Solarium pool

This will be our first time with RCI and I have a question about kids and the solarium pool area. I understand that it is an adult only area and I believe my kids will respect that also. However, we have been to many spas in Europe, where my girls would pop in to let us know how they were doing or if there was a change in plans. If I turn my walkie talkie OFF. Do you think it would be frowned on, if they just check in and then leave the area?

It is the pools and hot tubs that are "off limits" to kids, on many ships there are food places in the Solarium area that are open for kids (in many cases it is the pizza place that is located there). Children are allowed to walk through the area to get from pt A to pt B.

Be aware that on some 'cold weather' iternaries there are scheduled times when the Solarium pools are open to families. I have also seen times when the weather on a 'warm weather' iternary has been bad enough that they have scheduled family times.

Remember, if the Solarium is OOB for kids, Adventure Beach is OOB for adults! :D

. . . I felt so bad for these deck crew as they were the brunt of angry, yelling parents who couldn't seem to follow the rules

. . . but of course all the the chairhogs who were sans-children were perfectly civil about having their 'territory' challenged ;)

Now, on the other hand...you cant blame the kids too far. Where does the problem start? Adults not teaching their kids propper manners is the bulk of the problem. I know some kids just dont listen, but thats life.
Sorry thats not life. Thats what parents were made for to make children listen.

Now, on the other hand...you cant blame the kids too far. Where does the problem start? Adults not teaching their kids propper manners is the bulk of the problem. I know some kids just dont listen, but thats life.

Sadly it always boils down to the adults and not the children. Unfortunately there are parents out there that think they are on vacation from their kids too.

A woman with her toddler in diapers is in the hot tub. Crew Patrol saw her & told her to get out, no diampers allowed. So she whips off the diaper, throws it to the ground & gets back in with the baby. An immediately exit for the 6 of us in it. Sure enough within 2 minutes black turds were floating in it with mom & baby relaxed nursing.

That evening we saw mom changing a diaper on a table in the buffet.....

You know, I am a mother of 2 small ones (3 & 6yrs) but geez what's wrong with poeple that they can't keep their kids out of adults only places? I remember once taking my kids to the kids club and then going to the pool to relax and BAMMM there were a couple of kids! Drives me nuts!

A woman with her toddler in diapers is in the hot tub. Crew Patrol saw her & told her to get out, no diampers allowed. So she whips off the diaper, throws it to the ground & gets back in with the baby. An immediately exit for the 6 of us in it. Sure enough within 2 minutes black turds were floating in it with mom & baby relaxed nursing.

Sounds like a good way to get the hot tub all to one's self! ARghhhh, what is WRONG with some people!!!

Frankly, I feel like I am the only one on the planet who's not wild about the Solarium (maybe it will be different on FOS, as I will for sure want to try out the fancy whirlpools). IME, it's always been *too* mellow and quiet for me. I tried relaxing in there with my mother on my last cruise, and I lasted about ten minutes. The breeze, action, and sounds of the steel drum band in the main pool area are more for me.

That's the best thing about cruising though...a vacation that everyone can taylor to their own preferences!

Tracy

On a Grandeur cruise a few years ago, it was so bad that I and many of the other adults took to calling security every 30 minutes or so. They did nothing. A group went to the Pursers Desk; they did nothing. I left a note for the Hotel Manager. He did not response except to post a sign up at the Pursers Desk saying they were aware of the problems and were contacting parents, as it was their responsibility to supervice their kids.

I have had this problem to lesser extents on other RCI ships. Only on Serenade did the rules get enforced.

That would have been my last RCI cruise. I am booked on an upcoming RCI cruise, and need to keep the reservations for various reasons, BUT, my only consolation has been thinking about the Solarium area, which I do appreciate the adults only.

Marie

Archived