Embarcation Day Fun!

CJJSanchez

Hi Expert Cruisers, 

Does anyone have any info on what is open/available to do once you board the ship on embarcation day?  

My Mom and I are trying to decide what time to arrive within the boarding 'window'. 

If we arrive early, can we go to a restaurant, go to the pool, enjoy the Aqua Park activities on the ship (zip line etc), go get theater tix, or is all this stuff closed and dark until after the lifeboat drill anyway?  If things are open and there are things to do, we might get there on the early side, but if there is really not much happening until dinner time, we may arrive on the later side of the boarding window. 

Any advice or info? 

Thanks! 

There will be a dining room, the 24 hour place (o'Sheehans/Local/Blue Lagoon) and the buffet open for lunch. I believe that some ships may also have the likes of Margaritaville open if they have such venues.

Pools, aqua parks etc are all open. We sometimes pack swimming stuff in hand luggage so we can use them before luggage arrives, and it is relatively quiet.

Last time I was on a ship with one, the Ropes Course opened at 4.30pm (after muster drill)

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Thanks 1

If you need to book shows or specialty dining, that can be done as soon as you board.  We generally arrive at the port between 10-10:30. Never a long wait and board as early as possible. Gives us plenty of time to explore the ship and enjoy a tropical drink on the pool deck before the muster drill. ☀️🍹😎🎉

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, OHRiverRats said:

If you need to book shows or specialty dining, that can be done as soon as you board.  We generally arrive at the port between 10-10:30. Never a long wait and board as early as possible. Gives us plenty of time to explore the ship and enjoy a tropical drink on the pool deck before the muster drill. ☀️🍹😎🎉

Thanks!  There are some shows that say they cannot be booked online in advance, so we want to make sure we get tickets as soon as able. 🙂 I don't think our ship allows boarding until noon, but I guess we could get there a little early to checkin?

1.  A great time to acquaint yourself with the ship, find all the restaurants and bars and just get a good feel how to navigate throughout the ship.

2.  Have a great sit-down lunch, the buffet will be packed!

3.  Get your favorite drink (or two!!!!)

4.  They'll have an area where you can make reservations and be able to review all the menus from the specialty restaurants.

4.  As soon as you get to your cabin get your Freestyle Daily and go completely trhough it to see what is going on that day, there will be some drawings to enter (such as free spa treatments) as well as plenty of other events.

Have FUN!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, adam_s_allen said:

I think if you arrive early and have to wait in the terminal you can download the NCL app and connect to the ships wifi and you might be able to book reservations on that.

50 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

What ship and port are you sailing out of? Might be able to give you some more specific advice for booking methods and venues/locations if you can provide that detail.

Awesome, thank you!  We are on the NCL Breakaway Nov 10th.   A couple shows don't seem to be able to book ahead of time (Rock of Ages, and a couple others)

42 minutes ago, CJJSanchez said:

Awesome, thank you!  We are on the NCL Breakaway Nov 10th.   A couple shows don't seem to be able to book ahead of time (Rock of Ages, and a couple others)

Boarding out of Miami usually starts between 11:00 and 11:30. The Garden Cafe (buffet), O'sheehan's, and either Taste or Savor (MDRs on deck 6) will be open for lunch. Reservation desks for dining and shows will be set up in or near Headliners, also on Deck 6. Your rooms likely won't be ready until around 1:30 and your luggage may not arrive until as late as 7:00. Make sure to pack swim gear in your carry-on if you want to do pools or water slides before dinner. You should receive a a copy of the Freestyle Daily at check in at he pier, but if you don't you can pick up a copy near the Guest Services desk onboard. That will have times listed for when everything will be open as well as give you a list of the day's activities.

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, OHRiverRats said:

On Breakaway you can make your entertainment reservations at the Box Office, Deck 7 forward. Definitely book comedy shows as well as Rock of Ages (great show!).

Thank you! I didn't see anything about Comedy Shows so I will look for them! 

2 hours ago, OHRiverRats said:

On Breakaway you can make your entertainment reservations at the Box Office, Deck 7 forward. Definitely book comedy shows as well as Rock of Ages (great show!).

If I remember correctly, there are also a number of touch-screens placed around the ship where you can make your reservations.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, julig22 said:

If I remember correctly, there are also a number of touch-screens placed around the ship where you can make your reservations.

There are. What I liked about going to the Box Office was they had a list of entertainment for the entire cruise.  I could see the schedule for the whole trip and pick the shows I needed to book. I'm one of those crazy planners that doesn't freestyle well!

• Thanks 1

Maybe do a search in the forums for the dallies for your ship when its on a similar sailing might be helpful. I just read through some for our upcoming cruise. That was helpful for me to see what might he offered the first couple days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CJJSanchez said:

Thank you! I didn't see anything about Comedy Shows so I will look for them! 

There will probably be a few comedy shows throughout the week. They are usually first come first serve, I don’t think you can make reservations for them. 

• Thanks 1

We've always made reservations for the comedy shows as soon as we board. There is a standby line for the shows, but the venue is small so it fills up quickly.  The usually offer a show in the theater. But we prefer the ambience of the smaller shows in Headliners. 

• Thanks 1