Luggage cable ties

denys222

Need help.I'm confused.I'm reading that we should not put padlocks on our luggage so it can be opened if needed,but yet we should use cable ties to secure zippers and such. Cable locks or ties are usually for one time use and need to be cut for access inside luggage.Other devices such as the

Austin House Tamper Gard are available but not readily available.

When do I tamper proof my suitcases? Just after airport security?If so will they cut the tags before embarkation?

We never tampered proof our luggage before, but after readings some reviews on these boards maybee we should.

Thanks to all who take the time post reply to these threads as the same concerns must resurface again and again.

I must have copied and pasted 20 pages of info in the couple of weeks since I joined CC's.

Has anyone found a way to correct the spelling? Write document in Words and tranfer to this message boards?

Keep it simple.

The whole goal is to make your suitcase a nuisence for someone, like baggage handlers, to try to steal from your suit cases. Ties work great because someone wanting to pilfer thru your bags would not have easy access. They would have to go out of their way to cut the ties.

The ties I use are self release... but you can't tell that by looking at them.

Take anything of value... passports, ID, medicine, etc. with you on your carry-on. Include a pair of nail clippers so you have something to clip off the ties once you arrive at your destination.

I use the cable ties... and each time my cable ties are cut off and my luggage inspected . always a note in there.

Last time I did not put my batteries in the checked luggage and my cable ties came back still intact.

If going through the screening they see something== they will unlock it to inspect. Cruiselines do not unlock the luggage..

This time I am not locking my luggge.. there is nothing in there worth taking... and will lock it before i hand it to the porter on the ship.

I must have copied and pasted 20 pages of info in the couple of weeks since I joined CC's.

Has anyone found a way to correct the spelling? Write document in Words and tranfer to this message boards?

I have written messages in Word, then copied and pasted it into these boards. Is that what you mean? You can then run spellchecker in Word to fix up misspellings.

Also, if you go "advanced," at the top right of the place where you type there is a spellchecker icon.

I hope that answered what you were asking.

Thanks all for the information.

If I cable tie my checked luggage, airport workers are probably used to cut them, without tearing the suitcase apart.

You are right Michelle,spell check on top toolbar does work fine.

Used to use the cable ties - always remember to take extra with for the trip home. Put them on before you leave home and don't take them off until you are on the ship. If you have a pre or post cruise - you will need extras to get to and from hotel.

For the last few years we have been using the TSA approved locks - no problem with them.

We had a TSA lock cut off, they didn't just cut the lock, but also cut the zipper pulls that the lock fits in. When I brought the suitcase in for repair, they see this a lot. They told us that sometimes the TSA employee just doesn't want to go get the key and uses a quick method of opening your bag.

Archived