FLight Plan

brittany21

Just a couple of thoughts. Time changes can be confusing, so it would be a good idea when you have the exact flight info to go to the airline site and check the actual flight times (length of flight vs local time). Also, 40 minutes in SFO is pretty tight. Hopefully, you'll be departing out of the same terminal you come into, but if you are not--RUN. Also, if this was cruise line air, the schedule is not the fault of the TA, and in fact the TA may not have all the information from the cruise line yet. I would, however, see if your TA can ask the cruise line to make an adjustment if possible. They would probably want the deviation fee to select specific flights, that's what that fee is for.

For the return, if you get into LAX at 9:25 pm pst, you would need to depart LAX for PHL about 2:30 am pst (5:30 am Philly time) for the approximately 6 hour flight. That would get you into PHL about 11:20 local time (8:20 am pst)--or about a 6 hour flight. Still, it's a pretty long layover--I wouldn't like 5 hours in LAX. And it's not long enough to go do anything. But that's what happens when you use the cruise lines' air packages. It's almost like booking a guarantee cabin; you hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Also, be aware that even though you are using the cruise line's air, the ship will NOT necessarily wait for you if your flight is delayed. Often they will wait a specific amount of time, especially when there are many pax coming in on the same flight. They will not and cannot just wait interminably if a flight is delayed. Your TA is not quite right on that score. I do think a good TA would have tried to find you air independent of the cruise line. It's often cheaper and almost always more convenient. I think it sounds like your TA wanted the ease of putting everything on the cruise line without the TA doing the extra work of finding you flights (JMHO, of course).

Last question for brittany21: What do you mean that the TA sold you on using the cruise line's air "because you would have to pay the deviation fee"? What deviation fee? If you are getting whatever flights the cruise line assigns, you should NOT be paying a deviation fee; if you HAVE paid a deviation fee (if for example you are staying several days before or after the cruise), then it should cover choosing specific flights too. Get on the TA about this--it's just not sounding right to me.

beachchick

The deviation fees were $50 or 55 per person, to find out ur flight plan ahead of time before the 30 days prior to the trip, or to arrange ur airfare on your own. TA was so adament against this. She said the cruise line would no longer be on ur side, you would be entirely on your own. This is my first cruise, and i have no experience with this at all, so my family thought this was the best way to go. We are stayinng in Oahu one day before boarding the ship, but again we let NCL arrange this, instead of deviating, so they provide transfer from the airport to the hotel, and from hotel to ship. Therefore we have not deviated.

I think I've solved the mystery.

It must be more than a coincidence that you think you're arriving in Philly at 11:20a.m., and there is a departure from LAX at 11:20p.m.

It sounds as though you arrive in LAX at 9:25, leave 2 hours later at 11:20, and arrive in PHL at 7:23 a.m.

This isn't a bad connection at all. It just sounds as though your mother missed the ARRIVAL time, not the departure time when she was jotting everything down over the phone.

You are exactly right!!! I just got off the phone with the TA (actually she was not in, so i got her assistant) and u hit the nail on the head.

PHL- Flight 187 leave 840 am Arrive in SAN FRAN 11:57

SAN FRAN- FLight 75 leave 12:30 Arrive in HONOLULU 4:01

HONOLULU- Flight 82 Leave 2:05 Arrive LAx 9:25

LAX- Flight 196 Leave 11:20 PM Arrive in PHL 7:23 AM

So there is about a 2 hr layover at LAX... Not too bad... But just to clear things up, i was not complaining, hell its hawaii, i really dont care how i get there. I was just curious what other peoples experiences were like with layovers when they used the Cruiseline's air arrangements. Thanks for everyones help!!!

I am not the one paying for this trip, my mother is, so i can only give my inpt i do not ahve the final decision. I do t otally agree with you about the mediocrity of our TA, i have been unhappy with her from day one. My mom has a hard time even getting a hold of her when she has questions, but when payment was due, she was sure calling us... so i agree that she would push for commission. She sold us on staying with the cruise lines airfare b/c for 1. you would have to pay deviation fees 2. the cruise line picks u up at the airport 3. if there is a delay with ur flight the ship will wait for you.

Next time around we will know better..... tomorrow i will call the Travel agency myself to confirm this flight plan, as i said this is what i was given over the phone. They should have flight numbers by now as well..

