Self Disembarkation?

dcl1710

Yes.  It works the same way on HAL.  The principal advantage is that you don't need to put out your suitcase the night before or search for it in the customs hall.   Depending upon the number of people using this option, you may or may not exit the ship faster than the conventional method.  There was a long line of people waiting inside the ship with their suitcases to exit when I used this option.

32 minutes ago, Frank5 said:

Yes.  It works the same way on HAL.  The principal advantage is that you don't need to put out your suitcase the night before or search for it in the customs hall.   Depending upon the number of people using this option, you may or may not exit the ship faster than the conventional method.  There was a long line of people waiting inside the ship with their suitcases to exit when I used this option.

The process itself may not be a lot faster, especially because of the need to carry/drag all of your luggage. But you do leave the ship before passengers going with the conventional method. 

We use self-embarkation all the time.  Despite telling passengers not to line up early, a line invariably forms as early as 6:45 a.m.  We never get in the line until we hear the announcement, calling for self-embarking passengers.  Normally, we're standing on the curb outside customs by 8 a.m., sometimes earlier.  

Various delays can and sometimes do occur, which play havoc with the best-laid plans.  You should allow yourself some time, which means not shaving it too close with an early flight.  When does your flight depart from Rome?  You should also factor in travel time from the port to Rome.  Have you considered this aspect?  

2 hours ago, dcl1710 said:

Have done this on Princess where you have to take all of your luggage and can self disembark early. Is it the same on HAL? Early flight from Rome.

Off the ship at 8:00am, shuttle to the gate will be 15 minutes and then it will be a couple of hours to Fiumicino airport, will that fit into the early flight plan?

24 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Despite telling passengers not to line up early, a line invariably forms as early as 6:45 a.m.  We never get in the line until we hear the announcement, calling for self-embarking passengers. 

Thank you for holding back until called to disembark. Those people who get there early create a bottleneck, which can be a huge problem for those who have cabins in that area. 

I use wheelchair assistance to disembark, so have to head to a specified meeting area. I have to leave my rented mobility equipment in the cabin, and have a terrible, painful, time getting myself to the assigned area while dragging my carry-on. 
As if that isn't hard enough, it's awful when I can't even get to the elevators because the entire area is jammed with people, and all their luggage, who can't be bothered following instructions to stay away until called. 

Thanks for all the advice. I agree with the CCer who waits until they call for self disembarkation. The cruise lines wants us off as fast as they can and know what they are doing. Our plane flight is at 12:50 so we are just trying to prevent any problems with security and whatnot. We do not know FCO airport so just want to have an easy end to vacation.

2 hours ago, RuthC said:

Thank you for holding back until called to disembark. Those people who get there early create a bottleneck, which can be a huge problem for those who have cabins in that area. 

I use wheelchair assistance to disembark, so have to head to a specified meeting area. I have to leave my rented mobility equipment in the cabin, and have a terrible, painful, time getting myself to the assigned area while dragging my carry-on. 
As if that isn't hard enough, it's awful when I can't even get to the elevators because the entire area is jammed with people, and all their luggage, who can't be bothered following instructions to stay away until called. 

Can you get wheelchair assistance from your cabin? I was able to arrange that for DH. Actually, I didn't specifically ask for that, they just told us to wait in the cabin. 

They tell people not to go down early, but people do. A lot of the ones who line up early aren't even on the self disembarkation. They just want to be first off when their group is called or hope to slip into line with the first group.

On one of the Vistas, they were using the Queens Room as an assembly point for Neptune Suite passengers, or maybe all groups as they were called.. We saw a fairly long line, but it didn't lead to that room. So I left DH and luggage in line in case that was it and went forward to ask where we were supposed to go. Our color/number was verified and then we were told that we didn't have to stand in the line, which was people who came down too early. So we sat in the Queens Room for a little while and then were called to leave. The rope line was set up in a way that the early birds couldn't just hop into line with us. I was impressed at how well HAL controlled it.

8 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Can you get wheelchair assistance from your cabin? I was able to arrange that for DH. Actually, I didn't specifically ask for that, they just told us to wait in the cabin. 

Once upon a time I could, but in the last few years that has been changed, it seems. 

Years ago I said something to the effect of how am I supposed to get to the wheelchair if I need a wheelchair to get to it? That was when HAL said they could pick me up. One problem with that was that I was the last one to leave the ship! I heard all the final call announcements more than once. 
A while back that service was discontinued. Why, I am not sure. It was a huge help. 

2 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Once upon a time I could, but in the last few years that has been changed, it seems. 

Years ago I said something to the effect of how am I supposed to get to the wheelchair if I need a wheelchair to get to it? That was when HAL said they could pick me up. One problem with that was that I was the last one to leave the ship! I heard all the final call announcements more than once. 
A while back that service was discontinued. Why, I am not sure. It was a huge help. 

Getting off the K (winter 2018) was delayed because Customs/Immigration processing was so slow that they stopped letting people leave the ship to allow the line to get shorter. We got a call saying "we were supposed to pick you up in 5 minutes, but it's going to be more like 20 or 25." OK, we weren't in a hurry. When we did get off the ship, we joined 3 or 4 other wheelchair-assistance passengers trying to figure out what to do next. Terminal staff had closed the line for wheelchairs, and we were all told to get in the long snake line with everyone else. We would be tying up wheelchairs for an hour! We finally argued enough that the woman let us go into the wheelchair line. Some people who have never had to deal with a mobility or other medical issue have no clue. And no empathy.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Some people who have never had to deal with a mobility or other medical issue have no clue. And no empathy.

