Questionable pricing

coaster

Tried to pay for an upgrade from inside to outside. Did a mock booking and got a price before I called Royal. First agent made change and all was good. She read off total and it was higher than online price. Not so good...

She transferred me to resolutions and was on phone for 30 minutes. Reservations told me the price I saw online was for new reservations only.  I am before final payment on our Rhapsody cruise In January. I thought I am entitled to the lowest price before final payment. I said I need to be switched back to my inside if the online price for the outside can’t be honored. Finally got it switched back to the inside. Have paid to upgrade many times before final payment in the past without complications. What is the deal now with Royal making you jump through hoops to pay extra and upgrade at the online price?

Edited by coaster

There are some promotions that are only available to new bookings, and for some the way that port fees and taxes are calculated is based on the date of the original booking. I think it has to do with the contracts they have with the ports.

If you booked a refundable deposit and are willing to jump through the hoops you can book a brand new reservation and cancel the original reservation.

2 hours ago, coaster said:

... What is the deal now with Royal making you jump through hoops to pay extra and upgrade at the online price?

Could have been one of the prices on the weekly sales flyer.  Sometimes they enforce the "new bookings only" provisions on those.

Was your inside booking made with non-refundable deposit? If not, cancel and rebook to get there outside cabin at the online price you like. Even if you have a non-refundable deposit, if the difference in the online price and what they quoted you is more than $200, it might still be worth cancelling and rebooking.

I wouldn't think it is a weekly sale as the cruise is too far out. I assume it is non-refundable as I paid $200 to switch from Empress to Rhapsody. No desire to suffer through the repetitive brunches on Empress again.

I did click on something that said deal and that lowered the price online, but I would think it still would be honored for an existing reservation before final payment. Anyway, just sticking to my inside. Outside not worth what Royal wants over the phone.