First of all please know that if you book your OWN flights there is no diviation fee because you are not booking through the cruiseline you are just booking flights and so you pay whatever the best price for what you want is.

there is only a diviation fee if you are booking WITH the cruiseline but you want something better then they are offering or on a different day. you THEN pay both the diviation fee AND any additional cost of the fare.

you should almost always book your own air, NOTHING to do with the cruiseline. Be sure your mother knows that the cruiseline will not wait if you are late and does not take any responsibility as to the air arrangements it is just considered a courtesy to offer air. So don't let some agent get you with that one. At this point I would probably transfer my booking to another agent since this one is so inept. It is probably too late for you to book your own flights at a good price but do look and see since you can still cancel your cruise air arrangements if you find something better yourself. As for transfers, cabs are usually MUCH better, quicker and many times cheaper.

First of all please know that if you book your OWN flights there is no diviation fee because you are not booking through the cruiseline you are just booking flights and so you pay whatever the best price for what you want is.

there is only a diviation fee if you are booking WITH the cruiseline but you want something better then they are offering or on a different day. you THEN pay both the diviation fee AND any additional cost of the fare.

you should almost always book your own air, NOTHING to do with the cruiseline. Be sure your mother knows that the cruiseline will not wait if you are late and does not take any responsibility as to the air arrangements it is just considered a courtesy to offer air. So don't let some agent get you with that one. At this point I would probably transfer my booking to another agent since this one is so inept. It is probably too late for you to book your own flights at a good price but do look and see since you can still cancel your cruise air arrangements if you find something better yourself. As for transfers, cabs are usually MUCH better, quicker and many times cheaper.

Well, it looks like we got dupped, cause she told us the exact oppoiste what u have.

This is what we paid, we thought it was a pretty good price..

Guest fare- 3057.00

Government/taxes/fees- 191.86

Insurance- 437

Hotel- 327

Air- 2425.00

Total- 6438.06

This is for 3 people, with a picture window room. We called about 2 weeks ago to try to move up to a balcony, and they are all sold out.. :(

Well, it looks like we got dupped, cause she told us the exact oppoiste what u have.

This is what we paid, we thought it was a pretty good price..

Guest fare- 3057.00

Government/taxes/fees- 191.86

Insurance- 437

Hotel- 327

Air- 2425.00

Total- 6438.06

This is for 3 people, with a picture window room. We called about 2 weeks ago to try to move up to a balcony, and they are all sold out.. :(

Whoa!!! You paid over $800.00pp for coach air to Hawaii from PHL???

Flights to Honolulu from Philly are readily available all the time for about $625.00 on AA, US Air, United, etc. And if you would have booked Philly to LA and LA to Honolulu, you would have saved even more.

You would have saved at LEAST $200.00pp booking your own air. And your cruise price is out of sight. One night hotel for $300.00 + . Hope it's the Royal Hawaiian, NOT the Hilton Hawaiian village. Cab fare from HHV to the port is about $15.00 for the cab, NOT per person.

I booked my son and wife on an NCL, 7 night cruise, in a balcony cabin. Total price, WITH air, (no hotel or transfers) from Cedar Rapids Iowa (much more expensive than Philly), Thanksgiving week was $3487.96. Your TA should be REPLACED IMMEDIATELY. She did you NO favors. I would be asking for some of my money back. YOU GOT RIPPED.

Whoa!!! You paid over $800.00pp for coach air to Hawaii from PHL???

Flights to Honolulu from Philly are readily available all the time for about $625.00 on AA, US Air, United, etc. And if you would have booked Philly to LA and LA to Honolulu, you would have saved even more.

You would have saved at LEAST $200.00pp booking your own air. And your cruise price is out of sight. One night hotel for $300.00 + . Hope it's the Royal Hawaiian, NOT the Hilton Hawaiian village. Cab fare from HHV to the port is about $15.00 for the cab, NOT per person.

I booked my son and wife on an NCL, 7 night cruise, in a balcony cabin. Total price, WITH air, (no hotel or transfers) from Cedar Rapids Iowa (much more expensive than Philly), Thanksgiving week was $3487.96. Your TA should be REPLACED IMMEDIATELY. She did you NO favors. I would be asking for some of my money back. YOU GOT RIPPED.

The hotel is the Marriot Waikiki.... according to her NCL was giving us a deal and upgrading us to the better cabin.. im floored!!

Easy folks. Easy.....

