Catherine the Great HBO/Sky

dogs4fun

• 3 weeks later...

There's also Ekaterina on Netflix. Takes a little to get past the one bar score that is used to poor effect at dramatic moments in the series but...once I resigned myself to the fact that it was the ONLY weak link in an otherwise amazing series that, although I'm a major Helen Mirren fan I'm less keen on historic pieces done in English, Ekaterina is in Russian by phenomenal actors.

Also, great costumes, photography, everything. I was ready to study Russian history after I saw this and while I'm sure there's always a bit of drama added to sell something on television, I recognized the production team to be of a quality that would be less inclined to take liberties thus leaving me to think, wow Catherine!! And Peter....well, I won't say. 

Of course I'll watch Helen as Catherine, royalty playing royalty. But, as good as Chernobyl (that doesn't read right, I know) was, the minute it started I couldn't help wondering why it wasn't in Ukrainian/Russian. And yes, Ukrainian does sound different than Russian in case anyone wondered why I wrote them both out but anyone would probably notice it if one heard them spoken at the same time, same sentence. Not sure if it equates to hearing Italian in Florence vs hearing Sicilian (anywhere) or Italian in Taormina/Calabria but...they sound different for sure so best analogy I can come up with for the moment. 

I have a plethora of Scandinavian drama (I can't get enough) to recommend, film and television, most of the titles I need to look up but Trapped is Icelandic and season 2 came out not long ago, season 1 was amazing. The Protectors was Danish and terrific. A Man Called Ove is a film which was unexpectedly funny, charming. Five Evenings by Nikita Mikhailkov from the 70s is set in Moscow and I think was probably some subtle propaganda (probably all films had to be?) but was really good. Wild Strawberries is by Ingmar Bergman and is beautifully photographed and an interesting reflection on life by an older man. 

Thanks for the cultural recco Dogs4fun!! 🙂

Edited by Host Bonjour

1 hour ago, Host Bonjour said:

There's also Ekaterina on Netflix. Takes a little to get past the one bar score that is used to poor effect at dramatic moments in the series but...once I resigned myself to the fact that it was the ONLY weak link in an otherwise amazing series that, although I'm a major Helen Mirren fan I'm less keen on historic pieces done in English, Ekaterina is in Russian by phenomenal actors.

🙂

There is also a Catherine the Great series on Prime Video - Russian & dubbed in English. Very fascinating woman, old Catherine.

I love watching docudramas - have watched every "Catherine" I could lay my paws on. 😎

22 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

There is also a Catherine the Great series on Prime Video - Russian & dubbed in English. Very fascinating woman, old Catherine.

I love watching docudramas - have watched every "Catherine" I could lay my paws on. 😎

She was, and I hadn't fully grasped how amazing she was thinking she might have been a figure-head, rather than a full force to be reckoned with. So many women of the past were just...what's the term for royals, consorts? But not her, and I suppose not ER I, Victoria or even ER II although she works in different ways, in different times, and weathered unpopular phases, no less astounding in how she has endured over time. Plus I think secretly she has had influence not made public, but what do I know. 

I saw that on Prime, but I was hesitant to have a go. I'm not keen on dubbed work, I wish they offered the option to view in, as it gets billed in France, V.O., or version originale. I know...picky. But I suppose it's just guilt because regretfully, did not pay better attention in history classes I might otherwise have truly loved had my mind been less cluttered at the time, so I want the richest experience now with language and everything. 

Good one too, get your paws on... 😉 I'm down with that. Surely they watch with you. My Lily 🐶 was certain she was a queen. And, she was...

Edited by Host Bonjour

On 10/4/2019 at 6:06 AM, Host Bonjour said:

Of course I'll watch Helen as Catherine, royalty playing royalty. But, as good as Chernobyl (that doesn't read right, I know) was, the minute it started I couldn't help wondering why it wasn't in Ukrainian/Russian. And yes, Ukrainian does sound different than Russian in case anyone wondered why I wrote them both out but anyone would probably notice it if one heard them spoken at the same time, same sentence. Not sure if it equates to hearing Italian in Florence vs hearing Sicilian (anywhere) or Italian in Taormina/Calabria but...they sound different for sure so best analogy I can come up with for the moment. 

