How Many Kids?

erlyvon

7 minutes ago, erlyvon said:

Sailing Sensation in 5 days and expecting there won't be a many kids on board since schools are in session.  Am I correct in my assumption that we will have few children on board? 

It depends on if a kids sail free promotion was done. We didn't expect many kids on Glory but because of the promotion there were a good number, even though we sailed when schools were in session.

26 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

It depends on if a kids sail free promotion was done. We didn't expect many kids on Glory but because of the promotion there were a good number, even though we sailed when schools were in session.

Out of curiosity, when has Carnival offered a KSF promotion?

10 minutes ago, StolidCruiser said:

Out of curiosity, when has Carnival offered a KSF promotion?

Had to have been before our Glory sailing. Since we don't have kids sailing with us any longer I tend not to look at those things. (It is also entirely possible that I am confusing our Glory and Gem sailings.) In any event if they had a good promotion going on it would potentially increase the number of kids on a sailing.

There will be some kids, but likely not tons.  School just started in a lot of places, so you're not going to have tons of families who pull their kids immediately.  But, there's always some kids, whether it be people pulling their kids, non traditional calendars, homeschoolers, kids too young for real school, or something else.  I wouldn't expect to see several huge packs of kids wandering and taking over pools, but don't be surprised to see some.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, erlyvon said:

Sailing Sensation in 5 days and expecting there won't be a many kids on board since schools are in session.  Am I correct in my assumption that we will have few children on board? 

Nope, sorry.  It is hard to tell by the number of kids on board whether schools are in session or not.  

There will be the children that aren't in school yet as September and October used to be my fav time to vacation...once my son started school we are very restricted now.  There will probably be less of the kids roaming around as most of those kids are in school this time of year.  Definitely noticed less children on cruises I have taken in Sept, Oct, May.  

This probably comes under the heading of being a bad dad because when my kids were younger, I'd book us on long Holland America cruises (10 to 12 days) because they were so incredibly cheap on a per day basis. 

On one of these cruises during the school year,  there were only four kids on the entire ship (all mine). They had the run of the kids club and the one crew member who ran it. 

They're all much older now and to get them to want to go on cruises, I end up having to book Carnival because it's a lot younger crowd and there's lots more fun.  

When school is out, families do fill up Carnival ships. Certainly it's a lot less during school, but Carnival or Royal Caribbean are going to probably have at least some kids no matter when you sail.

If you really want to avoid children, hit a Holland America cruise of 10 or more days during the school season. Maybe some kids onboard when schools out, but on one of those long cruises during school season you could have no kids onboard. Most parents are too young to feel they fit in on Holland America and on top of that, most parents can't leave work for that long, while most kids can't miss that much school either, which is why that is such a safe bet on no kids.

Edited by Squadleader