Spending a night ashore

Janet&Carl

There is no reason you can not do this, it is advisable to inform either your room steward or information desk. Although this is not a rule.

All checks are done just before the ship actually leaves any port not when on an overnight stay.

22 minutes ago, Janet&Carl said:

HI, Its been mentioned on our roll call that some would like to spend an overnight stop that we have in a hotel onshore.  Has anyone done this ? Do you have any information that might help?

We have done a couple of nights away from the ship, there are just a couple of things to take into consideration:

1. Which port(s) are you considering, Europe - no prolem, India - wary, Far East - depends, Indian Ocean (omly Mauritius, Seychelles - just do it).

2. Check with Costa to see if possible and what requirements have to be met by yourself and Costa.

3. When onboard inform Guest Relations which ports and approximate times. Leave your mobile phone number, name and telephone number of hotel just in case. In case of an emergency or the ships has to leave port early.

4. Leave valuables in the cabin safe, you will have to decide if to take your passport or just a copy (I always have it as a pdf on my mobil).

5. If it is a tender port, what time to the tender run, all night or a cut off time.

6. Most important of all, enjoy yourself, I see you are head to the Maldives, if you have time try to get to the Seagull Restgaurant (one of the few places where you can get a beer).

• 2 weeks later...

During one of my cruises with Costa in Asia, a lot of passengers spent night in hotels in Bangkok. Port Laem Chabang is located in industrial area far away from the city so it was good option. Costa asked only anybody who wants do this, to collect passports from reception desk (they were picked up by Costa in Singapur for entire cruise). Without passport it could be difficult to check in hotel in Thailand - and probably also in other countries.