I

Oh my, I watch as many of those history docu movies as possible. And Host Bonjour, I had the same thought on Chernobyl. I truly enjoyed it. 

How did you like the Queen series?

2 hours ago, angie7911922 said:

Oh my, I watch as many of those history docu movies as possible. And Host Bonjour, I had the same thought on Chernobyl. I truly enjoyed it. 

How did you like the Queen series?

Are you referring to The Crown which is going into season three or maybe Victoria, which I believe is going into season four? I'm thinking perhaps the former, based on ER II, and if so, I've enjoyed thoroughly and have watched twice so far! It'll be interesting to see how Olivia Colman portrays HM, and I don't know who is playing Prince Philip or Princess Margaret. Or the Prince of Wales! Should be interesting!

If it was Victoria you were referring to, initially in season one, I was not keen on the series, preferring instead a version done years ago when Victoria was played by Victoria Hamilton who has been playing the Queen Mother in The Crown. She did an amazing Victoria, I thought, but season two and three of Victoria felt more believable to me than season one did. 

In historical dramas I probably teeter too close to the documentary/drama boundaries where I want everything to be as truthful and honest as possible, but then I suppose I still do want to be entertained and dazzled as well. (For example, the jewels in The Crown always mimic the authentic pieces but indeed look very fake, perhaps an unintentional weakness of HD technology? And no one is lending out the real ones from The Tower for filming, are they? Netflix, pay for quality fakes with those deep pockets!) I concede I can be a tough customer. ;) 

So I think all of this can really add to excitement leading up to a visit, whether it's preparing to visit the Winter or Summer Palaces, or in another land, The Tower or Windsor Castle, Buckingham Palace if one visits in August, or other historical sites. Or, upon returning home, revisiting places one just saw and thinking, wow, I was just there and here are stories that took place in these incredible structures. You can feel the presence or significance when standing there; it was that way in Chambord castle with the double helix stairway that Leonardo da Vinci designed and built for the place; I don't know why but it was overwhelming to be there knowing he had been there too, and made this thing for François centuries before. Or returning from a visit to Loch Lomond, after learning a song about Rob Roy while there, then coming to rewatch documentaries and films set there, yes Rob Roy and Braveheart. It's a rewind of (or preparation for) a trip. Since I'd arrived on Robbie Burns birthday, I was in for the full Scottish immersion and it came home with me, which suited me just fine. 

Now one of these days I've got to get to Ireland, where I'm also a citizen, and yes, I've been watching lots and lots of things, but much like with my grandfather, it isn't always easy understanding what they say and so subtitles are almost always ON. ;) 

(Just recently watched a limited series set in N. Ireland at a fictitious place by the sea, set in WWII which was sweet, about some American Airmen stationed there, think it was on Prime, quite good, part of my armchair prep.)

On 10/7/2019 at 11:57 PM, Host Bonjour said:

Are you referring to The Crown which is going into season three or maybe Victoria, which I believe is going into season four? I'm thinking perhaps the former, based on ER II, and if so, I've enjoyed thoroughly and have watched twice so far! It'll be interesting to see how Olivia Colman portrays HM, and I don't know who is playing Prince Philip or Princess Margaret. Or the Prince of Wales! Should be interesting!

yes that is the one I meant! Sorry getting a little older. The Crown. I always like these kind of series and I cant wait for the next season and what it will be like. I would love to know the title of the limited series about N. Ireland in WW2.

What is your opinion about "22 July"? (not really the same but I really like to know the stories behind a story)

I love seeing movies/series that have been filmed in the historical places I have been. It makes it so much more real, I mean you remember the feeling you had when you saw it in person, does this makes sense?

Edited by angie7911922
adding