Palma de Mallorca DIY - NEW

Host Bonjour

1 minute ago, martyap said:

My understanding is that RCCL usually docks ay Estacio Maritima. Are there different parts? Dique de Oeste? Muelle de Poniente? Are they near each other? 
thank you

Hi , I am not sure which Quay  ,you will Dock at. 

The Estacio Maritima is the best Quay  as is nearest  to the town.

If you Dock at Dique de Oeste is is a long way to get to the town .

https://www.portsdebalears.com/en/palma/facilities#anclaPuertos

Roger b 

3 minutes ago, roger b said:

Hi , I am not sure which Quay  ,you will Dock at. 

The Estacio Maritima is the best Quay  as is nearest  to the town.

If you Dock at Dique de Oeste is is a long way to get to the town .

https://www.portsdebalears.com/en/palma/facilities#anclaPuertos

Roger b 

Thank you….not sure if there is a way to find out in advance

11 minutes ago, martyap said:

Thank you….not sure if there is a way to find out in advance

Looks like only one other ship in port that day the much smaller Oceania Maritima

36 minutes ago, martyap said:

Looks like only one other ship in port that day the much smaller Oceania Maritima

You might  be lucky,Oceania Marina is a small ship , but there is plenty  of space on the main terminal quay 

It's  a long walk  just  to get the gates at westerly quay ,but I think they will have shuttle buses or you can get a taxi.

Roger b 

1 hour ago, roger b said:

You might  be lucky,Oceania Marina is a small ship , but there is plenty  of space on the main terminal quay 

It's  a long walk  just  to get the gates at westerly quay ,but I think they will have shuttle buses or you can get a taxi.

Roger b 

Thanks

The Oceana is small so we might be lucky. We have been to Palma a few times….taxi to Mercat de l’Olivar and then stroll back eventually ending near the Cathedral

19 minutes ago, martyap said:

Thanks

The Oceana is small so we might be lucky. We have been to Palma a few times….taxi to Mercat de l’Olivar and then stroll back eventually ending near the Cathedral

Somewhere  you have not been on the way ??

Stop for a coffee at the oldest coffee  shop in Palma .

https://canjoandesaigo.com/en/home/

Roger b 

• Like 1

On 3/25/2024 at 3:05 PM, roger b said:

Hi, 

Both beaches will be very crowded in August,you will find a bed on the Palma Nova beach you can't book one ,Illetas is much smaller and has a limited number of beds.

Personally I would still go to Illetas as it is far prettier , there 3 beaches there with a mix of sand and rocky shoreline.

If you are there around 10am you will definitely find a bed .if you book the restaurant for lunch it is excellent.

It will be Hot !!

Roger b 

Hello! We are also coming to Palma in early August and planned to book at Balnearos Illietas. Our ship arrives at 12 but there is still late availability. We are a family of 5 and I wondered if you knew of anyways to rebook a taxi or transfer to the beach club? Or will it be easy to find a taxi for 5 at the port? Can the beach club arrange for a taxi back? Thanks so much for your help!

15 minutes ago, mgel728 said:

Hello! We are also coming to Palma in early August and planned to book at Balnearos Illietas. Our ship arrives at 12 but there is still late availability. We are a family of 5 and I wondered if you knew of anyways to rebook a taxi or transfer to the beach club? Or will it be easy to find a taxi for 5 at the port? Can the beach club arrange for a taxi back? Thanks so much for your help!

Hi,

Taxi from the port for 5 will be difficult as they only take 4 people, there are larger taxis ( few and far between) .

An Uber is bookable they have larger cars to take 5.

https://www.uber.com/es/en/r/cities/taxi/palma-es-ib-es/

Coming back to the port the restaurant will call you a taxi or Uber, if very busy you can get the number 4 bus from outside the Balinerrio which will take you close to the port .

Ask the driver to let you off at Porto Pi otherwise, it will be two taxi's.

Roger b

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, roger b said:

Hi,

Taxi from the port for 5 will be difficult as they only take 4 people, there are larger taxis ( few and far between) .

An Uber is bookable they have larger cars to take 5.

https://www.uber.com/es/en/r/cities/taxi/palma-es-ib-es/

Coming back to the port the restaurant will call you a taxi or Uber, if very busy you can get the number 4 bus from outside the Balinerrio which will take you close to the port .

Ask the driver to let you off at Porto Pi otherwise, it will be two taxi's.

Roger b

@mgel728 - Are any of the 5 small children? If so, the taxis will likely take them. If all are adults, just take two taxis.

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, marazul said:

@mgel728 - Are any of the 5 small children? If so, the taxis will likely take them. If all are adults, just take two taxis.

Yes I did not think of this a taxi should take small children.

Roger b 

On 3/30/2024 at 8:41 AM, marazul said:

Youngest kid is 10, other 2 are 14 & 15. It might be easier to just do 2 cabs now that you say that? If there is lots of availability of cabs.

9 minutes ago, mgel728 said:

Youngest kid is 10, other 2 are 14 & 15. It might be easier to just do 2 cabs now that you say that? If there is lots of availability of cabs.

There should be plenty of cabs, but a single cab should take all of you. Spaniards are very accommodating of children and families. Two cabs is your fall back option.

7 minutes ago, marazul said:

There should be plenty of cabs, but a single cab should take all of you. Spaniards are very accommodating of children and families. Two cabs is your fall back option.