Those of us that have been around know you can price shop, and should book your own flights, etc. etc.

BUT - the vast majority do what this poster did. They trusted the Cruiseline and the Travel Agent. It happens.

The good part is that the TA or Cruiseline was smart enough to get them there a day earlier. They often get folks in just in time to catch the ship and tough luck when they miss it.

Also, keep in mind that most people do not know how to check prices, etc. It really is not that hard to just go to the web sites, but most people are scared on the computer and still looking for the "any" key and think the CD tray is a cup holder.

Enjoy your trip.

Easy folks. Easy.....

Those of us that have been around know you can price shop, and should book your own flights, etc. etc.

BUT - the vast majority do what this poster did. They trusted the Cruiseline and the Travel Agent. It happens.

The good part is that the TA or Cruiseline was smart enough to get them there a day earlier. They often get folks in just in time to catch the ship and tough luck when they miss it.

Also, keep in mind that most people do not know how to check prices, etc. It really is not that hard to just go to the web sites, but most people are scared on the computer and still looking for the "any" key and think the CD tray is a cup holder.

Enjoy your trip.

I searched many different websites, i was all over this site, and foders.. expedia, travelocity, traavelworm, but i wasnt making the payments, so my m om felt more comfrtable letting a TA handle it, and she chose the wrong one..

The OP DID NOT book this herself. She trusted a TA. And the TA ripped her. The OP is obviously computer literate, so could have done some checking before she booked. And this is NOT her first post, so the questons could have been asked in advance.

But barring advance knowledge, that is the reason she (and her mother) trusted a TA. The TA took advantage and ripped them off. I would ask for money back.

brittany21

Sorry your TA is not up to date with pricing. We all live and learn. Next time, check it out before hand and KNOW what you are getting into. Enjoy your cruise.

Before anyone is SURE the poster was RIPPED, one must check the specs. different days, different promos, different cabins, etc all change the rate by quite a large amount some times.

Go to www.ncl.com and plug in the exact dates and exact category with the CORRECT number of passengers to see what they are currently selling for. Then go to the major sites like travelocity and see what they would charge. Don't foget to include taxes, port charges, fees and govt fees to compare apples to apples.

Enjoy the cruise.

Before anyone is SURE the poster was RIPPED, one must check the specs. different days, different promos, different cabins, etc all change the rate by quite a large amount some times.

Go to www.ncl.com and plug in the exact dates and exact category with the CORRECT number of passengers to see what they are currently selling for. Then go to the major sites like travelocity and see what they would charge. Don't foget to include taxes, port charges, fees and govt fees to compare apples to apples.

Enjoy the cruise.

Category EE, stateroom 8040 feb 26-mar 5 Pride of aloha

unfortunately it seems this cruise is sold out except for the owners suite so we can't really check it now.

I also think they really got taken and it is a real crying shame.

after we were booked and all paid up my mom ran into a patient who is a TA and she told her all about our trip. Well this TA told my mom to ask our TA about an upgrade, for free, if balcony cabins had not sold out yet, for her to keep on it and see if NCL would bump us up instead of sailing with these rooms empty. Well obviously this means nothing, now that we know its sold out but this wa s back in Nov. Our TA said she can not do this, that it cost da da da amount for a balcony... any experience with this?? Cause my mothers patient said it is a very common policy to u-pgrade to keep ur clients happy.

PHL- Flight 187 leave 840 am Arrive in SAN FRAN 11:57

SAN FRAN- FLight 75 leave 12:30 Arrive in HONOLULU 4:01

I'd be more concerned about this connection. You have 33 minutes, and the minimum connecting time is 30 minutes. So it's feasible, but there's quite a good chance that you will misconnect at SFO - you'd only need a 30 minute weather delay from Philly and you'd be stuffed. You need to be aware of this, and know what your options are if it happens. I think that your primary backup would be the next UA flight from SFO to HNL, which I think leaves SFO at 1630 and arrives in HNL at 2009, and then the last UA flight which goes from SFO at 1910 and arrives in HNL at 2247.

after we were booked and all paid up my mom ran into a patient who is a TA and she told her all about our trip. Well this TA told my mom to ask our TA about an upgrade, for free, if balcony cabins had not sold out yet, for her to keep on it and see if NCL would bump us up instead of sailing with these rooms empty. Well obviously this means nothing, now that we know its sold out but this wa s back in Nov. Our TA said she can not do this, that it cost da da da amount for a balcony... any experience with this?? Cause my mothers patient said it is a very common policy to u-pgrade to keep ur clients happy.

