Help for FLL and Miami

coolio111

We fly in and out of Fort Lauderdale. Cruise is out of POM.  There is 2 adults and 2 kids, one child needing a carseat/booster seat.

Have about 4 days before the cruise and 1 or 2 days after the cruise.

Want to go to the Sequarium, was thinking Evergaldes but seems hard with out having a rental car. Also want to try some alligator.

I was advised not to get a rental car because finding parking in Miami is very hard and expensive.

1)With the above plans should we stay at the same hotel or move closer to POM on the last day?

2) Restaurant you recommend for alligator and frog legs.

3) Hotel recommendations for Miami and For Lauderdale.

4) What else should we do with  the kids in Miami?

Thanks

Edited by coolio111

I don't have any issue parking in Miami and it's cheaper than other major cities. I've never understood the sentiment that it's impossible to park. Everyone in Florida drives and parking is generally plentiful anywhere you go. 

For alligator/frog legs and everglades tour, go to the original.... Coopertown.  You can do all of them there. 

For "what else to do"... That's very broad. If you rent a car, you could do a day trip to the upper keys. I'd be happy to give you an itinerary for that if interested. 

Lots of people stay at a hotel on the beach. Margaritaville is pricey but lots to do for families and located in an area with plenty to do outside the hotel. 

It doesn't make sense to change hotels to get closer to PortMiami. If you are in South Florida, you are close enough to not have to concern yourself with that. It's a reasonable drive from anywhere here. 

Edited by BNBR

4-days and 2-days after rent a car. The only thing that sucks is how much some hotels charge to park overnight. Otherwise parking in Miami is not bad at all. Sometimes can be expensive like an office building lot at 12pm on a weekday is not cheap, or a hotel lot on a Saturday night, but compared to other cities the same size Miami parking is cheap. Plenty of garages around town. 

Having a car will allow you to go to so many more places. 

For four days I suggest a location closer to the beach if not on the beach if doable in your price range. 

As for the Everglades, I don't see what time of year you are coming. I would not wish the Everglades from May-October to anyone. Maybe end of October it is bearable. 

Need a bit more information to help, like time of year, budget and what else you like to do see? 

Edited by Flymia
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Flymia said:

4-days and 2-days after rent a car. The only thing that sucks is how much some hotels charge to park overnight. Otherwise parking in Miami is not bad at all. Sometimes can be expensive like an office building lot at 12pm on a weekday is not cheap, or a hotel lot on a Saturday night, but compared to other cities the same size Miami parking is cheap. Plenty of garages around town. 

Having a car will allow you to go to so many more places. 

For four days I suggest a location closer to the beach if not on the beach if doable in your price range. 

As for the Everglades, I don't see what time of year you are coming. I would not wish the Everglades from May-October to anyone. Maybe end of October it is bearable. 

Need a bit more information to help, like time of year, budget and what else you like to do see? 

When trying to visit the Everglades May - Oct, it's not that bad if just doing a 30+ min airboat ride.  I would probably not go to Shark Valley, though. I'd hate to discourage a visitor from at least an airboat ride.  Or even a place like Sawgrass Recreation that has the airboats and a wildlife exhibit.  

But since they asked about frog legs and alligator specifically to eat, it seems Coopertown is THE spot, it's basically what they do.  And no reason not to do a nice airboat ride as they do them there, too.

Edited by BNBR

11 minutes ago, BNBR said:

When trying to visit the Everglades May - Oct, it's not that bad if just doing a 30+ min airboat ride.  I would probably not go to Shark Valley, though. I'd hate to discourage a visitor from at least an airboat ride.  Or even a place like Sawgrass Recreation that has the airboats and a wildlife exhibit.  

But since they asked about frog legs and alligator specifically to eat, it seems Coopertown is THE spot, it's basically what they do.  And no reason not to do a nice airboat ride as they do them there, too.

You have a point there. But OP just needs to be prepared for heat and mosquitos the size of bald eagles.