Sadly, that is all too true. 
Even people who work on the ship don't always get it. I get sick of my very specific question to Shore Excursion 'What is the distance to ... .', trying to ascertain how far I would need to walk, being answered with 'not far'. 
Their 'not far' may be nothing like my 'not far'. Grrrrr. 

23 hours ago, RuthC said:

Ruth, could you not call someone to help you?  Even another passenger whom you've met on the cruise.  I know I wouldn't mind helping anyone who needed assistance.  Any of us could find ourselves in that situation at some point.  

The last time DH and I cruised, about 4 months before he died, I needed assistance getting us, with the luggage, to the wheelchair assistance meeting area.  His doctor wrote a letter, asking that we receive assistance, and HAL provided it.  I was shocked they agreed.  I guess I could have managed by taking my husband there and going back for the luggage, which I could handle by myself, but not together with my husband.  

I hate the thoughts of anyone struggling, especially when fellow passengers make it more difficult because of their inconsiderate behavior.  Too many in our society have a "me first" attitude.  Very sad commentary on modern life.

31 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Ruth, could you not call someone to help you?  Even another passenger whom you've met on the cruise.  I know I wouldn't mind helping anyone who needed assistance.  Any of us could find ourselves in that situation at some point.  

I hate the thoughts of anyone struggling, especially when fellow passengers make it more difficult because of their inconsiderate behavior.  Too many in our society have a "me first" attitude.  Very sad commentary on modern life.

Frankly, I never thought of asking at the Front Desk; I won't ask the cabin stewards, since they are so busy. When HAL stopped pick-up service, I just struggled along. Sometimes a kindly passenger takes pity on me and helps. When I sail with friends, one will come and get my carry-ons, and I just have to move me. That's not so bad, as long as the meeting lounge isn't too far. 

Thanks for the suggestion of asking for assistance.I'll try it next time. Being on my own for most everything in life, doing for myself is just my default position! 

4 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Frankly, I never thought of asking at the Front Desk; I won't ask the cabin stewards, since they are so busy. When HAL stopped pick-up service, I just struggled along. Sometimes a kindly passenger takes pity on me and helps. When I sail with friends, one will come and get my carry-ons, and I just have to move me. That's not so bad, as long as the meeting lounge isn't too far. 

Thanks for the suggestion of asking for assistance.I'll try it next time. Being on my own for most everything in life, doing for myself is just my default position! 

I hear you.  I now find myself in that position too.  My sweet husband used to take care of so many details that I never worried about anything.  Now I have to fret about the house and its maintenance, the yard etc.  It never ends.  

This summer, I'll discover traveling by myself for the first time since he died when I cruise New England/Canada on Zaandam.  I have mixed feelings about it.  Although I know I'll be okay, it's still a big step for me, as I'm a introvert.  I must take this step eventually because I can't keep depending on family and friends to cruise with me.

BTW, does anyone know if HAL still offers a roommate for singles?  Has anyone done this, if it's still available?  Considering it's still offered, how was it for those who've done it?  I probably should start a new thread instead of asking here.

13 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

This summer, I'll discover traveling by myself for the first time since he died when I cruise New England/Canada on Zaandam.  I have mixed feelings about it.  Although I know I'll be okay, it's still a big step for me, as I'm a introvert.  I must take this step eventually because I can't keep depending on family and friends to cruise with me.

The first time is tough. Very tough. As part of a couple you get used to relying on each other for company. But as a solo, you have to make the effort. Add to that, this is a Noah's Ark world, and solos literally can feel like a 5th wheel. Just sitting at a rectangular table is awkward, as the solo is the one facing the empty chair. 
Swallow hard and carry on.
And know that each cruise it gets easier and easier, until the day comes that you think nothing of it. I promise. 

45 minutes ago, RuthC said:

The first time is tough. Very tough. As part of a couple you get used to relying on each other for company. But as a solo, you have to make the effort. Add to that, this is a Noah's Ark world, and solos literally can feel like a 5th wheel. Just sitting at a rectangular table is awkward, as the solo is the one facing the empty chair. 
And know that each cruise it gets easier and easier, until the day comes that you think nothing of it. I promise. 

Touching response. I'm sure it will bring comfort to many. Thank you.

1 hour ago, sevenseasnomad said:

I hear you.  I now find myself in that position too.  My sweet husband used to take care of so many details that I never worried about anything.  Now I have to fret about the house and its maintenance, the yard etc.  It never ends.  

BTW, does anyone know if HAL still offers a roommate for singles?  Has anyone done this, if it's still available?  Considering it's still offered, how was it for those who've done it?  I probably should start a new thread instead of asking here.

46 minutes ago, RuthC said:

I second everything Ruth said here. For me the hardest part of solo travel is eating alone at dinner. I don't mind breakfast or lunch because they're quick meals, but for me there has always been a social/conversation aspect to dinner. That's why I ask for a large table. I like fixed dining, so I get to know the people I sit with and that helps me feel not so alone.

Sevenseas, how's your roll call? Have you met people there to perhaps share a tour with? If not, take some ship's tours and make the effort to chat with people on your tour. DO NOT hide out in your room. It may be difficult at first, but it gets easier. My SIL asked me if I felt awkward and did people ask me why I was traveling alone. I didn't feel awkward, probably because nobody questioned why I was on my own. I pointed out to her that cruises, especially on HAL, have lots of widows. A woman on her own is not an oddity on a cruise. On my Cunard crossing last fall, I was at a table for 6. Two women who had been friends for a long time, three men (two widowed, one traveling without his wife) and me. Our ages were all in the same range, probably no more than 10 years apart. I thought about it one night and realized, OMG, we're the oldies singles table!!!!