Luggage Question

Negril60

I last cruised in 2013 with Princess. They had an option of paying $30.00 per person , they take your luggage the last night of cruise and you pick it up when you return at your home airport . Does Carnival offer anything like this?

9 minutes ago, coevan said:

I have heard this on a few threads. What I don't get, is to check your bags inside or with a Sky Cap, a ticket and pictured ID is required by TSA. How do you bypass security?

When you check your bags at the ticket counter or at the curb, none of those accepting agents are TSA.  They work for the airline (inside, sometimes outside) or a valet service (outside).  All they are required to do is make sure that your ID matches the name on your boarding pass.  The port valet agent on your ship can easily do the same thing when you enroll on board for port valet.

Basically they are doing the exact same thing the guys at the airport curb are, except they're transporting your luggage miles and miles instead of just from the curb to the airport.

Many hotels offer the same service in big cities.

46 minutes ago, ParrotRob said:

When you check your bags at the ticket counter or at the curb, none of those accepting agents are TSA.

Well aware of this, we fly alot. I just did not understand where the picture ID comes into play. I guess with all the check in kiosks, the ID might not be needed until TSA.  Sounds like a great way to go if you have a late afternoon flight and want to explore. 

12 minutes ago, coevan said:

Well aware of this, we fly alot. I just did not understand where the picture ID comes into play. I guess with all the check in kiosks, the ID might not be needed until TSA.  Sounds like a great way to go if you have a late afternoon flight and want to explore. 

The accepting agent is required to ensure they accept baggage only from ticketed passengers.  They do this by comparing your boarding pass to your ID.  That check can happen at the counter, at the curb, or twenty miles away on your ship, doesn't really matter.

I agree it's a great way to explore, care-free.  More cities should offer something similar.  Especially Miami.

20 hours ago, Straitlover said:

I asked about this a little while back. I was told that Carnival discontinued this program.

If this is the case, that sucks.  We drove for our cruise last year, but the year before that the program was intact.  I am flying for our cruise in 2 months and I willingly pay the extra fee per bag for us to not have to mess with them until we land at home.

On 9/2/2019 at 1:42 PM, grammymarcia said:

If your doing an Alaskan cruise out of Seattle, the City and Port Authority do that for free. I believe this is the only port that does it. It was fantastic for our cruise a few weeks ago.

You are correct.  None of the Carnival ships on which we have sailed in the past several years offer this program.  So unless you are returning from Alaska you have to either carry your luggage off the ship or send it down the night before and carry it out of the terminal and take it to the airport.

On 9/2/2019 at 6:19 PM, coevan said:

Even if you use a check in kiosk you have to take your bag to an agent that checks your ID and boarding pass.