I cannot believe this TA your mother has. It is just horrible. You paid way too much for your cabin and yes upgrades are very common when that happens. This agent is shaddy at best and possibly worse.

It is also common that when you book a cabin at such and such a price and then the price drops in that category that you either get a refund or onboard credit OR an upgrade to a more expensive cabin in line with how much you paid.

I agree with the other poster about you having enough time to make your connection as well.

I cannot believe this TA your mother has. It is just horrible. You paid way too much for your cabin and yes upgrades are very common when that happens. This agent is shaddy at best and possibly worse.

It is also common that when you book a cabin at such and such a price and then the price drops in that category that you either get a refund or onboard credit OR an upgrade to a more expensive cabin in line with how much you paid.

I agree with the other poster about you having enough time to make your connection as well.

About the upgrades-yes, upgrades do happen. BUT only after the sailing is closed out-maybe after final payment or just a week or two before sailing. And that is only if the ship is NOT full. Your TA should have asked anyway and maybe there is an upgrade waitlist.

I found an email from one of the LARGE online TA's dated January 17. Balconies for your sailing were sold out. BUT the price for an oceanview was $929.00 + port for the first two and $479.00 for the third or fourth in the cabin. Now, as GARYCARLA posted, this may have been a special deal, so we may not be comparing apples to apples. Based on what I paid for the same cruise, on the same ship, at Thanksgiving (which is generally one of the higher rates), I think your Mom paid too much for the cabin.

But where you really got RIPPED was on the air and hotel. You can book the Marriott Wakiki TODAY for your dates on their website for a shade over $300.00 for THREE. That includes a rental car and breakfast. Taxi from the airport and to the pier should be no more than $45.00 total. So for $350.00 you get breakfast, a rental car, transport. $327 for transport and a hotel room is NO bargain.

I already posted about the prices of airfare. Your Mother's TA makes

COMMISSION on everything that is booked through the cruiseline. If it is booked independently, the TA makes little or no commission. So the insurance, the airfare and the hotel were where the TA made EXTRA money. IMHO, the TA was greedy ( or new and has no knowledge of the business). It is pretty obvious that the EXTRA money your Mom is paying for the hotel/transfers/air went right into the TA's pocket. It is truly a shame that you got ripped off and I believe you did. But we all live and learn. Don't come down too hard on Mom-after all she is taking you to Hawaii. Enjoy!!!

About the upgrades-yes, upgrades do happen. BUT only after the sailing is closed out-maybe after final payment or just a week or two before sailing. And that is only if the ship is NOT full. Your TA should have asked anyway and maybe there is an upgrade waitlist.

I found an email from one of the LARGE online TA's dated January 17. Balconies for your sailing were sold out. BUT the price for an oceanview was $929.00 + port for the first two and $479.00 for the third or fourth in the cabin. Now, as GARYCARLA posted, this may have been a special deal, so we may not be comparing apples to apples. Based on what I paid for the same cruise, on the same ship, at Thanksgiving (which is generally one of the higher rates), I think your Mom paid too much for the cabin.

But where you really got RIPPED was on the air and hotel. You can book the Marriott Wakiki TODAY for your dates on their website for a shade over $300.00 for THREE. That includes a rental car and breakfast. Taxi from the airport and to the pier should be no more than $45.00 total. So for $350.00 you get breakfast, a rental car, transport. $327 for transport and a hotel room is NO bargain.

I already posted about the prices of airfare. Your Mother's TA makes

COMMISSION on everything that is booked through the cruiseline. If it is booked independently, the TA makes little or no commission. So the insurance, the airfare and the hotel were where the TA made EXTRA money. IMHO, the TA was greedy ( or new and has no knowledge of the business). It is pretty obvious that the EXTRA money your Mom is paying for the hotel/transfers/air went right into the TA's pocket. It is truly a shame that you got ripped off and I believe you did. But we all live and learn. Don't come down too hard on Mom-after all she is taking you to Hawaii. Enjoy!!!

Yes, this is actually my graduation present from college... :)

nevermind enjoy the trip always get the facts before you complain...

my mom is going to call the TA and see if we can get moved to flight 77, its a 430 flight out of SFO, instead of flight 75, that is our 12:30..

