Packing help and a food question

I think sweatshirts and/or wind breakers would be fine.  As Fred said, you can pick up cheap ponchos when you get to this coast just in case of rain.  I would not buy any "special" clothing just for the trip unless you were already in the market.

I travel with the freebie ponchos you get when visiting Niagra Falls.  We still have them so they also keep storms away.  🤣

• Like 1

Have fun! One of these years I would love to do a fall color cruise.

You have lots of good suggestions here already. I will just ditto the wear things more than once. Underwear would be the biggest difficulty for me and yes, I know you can do your undies in the bathroom sink- I just don't want too 🙂

Your kids will enjoy making memories with you. My family camped as kids, and my boys were Scouts....who says you can't have fun in the great outdoors?

Agree that you should pack for seven days.  If need be, use the laundry special when it is offered on the ship.  We usually send out undies, shorts, t-shirts, P.J.s.  Yes, I know, they go into a large washer in hot water, but we have not had any major issues because we don't send delicates or anything I would be heartbroken to lose.  

Hope you and your family have a great cruise.  

• Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 8:10 AM, matj2000 said:

Are you really flying cross county to do a New England cruise and bring young kids?

They are going to be bored after the first day because those small ships don't have much too do.

Probably be to cold to use the pools. 

You should go too FL and sail one of the newer, larger ships.   

My 3 kids were younger(2-13) in 90's all there was Sovereign/Majesty and Vision Class ships. Never Bored in half dozen Cruises. And this traveling with a Single Parent(Dad). My Daughter takes her Daughter on them even today. Also smaller ships of Vision and Radiance have enclosed pool that most of larger ships don't. Kids can use them when Cruise experiences Rain or Cold weather

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

My 3 kids were younger(2-13) in 90's all there was Sovereign/Majesty and Vision Class ships. Never Bored in half dozen Cruises. And this traveling with a Single Parent(Dad). My Daughter takes her Daughter on them even today. Also smaller ships of Vision and Radiance have enclosed pool that most of larger ships don't. Kids can use them when Cruise experiences Rain or Cold weather

He didn't know who he was talking to. This is our kids' 11th cruise and their favorite line is Holland America! LOL. Well-behaved, respectful kids who are well-traveled? Yes, entirely possible. They don't need the kids club, though will probably visit for some video game play. They will dress nicely, have good table manners, absolutely enjoy the live entertainment (including live music) and spend time with mom and dad almost the entire trip.  He can keep his sour puss attitude. Doesn't phase me one bit! 🙂

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SwimCarrie said:

He didn't know who he was talking to. This is our kids' 11th cruise and their favorite line is Holland America! LOL. Well-behaved, respectful kids who are well-traveled? Yes, entirely possible. They don't need the kids club, though will probably visit for some video game play. They will dress nicely, have good table manners, absolutely enjoy the live entertainment (including live music) and spend time with mom and dad almost the entire trip.  He can keep his sour puss attitude. Doesn't phase me one bit! 🙂

Thank you...

2 hours ago, wishuponasea said:

Living in the midwest, layers are important. Tee shirt under a sweatshirt. So, when cool in the morning, you can peel off a layer and be comfy when it gets warmer. Have fun! I know you will!!  🙂

California girl here...do I wear a long sleeve shirt under or short sleeve for the beginning of October?

• Like 1

I would go with a short sleeve under the longer sleeve/sweatshirt. I'm going to WA state tomorrow (non cruise) and am wearing a short sleeve tee shirt under a regular long sleeve shirt, but bringing 1 more tee and 1 sweatshirt. Cool in the am and pm, maybe warmer mid day. You will be fine with options! On the plane/to save luggage space....good to wear the heavier items. Can always take off a layer during the flight and change when you arrive at your destination, if needed.  Sounds like you are seasoned travelers though and know all this!  🙂

I would suggest packing cubes since you will be sharing suitcases. A different color for each child or person. When unpacking just put the cube in the drawer.  It also keeps the suitcase neat, clothes aren't moving around so less wrinkles.

I also agree on the ponchos, they cost very little at Walmart maybe a dollar or so, easy to pack and carry for those just in case rainy days.