Thanks so much. I’m so glad to hear this. We are pretty small people size wise so fitting is not an issue as long as a driver would be agreeable. Can’t wait to visit!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mgel728 said:

Just a heads up on the availability  of taxis ,last year in in August  it was impossible to find a taxi, the council  are trying  to address  the issue  for 2024. 

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com/holiday/travelling/2023/05/24/113309/mallorca-transport-warning-taxi-shortage-again-this-summer.html

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked before.  I am sailing on RC Oasis of the Seas departing Barccelona 18th August.  19th we are in Mallorca.  Silly question incomming..... Is it possibly to just get of the cruise and walk into the city/beach/harbour area?  As it's our first day we want to take it at our own pace, might get off at 9, might get off at 12.  Just wandring if we are able to walk off and wander around the city or do we have to get transport from the port? Thank you!

32 minutes ago, Woozisuzi said:

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked before.  I am sailing on RC Oasis of the Seas departing Barccelona 18th August.  19th we are in Mallorca.  Silly question in ,

comming..... Is it possibly to just get of the cruise and walk into the city/beach/harbour area?  As it's our first day we want to take it at our own pace, might get off at 9, might get off at 12.  Just wandring if we are able to walk off and wander around the city or do we have to get transport from the port? Thank you!

Hi,

If the ship docks at the main cruise terminal on the Passeo Maritimeo it is a 30-minute walk into town, the nearest beach is in Cala Mayor also 30 mins in the opposite direction.

the ship docks at the Dique de Oeste , you will have to get a taxi or a shuttle into town.

Roger b

1 hour ago, roger b said:

Hi,

If the ship docks at the main cruise terminal on the Passeo Maritimeo it is a 30-minute walk into town, the nearest beach is in Cala Mayor also 30 mins in the opposite direction.

the ship docks at the Dique de Oeste , you will have to get a taxi or a shuttle into town.

Roger b

Thank you Roger, 30 mins is doable - is it easy to find?

Another question.... how do we know where it docks.  Will we find out in the morning or beforehand while on the cruise?  Thanks!

1 hour ago, Woozisuzi said:

Thank you Roger, 30 mins is doable - is it easy to find?

Another question.... how do we know where it docks.  Will we find out in the morning or beforehand while on the cruise?  Thanks!

I have a feeling that you will dock at the main terminal, just walk along the seafront towards the cathedral, you can't get lost !! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Woozisuzi said:

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked before.  I am sailing on RC Oasis of the Seas departing Barccelona 18th August.  19th we are in Mallorca.  Silly question incomming..... Is it possibly to just get of the cruise and walk into the city/beach/harbour area?  As it's our first day we want to take it at our own pace, might get off at 9, might get off at 12.  Just wandring if we are able to walk off and wander around the city or do we have to get transport from the port? Thank you!

We intend to do the same thing. We’ll be arriving on the Oasis on Monday, June 17 from 8 am - 4 pm. and it was recommended by Roger to visit Palma & the Mercat and just wander leisurely around town at own pace.

I keep hearing about a possible shortage of cabs. Has this issue been resolved & are cabs readily available at the cruise port & in Palma for the return trip back to the port?

Thanks.

21 minutes ago, Racer70 said:

We intend to do the same thing. We’ll be arriving on the Oasis on Monday, June 17 from 8 am - 4 pm. and it was recommended by Roger to visit Palma & the Mercat and just wander leisurely around town at own pace.

I keep hearing about a possible shortage of cabs. Has this issue been resolved & are cabs readily available at the cruise port & in Palma for the return trip back to the port?

Thanks.

I think all taxi issues  have been  resolved,  you are not coming  at the height of the season , so you should have no problem. 

Roger b 

• Thanks 1

Hi Roger,

We are looking at booking the Oasis Catamaran for our group of 21 when we're there in August, and I understand from the company that it's 6-7 minute drive from the port.  They gave me a quote for a transfer, but do you know if there are city buses we can take as well?  Or given our group size if it's easier to just do the transfer through the company?  I don't want to worry about having to find 5 cabs at once to take us all. 

50 minutes ago, speedster said:

Hi Roger,

We are looking at booking the Oasis Catamaran for our group of 21 when we're there in August, and I understand from the company that it's 6-7 minute drive from the port.  They gave me a quote for a transfer, but do you know if there are city buses we can take as well?  Or given our group size if it's easier to just do the transfer through the company?  I don't want to worry about having to find 5 cabs at once to take us all. 

Hi,

It's about 5mins in a taxi and about 12 eu for 4 from the main cruise  terminal. 

So work it with their  quote or you could walk  around 20/ 30 mins.

Roger b 

Hello Roger B!  I see your favorite cruise line is Oceania - it is ours also!

We will be on Vista at the end of September and will stop in Santa Cruse de la Palma, a new port for us.  We are a group of 9.  What would your recommend for first timers to do?  Tour?  DIY? Would very much appreciate your advice so I can start planning. We are pretty much open to anything. 🙂 Thanks for any help you can provide!

17 minutes ago, gbits said:

Hello Roger B!  I see your favorite cruise line is Oceania - it is ours also!

We will be on Vista at the end of September and will stop in Santa Cruse de la Palma, a new port for us.  We are a group of 9.  What would your recommend for first timers to do?  Tour?  DIY? Would very much appreciate your advice so I can start planning. We are pretty much open to anything. 🙂 Thanks for any help you can provide!

Hi 

Santa cruse de Palma is an island in the Canary  Islands group  and is in the Atlantic ocean. 

Unfortunately  this not Palma de Mallorca, so I can't help you 😢 

Roger