Funky upgrade assignment on the Gem?

PortFees45

So I just upgraded to a balcony (yay). 

I got assigned to 8524 on the Gem, which is a B2 balcony. However under my account, it's listed as a BX balcony. The Gem doesn't have have any balconies that are actually BX categories (like the 4 on the Breakaway-class ships), so does this mean I could still get some other final assignment? I've upgraded a few times in the past but never to a BX category. 

Gem is expected by some due to empirical evidence to go in to dry dock some time in 2020 after which re-categorizing of staterooms would be common.  The Gem Deck Plans graphic currently shows two layouts, one before October 30, 2020 and another after that date.  Is your itinerary sooner than that?  The stateroom I have booked in January 2021 is listed as a BA.  But that same stateroom is a BB according to that graph.  Whatever it says on your account is what you'll be staying in.  The differences that can change a category can something as insignificant as taking out the twin beds and putting in a solid queen.

Edited by MotownVoice

Just now, MotownVoice said:

Gem is expected by some due to empirical evidence to go in to dry dock some time in 2020 after which re-categorizing of staterooms would be common.  The Gem Deck Plans graphic currently shows two layouts, one before October 30, 2020 and another after that date.  Is your itinerary sooner than that?  The stateroom I have booked in January 2021 is listed as a BA.  But that same stateroom is a BB according to that graph.

I sail next Friday. 

1 minute ago, KeithJenner said:

Doesn't BX mean it is a guarantee category?

If so then I suspect that this is your allocation and it is unlikely to be changed again (although I've never booked a guarantee, so I'm not sure of the rules).

Yeah but if I was assigned to a B2 cabin, why wouldn't it say 8524 (B2) instead of 8524 (BX).

BX is usually the category you have for a sailaway/guarantee booking while your final assignment is still pending - hence my confusion. 

1 minute ago, PortFees45 said:

Yeah but if I was assigned to a B2 cabin, why wouldn't it say 8524 (B2) instead of 8524 (BX).

BX is usually the category you have for a sailaway/guarantee booking while your final assignment is still pending - hence my confusion. 

I see what you mean. I thought maybe it still showed that category even after allocation.

My guess is that it is just an oddity in the way the system is showing it. If you sail next Friday then I suspect this is your final allocation, but I suppose you never know.

58 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

So I just upgraded to a balcony (yay). 

I got assigned to 8524 on the Gem, which is a B2 balcony. However under my account, it's listed as a BX balcony. The Gem doesn't have have any balconies that are actually BX categories (like the 4 on the Breakaway-class ships), so does this mean I could still get some other final assignment? I've upgraded a few times in the past but never to a BX category. 

My 2017 - 2019  NCL catalogue reads 8524 & 8024 as Privasea ( partially enclosed ) balcony and does have bx’s On the deck 8 legend only.

56 minutes ago, Son of a son of a ... said:

We got a BX on Breakaway ... it is one of the large balconies far forward maybe on deck 8.  I understand you are on a different ship, but BXs do exist.

I said as much in my initial post.

"The Gem doesn't have have any balconies that are actually BX categories (like the 4 on the Breakaway-class ships)"

6 hours ago, MotownVoice said:

Gem is expected by some due to empirical evidence to go in to dry dock some time in 2020 after which re-categorizing of staterooms would be common.  The Gem Deck Plans graphic currently shows two layouts, one before October 30, 2020 and another after that date.  Is your itinerary sooner than that?  The stateroom I have booked in January 2021 is listed as a BA.  But that same stateroom is a BB according to that graph.  Whatever it says on your account is what you'll be staying in.  The differences that can change a category can something as insignificant as taking out the twin beds and putting in a solid queen.

Oh neat.  Yeah, it looks like it has a cruise ending in Boston on Nov 13 2020, and then nothing scheduled until it leaves New York on Nov 30, 2020.

I'm sailing on the Gem in mid October; that's far enough out that scheduling troubles with the drydock shouldn't be an issue, yeah?