Can anyone tell me if our luggage is checked all the way thru adn transfered from one plane to the next, or if we have to go get our bags from the claim, and thenb recehck for the next flight??? cause that would be completely impossible in 33 minutes.

If you are flying the same airline, it is checked all the way through.

We are keeping the same flight... The TA said that when the schedule flights that close like that the gates are really close and that they will tell us exactly where to go. If by chance the PHL flight is delayed they will either hold the next plane if enough people are on the delayed flight that are scheduled for the next flight, or we would just be put on the next flight. My moms decision is based on the fact that shed rather get to hawaii 4 hrs earlier then sit and wait around in an airport... i not making the final decision here... just wanted to update..

We are keeping the same flight... The TA said that when the schedule flights that close like that the gates are really close and that they will tell us exactly where to go. If by chance the PHL flight is delayed they will either hold the next plane if enough people are on the delayed flight that are scheduled for the next flight, or we would just be put on the next flight.

Your TA is wrong, they have no clue exactly which gates will be close together on which days. That excuse was floated to me a couple of months ago (not by my TA) to keep my original flights to San Juan that gave me a 32 minute connection at DFW - I happen to know there is a terminal change but they told me the gates would be "close." There is no guarantee there will be seats available on the next flight, or even any flights that day, so you may be waiting for multiple flights after that.

The TA said that when the schedule flights that close like that the gates are really close and that they will tell us exactly where to go.
I echo what wrp96 says. You're being spun a line. They haven't "scheduled flights that close" because the operations aren't being done for the benefit of your connection. Rather, you are being offered that connection simply because the arrival time of your flight and the departure time of the next flight happen to be close to each other. Which gates the respective aircraft will be at the terminal is unlikely to have anything to do with the fact that your connection is close. There may be people connecting from other flights with equally short times; the closer that the onward aircraft is to your arrival gate, the further it'll be from their arrival gate - and vice versa.

You may make the onward flight, but if you insist on keeping it, remember that you have a pretty good chance of not making it, and having to be reaccommodated on a later flight. It's your choice whether you want to take the risk - and many seasoned travellers will happily take the risk - but you need to know what the risks are. Don't let the TA fob you off with an untrue excuse simply to get you off their back and make life easier for you (which is what I suspect they're doing).

I echo what wrp96 says. You're being spun a line. They haven't "scheduled flights that close" because the operations aren't being done for the benefit of your connection. Rather, you are being offered that connection simply because the arrival time of your flight and the departure time of the next flight happen to be close to each other. Which gates the respective aircraft will be at the terminal is unlikely to have anything to do with the fact that your connection is close. There may be people connecting from other flights with equally short times; the closer that the onward aircraft is to your arrival gate, the further it'll be from their arrival gate - and vice versa.

You may make the onward flight, but if you insist on keeping it, remember that you have a pretty good chance of not making it, and having to be reaccommodated on a later flight. It's your choice whether you want to take the risk - and many seasoned travellers will happily take the risk - but you need to know what the risks are. Don't let the TA fob you off with an untrue excuse simply to get you off their back and make life easier for you (which is what I suspect they're doing).

ITA with you, but like I said, im not making the final decision. My mother said the TA actually got loud with her, and said that is a valid flight, and you will not have any problems... so we will see.... I voiced my opinion loudly, so if things go badly, all i can say is "I told you so" (well the board said so)

ITA with you, but like I said, im not making the final decision. My mother said the TA actually got loud with her, and said that is a valid flight, and you will not have any problems... so we will see.... I voiced my opinion loudly, so if things go badly, all i can say is "I told you so" (well the board said so)

Brittany, I wish you the best of luck and have a wonderful cruise.

My suggestion to you, since it is doubtful you will make that flight (and I realize you are dealing with stubborn people who won't admit they are wrong - I would keep the "I told you so" for the TA when you get back). Keep your cell phone with you. Have the number to United's customer service programmed into your phone (as well as any other airline that can get you from San Francisco to Hawaii). Make sure to have a list of the next flights that can get you to Hawaii. When you've missed your connection, start calling United's customer service line immediately as you wait in line to be reaccommodated. This will put you ahead of anybody else waiting in line with you for any available seats on those flights. It is no guarantee but it will help. Also, be prepared, if need be, for you and your mom to split up on later flights if that is what it will take to get you to Hawaii that day.

Archived