Millennium vs. Constellation

Wanderlust30

My DH and I were on the Millennium back in October and were a little disappointed (service, food, cleanliness, etc.). Don't get me wrong it, it was I great cruise but not quite what expected of X.

I have read posts on this board and in the reviews of people have similar issues with Millennium. Now we are considering a Caribbean on the Constellation in January 2007. I was wondering if people have found significant differences in food, service, and cleanliness between Millennium and Constellation.

Hi wanderlust 30

I was cruised with the Millenium, when she was alsmost new in 2001 ( inaugural season) , the Summit twice and the Constellation, also when she was brand new. On my last X- Cruise, Summit/ Alaska, last May, Summit was 4 years older then when I cruised with her before. Did not see any changes or wear and tear. Although I must say that I am not a " look under every carpet" person. I found all the ships, spottless clean and very well maintained. No difference at all.

Greetings

Michael

We have sailed on all 4 M-class ships and would rate the Millennium as not being up to the standard we are use to. Can't point out the what it is but just not the same as all the rest. The Connie out of the 4 has to be the best in our view. Service outstanding, in all repects, everyone willness to make you want to come back. We are booked on the Infinity, once again for an upcoming cruise in April.

Dave and Elaine

I have not sailed on Milennium but have reading these boards fairly frequently over the past few months and it seems that a disproportinate number of compliants have been posted by those who have recently sailed on the Millennium. The compliants are all pretty consistent with regards to service and housekeeping issues. The concerns are too similar and frequent not to have validity. Many of the concerns seem to deal with the same issues; poor service, tired staterooms and odors. Hopefully, the higher ups at Celebrity are aware of these problems and are trying to resolve them.

We are booked to sail on the Millennium in June Barcelona to Venice. We are very much looking forward to our cruise, but must say that my expectations for what to expect on the Millennium have been significantly lowered based on many of the comments I have been reading. I have seen no where near the number of compliants regarding the other ships in the Millennium series.

We sailed on the Constellation in July of 2003 on the British Isles and Norweign Fjords cruise. It was the best trip of our lives. The ship, service and itinerary were exceptional. It truly was everything and more than we could have hoped for. We also sailed on the Infinity San Francisco to Vancouver (10 day Alaskan cruise) this past summer and it was terrific as well.

It would be great to hear from those who have sailed both the Millennium and Constellation recently for comparison.

Happy Sailings,

Nancy

We have sailed both and found little difference between the two. So much is wropped up in your individual experience... your waiter, cabin steward, etc and then of course the length of cruise and your like or dislike of the cuisine. Our Connie cruise was 2 wks on the Baltic and the Millie was one wk on the Carib. with all of our family--so very different experiences.

We have sailed Millenium 3 times and Constellation once. The ships are very similar but I do like some of the features of Millenium. Platinum lounge is one of them - It is amazing how the color and lighting can make a different atmosphere.

Having said that - I found that the level of service, food and professionalism was a smidge better on Constellation. I would not turn down a cruise on either.

My DH and I were on the Millennium back in October and were a little disappointed (service, food, cleanliness, etc.). Don't get me wrong it, it was I great cruise but not quite what expected of X.

I have read posts on this board and in the reviews of people have similar issues with Millennium. Now we are considering a Caribbean on the Constellation in January 2007. I was wondering if people have found significant differences in food, service, and cleanliness between Millennium and Constellation.

Have never sailed the Millennium (the only M-Class we've somehow missed), but found the Constellation (a bit less than a year ago) in top shape, and with well prepared and served food - definitely up to our expectations of a Celebrity ship. Our only gripe about the ship vs. Summit and Infinity was the goofy artwork in the stairwells (but the corridor carpet was cooler). If that's all a person can find to complain about ... :p

In the last couple of years we have sailed the med with the Millennium, the Baltic with the Constellation and the transAtlantic with both. We have thus had the benefit of the port intensive and the more leasurely days at sea with both vessels. It is my opinion that they are both very beautiful, well maintained and excellently staffed. Love to travel on either one at any time.

With the exception of the decore, color schemes and art work the ships are very similar. While the staffs are both well trained there are, of course, personal differences when considering that they are made up of individuals. The Captains where much different as to their visibility and public appearances, but this made little difference in our enjoyment of the cruises.

I feel that we often form impressions that are based on the total experience of a cruise, and some events may cause one to judge a cruise ship more harshly if some unpleasant occurance may have colored our perception of the voyage. We are looking forward to sailing the Constellation on the Canadian itinerary soon, but would just as quickly sail the Millennium if it offerred a similar set of ports of call.

Petert

Sailed Millennium 2/05 and Constellation last week. They are very similar. We loved them both. Maybe Constellation was just a little nicer in that every staff member we encountered did a perfect job, and the whole crew really is trying to do so. This may have something to do with the Conde Naste rating 2 years in a row, as our maitre d" alluded to the pressure being on to do it a 3rd time.

We sailed in Millennium last May-June, Venice to Barcelona. She needed some exterior paint here and there, but otherwise the vessel was well-maintained and I wrote very complimentary e-mail (a rarity for me) to X praising them for what I felt was the best cruise so far.

Sailing in Summit in April to Hawaii. Haven't been in her since November, 2003 to Western Caribbean. Only complaint then was the barrel chairs in the lounges - very uncomfortable. All in all, she was a beauty. Six cruises, so far, five on X. Nary a complaint from us.

The concerns are too similar and frequent not to have validity.

All negative comments on Millennium are coming from guests of two cruises: the November 2005 transatlantic and the January 2006 Cape Horn cruise. The first was delayed by three days due to an extended dry dock, the second missed two ports due to bad weather. For the delayed transatlantic, Celebrity arranged 3 nights hotel in Barcelona for all guests as well as a 20% refund, yet passengers kept complaining all the way across the ocean. As for the missed ports on the Cape Horn cruise: Celebrity does not control the weather.

What happens though is that passengers are so upset that they suddenly dislike every aspect of their cruise: the service is bad, the ship is in bad shape, the crew is inefficient, and so on. The funny thing is that these problems magically disappear as soon as the guests disembark; the reviews of Millenniums Carribean cruises in December were very positive, and the Panama Canal cruise right before the Cape Horn cruise was also given 5 out of 5 stars by a poster on this forum. I am confident that guest who are currently sailing around Cape Horn on Millennium will be quite positive as well. By following the webcam, I have noticed that there have not been any missed ports, and the wheather has been great. I am sure the service, the carpet, the cabin interiors and the dining room food will have improved significantly as well!

I sailed Millennium myself from Venice to Barcelona and have nothing but praise for its staff, service, food, shore excursions, etc. We had a blast. Relax and start looking forward to your vacation. It will be great!

Archived