Any thoughts on Catamaran in Cozumel?

cdoobiest

Will be on Symphony of the Seas Feb 15-22, 2020 on Western Caribbean.  We are doing Roatan, Costa Maya and Cozumel.  I wanted to do Catamaran and snorkeling at one stop.  Roatan looks like lots of snorkeling right from beach plus monkey and sloth.  

Wondering if anyone has done Catamaran in Cozumel.  I see Fury but looks like lots of people and prefer something quieter.  We are group of 15, mixture of adults and kids.  Is water rougher in Cozumel, how is snorkeling offshore.  Based on what I see, ruins in Cozumel much further away, so I will do this Costa Maya.  Cozumel looks mostly like beach clubs which I don't think we would like so Catamaran looks like the best on this port stop but I don't want to just take a boat ride if snorkeling not the best and seas rougher.  Any thoughts?

We just did a 2 snorkel stop and the sand bar to El Ceilo. It's not a catamaran, but it was awesome snorkeling at Palancar Reef and Columbia Reef, then to the starfish area (hundreds of them) and then the sandbar. It was an awesome day! They pick you right up at port and drop you back off. They give you drinks (alcohol and non) and also make homemade guac and salsa's right there on the boat. It was awesome.

I have full review of our day if you are interested, with tons of pictures: LOCATED HERE

I thought it was a pretty inexpensive cost compared to what you got. It's a family owned business.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/31/2019 at 12:26 PM, mitsugirly said:

We just did a 2 snorkel stop and the sand bar to El Ceilo. It's not a catamaran, but it was awesome snorkeling at Palancar Reef and Columbia Reef, then to the starfish area (hundreds of them) and then the sandbar. It was an awesome day! They pick you right up at port and drop you back off. They give you drinks (alcohol and non) and also make homemade guac and salsa's right there on the boat. It was awesome.

I have full review of our day if you are interested, with tons of pictures: LOCATED HERE

I thought it was a pretty inexpensive cost compared to what you got. It's a family owned business.

Bad news....  these types of snorkel trips will no longer be allowed for now, as well as diving in the southern zone of the island.  They are shutting down ALL access to the reefs from Palancar south, to include El Ceilo and Columbia.  It has really upset all the diving community on Cozumel as that takes away half of the dive sites, and all the best ones IMHO.  They say its only for 3 months and they will re-evaluate at that time, so Oct-Jan.  They say it is due to coral damage due to many factors, too much to get into here.  Just wanted to let you know.... nobody will be able to dive or snorkel in that area for now.

On 9/27/2019 at 11:11 AM, ABQrobin said:

Bad news....  these types of snorkel trips will no longer be allowed for now, as well as diving in the southern zone of the island.  They are shutting down ALL access to the reefs from Palancar south, to include El Ceilo and Columbia.  It has really upset all the diving community on Cozumel as that takes away half of the dive sites, and all the best ones IMHO.  They say its only for 3 months and they will re-evaluate at that time, so Oct-Jan.  They say it is due to coral damage due to many factors, too much to get into here.  Just wanted to let you know.... nobody will be able to dive or snorkel in that area for now.

Well that sucks. Where can I find more details? I can't imagine the snorkelers doing any damage...the reef is too deep to touch. So that leaves the divers...which I can't imagine them damaging them either unless they just have a bunch of careless divers but I would hope that a dive master would tell them no-no. Weather related?

32 minutes ago, mitsugirly said:

Well that sucks. Where can I find more details? I can't imagine the snorkelers doing any damage...the reef is too deep to touch. So that leaves the divers...which I can't imagine them damaging them either unless they just have a bunch of careless divers but I would hope that a dive master would tell them no-no. Weather related?

I don't think it is anything to do with divers or snorkelers.  There is a coral disease that is spreading thru the Caribbean and has now shown up on some deep area brain coral.  This is not just happening to Cozumel, but all over the Caribbean.  

MY opinion is it is  a combination of factors= some environmental, some ship caused (cruise and cargo ballast water bringing the disease, sewage dumping and such), and some caused by the massive buildup of resorts along shore areas which are polluting.  Bring in warming sea temps and the very delicate corals are going to be impacted.  

They are closing the reefs in order to "study" the coral and see what they can discover is the cause.  I understand that scientists in Fla Keys have been looking at this also and it is much, much worse there.  From reports this week, they are saying the restricted area will be re-opened in mid-Dec.  Not sure if that is true, just the latest report I have from friends in Coz.  

On 10/4/2019 at 2:48 PM, ABQrobin said:

I don't think it is anything to do with divers or snorkelers.  There is a coral disease that is spreading thru the Caribbean and has now shown up on some deep area brain coral.  This is not just happening to Cozumel, but all over the Caribbean.  

MY opinion is it is  a combination of factors= some environmental, some ship caused (cruise and cargo ballast water bringing the disease, sewage dumping and such), and some caused by the massive buildup of resorts along shore areas which are polluting.  Bring in warming sea temps and the very delicate corals are going to be impacted.  

They are closing the reefs in order to "study" the coral and see what they can discover is the cause.  I understand that scientists in Fla Keys have been looking at this also and it is much, much worse there.  From reports this week, they are saying the restricted area will be re-opened in mid-Dec.  Not sure if that is true, just the latest report I have from friends in Coz.  

I feel like you are right about it not having to do with divers or snorkelers...from what I have read here and there.

I have seen the coral dying and turning white in several locations I have been to. I wonder if they will be closing any other destinations in the Caribbean in the near future. I do know that the white dead coral can bounce back and rejuvenate itself. Even that happens with the coral in our fish tanks. They can turn completely white and appear dead for months and months and then all of a sudden start to come alive again. Hopefully the corals will do the same with this "time-out" period.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, dancingfish said:

We booked a snorkling trip and have not been notified- I wonder if I should pick something else now?

What dates and where is it going to snorkel?  

The closure is only to the southern reefs and only scheduled until mid-Dec right now.  

20 hours ago, ABQrobin said:

What dates and where is it going to snorkel?  

The closure is only to the southern reefs and only scheduled until mid-Dec right now.  

I actually heard from the snorkeling group (Cozemel Cruise Excursions) and they have moved the trip (Cruise in Nov 19)  They are taking us to a different area, Villa Blanca and Tormentos.  

• Like 1

We have done this tour 2 years ago and we loved it!

It was my BF's first snorkel experience. The guide took the time to show us several corals and fish, taking pictures of them for us when they were too deep.

Once we got back on the boat, it was time to drink! The margaritas were out of this world!!!

They then brought us to a beach for a while (was it Playa Mia? Not sure I forgot), there was inflatable games in the water, open bar.

Then we danced on the catamaran until we got back to the port!

We are leaving Sunday for another cruise, stopping again in Cozumel, and we might book it again!