Help from experienced Cabin Crawlers...

Pandot

Hey all!

Our Roll Call has a very active group (woot woot) and is running several events, including a cabin crawl.  We got a much larger "signup" than I expected - which is awesome - but lots of people make cabin crawling challenging.  We are a group of 40 for the crawl.  We are seeing 5 types of cabins and playing a "poker" game during the crawl.

Any suggestions on how to stagger the crawl, so 40 people don't descend on one cabin at a time, the cabin "show-ers" don't miss out on the "crawling" and we can get everyone their playing card at each cabin?

We are starting the crawl at DBH and may end it there as well, given the placement of the cabins themselves.

Thanks for all the feedback - I'm playing with some ideas, but figure there is experience out there - why not take advantage of that wisdom. 

We had 40 signed up for a cabin crawl on the Star with 8 cabins to show.  The suites are a huge draw.  We split into two groups and had 2 crawl leaders with printed copies of the cabins being shown and in which order.  If there were 2 people in a cabin being shown, 1 was in each crawl group.  If only 1 person in a cabin, they waited for the second group and joined that group for the rest of the crawl.  We didn't do a poker draw, but I guess you could also do that in 2 groups?

Think I have worked out a system that will work - (dividing group into smaller groups, staggered start, with cabin hosts in the first group.  Cabin hosts stay at their cabin until all groups have passed through then join the last group, identified by the presence of the coordinator (me) and continue to finish the rest of the crawl.  There is a map/instructions for efficient means of accessing each cabin in order and bringing everyone back to starting point, to wrap up poker game.  Start and stop points are at a lounge so that those who are waiting (for their staggered start or for the last groups to finish) have a place to mingle and a way to occupy their time.)

Still open to any and all suggestions.

Check your cruise itinerary & time, and for Bermuda - you can do this on Day 3 instead of trying to jam everything into Day 2 ... M&G, Slot Pull & Cabin Crawl.   We did & had huge turnout, not just sign-up (remember that 75% to 80% actually show up, on average - sometimes less for Cabin Crawl & Slot Pull.  

We did ours in the afternoon, giving Room Stewards time to clean up & tidy up all 5 cabin categories in the morning with reminders from the cabin "hosts" - you don't want strangers to walk into messy staterooms that should get disaster declarations ... not been cleaned & straightened out. 

Take into account crawlers with mobility issues, if any, and, logistics for elevators - easier to walk down 1 or 2 decks vs. going up with 15 or 20 folks in tow, going in opposite directions.  Make use of the Haven member's portable phone, if available & be sure to speak to & alert the Haven team (concierge, etc. - nobody like surprises or strangers wondering around loosely ... )  Keep it simple - the Group Event Coordinator & GM's Secretary are your best friends onboard, reach out to them although you will likely heard from them shortly after boarding the ship - check your voicemail.  

Have fun & do fill out those Vacation Hero cards, they deserve and earned it by being helpful.  

We had a very active roll call on a Panama Canal cruise we did several years ago and we did our Cabin Crawl on a different day than we did our meet and greet I believe.  We saw everything from an inside to the GV.  We also had a "poker run".  I don't remember us splitting into groups because we showed our cabin and I remember seeing all the cabins so I don't think I had to go to our room and wait for people.  I do remember it being crowded getting into the rooms and waiting for people to come out so others could go in.  We started in one of the clubs and ended in the same club to see who had that best poker hand.

On 9/2/2019 at 11:17 PM, mking8288 said:

Check your cruise itinerary & time, and for Bermuda - you can do this on Day 3 instead of trying to jam everything into Day 2 ... M&G, Slot Pull & Cabin Crawl.   We did & had huge turnout, not just sign-up (remember that 75% to 80% actually show up, on average - sometimes less for Cabin Crawl & Slot Pull.  

We did ours in the afternoon, giving Room Stewards time to clean up & tidy up all 5 cabin categories in the morning with reminders from the cabin "hosts" - you don't want strangers to walk into messy staterooms that should get disaster declarations ... not been cleaned & straightened out. 

Take into account crawlers with mobility issues, if any, and, logistics for elevators - easier to walk down 1 or 2 decks vs. going up with 15 or 20 folks in tow, going in opposite directions.  Make use of the Haven member's portable phone, if available & be sure to speak to & alert the Haven team (concierge, etc. - nobody like surprises or strangers wondering around loosely ... )  Keep it simple - the Group Event Coordinator & GM's Secretary are your best friends onboard, reach out to them although you will likely heard from them shortly after boarding the ship - check your voicemail.  

Have fun & do fill out those Vacation Hero cards, they deserve and earned it by being helpful.  

Thanks MK! 

We have actually split our two sea days : First sea day is MG and cabin crawl (with time for lunch or a smaller group of LRC in between).  Our slot pulls and pub crawls are on the second sea day (Tuesday).  Is scheduled for the pm - check.  I like the idea of the portable phone option.  Thankfully the suites we are seeing are not in the Haven proper :)  Less panic-inducing, but the cabin host is definitely letting the Haven Team know.

I remember from the last (much smaller) group I hosted that they did reach out to me.  Will be ready for them again :)

And yes, yes, yes to those vacation hero cards!

Thanks so much!