Norwegian Sun Panama Canal Cruise

Debs6475

We just booked a cruise for May 2020 to the Panama Canal aboard the Norwegian Sun. The price was amazing for an indoor 20 day cruise. Can anyone give me good information and how they liked the Sun. I have read some random reviews on line and I have watched some You tube videos but I trust Cruise Critic Members and their opinions. Any information will be welcome. Thank You

Took it through the canal in 2015, there was some good info available on board, had great views from the observation lounge. The staff, lead by a certain Eddie Spagetti from South Philly, made a great DVD of the ship going through the locks available to all..  Heard the ship had a good dry dock since.

We have been on the Sun but it was a lot of years ago and found it fine. The nice thing about the Sun being one of the "smaller" ships is that you are more likely to go through the old locks, which is a real plus.

Getting to see those locks and knowing the equipment and technology of the time that was used to build them is awe inspiring.

If you really want some good history of the canals building get a book by David McCullough titled Path Between the Seas. Excellent read and covers the building of the Canal from the very beginning when the French tried to build a sea level canal like the Suez Canal.

I sailed the Bliss to the Panama Canal in April and just got off the Sun last week. I would have no issue sailing the Sun to the Panama Canal. She is in good shape yet a fairly simple and small ship. Not a ton of activities but at a great price and a great destination I'd do it for sure .......  This cruise shouldn't be about the ship. Take lots of excursions with the money saved. 

I did a Panama Canal cruise on the Sun back in 2016 (Miami to San Diego).  Still one of my favorite cruises to date.  Here is a link to my review with plenty of photos of the Sun, the canal itself, and all the excursions we chose.  Our cruise was prior to the Sun's refurbishment.  Really enjoyed that ship, the perfect size.  Enjoy your cruise!

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2334907-review-of-panama-canal-cruise–14-nights-on-ncl-sun-october-14–28-2016-with-photos/