Mazatlan Question

Michelle66

We are going on the new Carnival Panorama this New Year's and need some help.  I have been to Cabo and Puerto Vallarta many times, but am a little leery about Mazatlan since even the cruise ships stopped going a few years back. I think all we want to do is go to a specific restaurant in the Gold Zone and probably just walk around there. I was wondering about transport there from the Cruise dock. I know its about 6 miles away so too far to walk. Should we prebook transport or is there enough taxi's when you get off. This new Carnival boat has over 4,000 passengers and with it being a new years cruise I am sure it will be full so not sure if we will be fine or if I should prebook a transfer. Has anyone went recently, I know not on the Panorama since it doesn't even sail until mid-December but maybe at port with other ships at the same time?? Thanks for your help!! 

Edited by Michelle66

5 minutes ago, rhinomike said:

Good question. We just booked the same cruise about 10 minutes ago. And yes there are not many cabins left. 

We booked in March of 2018 🤣🤣I always want a specific room just booked for New Years 2021 on the Mardi Gras wanted the corner excel suite it has its own jacuzzi!! We do an every other New Years Cruise with friends because it is so much fun to be on a boat on New Years 🎉🍾🥂they price match if the price goes down so why not book early 😀

I have been to Mazatlán many times.  Most of the taxis in Mazatlán are golf carts, and there are many of them waiting for cruise ship passengers in need of transportation.

From the ship, the port provides "free" shuttles from shipside to the terminal building.  Mazatlán is a working port, and passengers are NOT allowed to wander -- the shuttle is mandatory.  Once you leave the terminal building (lots of vendors there), you will be inundated with taxi drivers!

Once you get to the Golden Zone, even before you get out of your golf cart, the competing drivers will be asking you if you need a ride!  

I was going to Mazatlán before the troubles, and I have been going ever since the cruise ships returned.  I do NOT feel at all leery (except when a pretty girl -- never mind!!).  I go to the downtown area (the Cathedral and the Market) by foot or golf cart, I go to the Golden Zone, and I take the ferry to Stone Island -- and never a problem.  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

I have been to Mazatlán many times.  Most of the taxis in Mazatlán are golf carts, and there are many of them waiting for cruise ship passengers in need of transportation.

From the ship, the port provides "free" shuttles from shipside to the terminal building.  Mazatlán is a working port, and passengers are NOT allowed to wander -- the shuttle is mandatory.  Once you leave the terminal building (lots of vendors there), you will be inundated with taxi drivers!

Once you get to the Golden Zone, even before you get out of your golf cart, the competing drivers will be asking you if you need a ride!  

I was going to Mazatlán before the troubles, and I have been going ever since the cruise ships returned.  I do NOT feel at all leery (except when a pretty girl -- never mind!!).  I go to the downtown area (the Cathedral and the Market) by foot or golf cart, I go to the Golden Zone, and I take the ferry to Stone Island -- and never a problem.  

Thanks for the feedback!! I feel the same about Cabo, Cancun and Puerto Vallarta I have never felt unsafe but then again I am not wondering the streets late at night usually in a resort! Ok then if o don’t have to worry about it a taxi it is! You wouldn’t remember about how much a taxi was to gold zone would you? Just wanted to compare it to when I get a quote on the private transport we have 8 in our group so thought it would be nice to stick together if it’s not too much more 😀

We went to Mazatlan in March.  Finding a taxi will NOT be a problem.  We took a package (that we just bought in port) where we went to Stone Island, so I couldn't tell you about the Golden Zone taxi rates (I kind of wish we would have done all that downtown stuff in retrospect).  But like the other poster said, you will have no shortage of taxis and other people movers willing to take you there.  Other threads on Cruise Critic might have taxi pricing. 

Other than taking the usual precautions (that you would take in the States, quite frankly), I didn't feel unsafe at any time.  Especially at the terminal shopping area, there was a concerted police presence, which was reassuring.  I think if you stick with the main tourist areas in larger groups, there should be no problems.  

For a golf cart from the Golden Zone back to the ship, I think the price is about $12 to $15.  But for a group of 8, you will need a mini-van, and I do not know (1) how easy they are to pick up, and (2) how much they cost.  I've never taken one in Mazatlán.

You might need to have one of the hotel valets/doormen get one for you.

3 hours ago, Michelle66 said:

We booked in March of 2018 🤣🤣I always want a specific room just booked for New Years 2021 on the Mardi Gras wanted the corner excel suite it has its own jacuzzi!! We do an every other New Years Cruise with friends because it is so much fun to be on a boat on New Years 🎉🍾🥂they price match if the price goes down so why not book early 😀

Good for you. That’s great. I wish we planned that good. I would of saved some money. I paid for 3 cabins so my adult kids could go too.  It was pretty expensive booking this late. 

4 minutes ago, rhinomike said:

Good for you. That’s great. I wish we planned that good. I would of saved some money. I paid for 3 cabins so my adult kids could go too.  It was pretty expensive booking this late. 

I am a planner!! The cool thing is even if you end up having to cancel you only lose $50 of your deposit pp and can move the rest to another cruise. That is if you get the restricted deposit which is usually the case if you pay half of a normal deposit! Oh well last minute is fun too, except for the pocket book!! You will have fun with your family on a brand new boat!! 

• 3 weeks later...

Pulmonia's (golf cart taxis) are plentiful and very affordable.  If you are looking for a great restaurant in the Golden Zone I would recommend Pancho's on the beach.  Spent a week in Mazatlan in August and went to Pancho's twice.  Beautiful location, beachfront, great food, and complimentary appetizer and after dinner drink.   You will have a great time whatever you choose to do in Mazatlan.  Can't wait to go back next year.

• Like 1