states that for US cruises they can use an "official" birth certificate and 1 government issued ID.

Government website states a passport is required for entry into Bermuda and back to US.

Will try to convince them to get passports but need if they actually need the passport or can use a birth certificate?

THANK YOU so much in advance for your help!//Maria

20 minutes ago, pasodancer said:

Hi everyone:   Have 2 US citizen new cruisers joining us for our Bermuda August 2020 cruise (US - Bermuda - US).  Both want to use their birth certificate in lieu of a passport (yes, I know the issues using a birth certificate especially if they need to fly back to the US).

RC website states that for US cruises they can use an "official" birth certificate and 1 government issued ID.

Government website states a passport is required for entry into Bermuda and back to US.

Will try to convince them to get passports but need if they actually need the passport or can use a birth certificate?

THANK YOU so much in advance for your help!//Maria

If the cruise is a closed loop cruise to Bermuda, ( round trip from US port) all they need is a birth certificate and government issued photo ID. 

10 minutes ago, rhuntington3 said:

Yes, to board the ship you need a passport or a birth certificate and and ID.  And yes, it does appear you need a passport for Bermuda.  They have plenty of time so I’d tell them to go ahead and get their passports.

They do not need a passport as it is a closed loop cruise. 

4 minutes ago, pasodancer said:

For a toddler - (2 years old)……….I am guessing a passport is necessary and the little one doesn't have a government issued ID?

Nope. The child only needs an official birth certificate.  Children under 16 don’t need photo ID. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

My daughter just showed her license to get back on in Bermuda.  Sometimes children need their birth certificate as does the parentif names are different.  Passports are definitely easier!

To get back on the ship in Bermuda all adults need is a drivers license or other photo ID. And  ship card. Children with the adult do not need ID. 

Edited by Charles4515

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

To get back on the ship in Bermuda all adults need is a drivers license or other photo ID. And  ship card. Children with the adult do not need ID. 

On a couple of occasions over the years I've seen security officers at the cruise ship piers incorrectly insist that children needed a photo ID . I witnessed a couple of really good arguments that ensued. Sometimes you just run into someone who is improperly trained and at times  a supervisor had to be called in to intervene.