Flight time leaving Boston

freestyling

I did check the port and departures boards and also did a  search. It’s getting close for us to book our flight on 8/22/2020. We will be arriving via the Zaandam. Looks like the Amsterdam will also be at Black Falcon that day. We hate being rushed on debarkation day and cant self disembark.  We have global entry and TSA preapproval. Never  sailed out or into Boston. Arrival is not an issue as we will be there 3 days in advance, however would a flight departing at 11:30 be a non- stress departure time. Our only other departure would be 4:00pm which would put us home around 12:30 am. Thoughts ? 

Edited by freestyling

We did it easily.   Did not self disembark.  Got an early off time.  Went thru customs, walked off, got our luggage and got in taxi line for airport.   We were there in less than 30 minutes, ticketed, through security and had time to shop way way before boarding at 11.  

Yes the airport in Boston is literally right next to the cruise terminal.  If they are using runway 4 planes will be on short final right above the port.  The travel time should be 15 minutes or less, (always depending on traffic in Boston), and departures are easy, even if going through the International terminal.   Be sure to leave enough time to clear security, those lines can be long, but if you have TSA pre, then it should go quickly and smoothly. 

We disembarked from the Zuiderdam in Boston three weeks ago.  The immigration and customs were handled on board.  We had to wait until our color (the same color on our bags) was called.   We wait in the Ocean Bar.  Our ship card was scanned by HAL staff and we showed our passport to a US immigration officer.  He looked at the passport, looked at our face and waved us through.  No passport stamp, no Global Entry, no customs form and for me no questions.  The immigration officer asked the person in front of me if he had purchased anything, and he said no.  He was waved through.  It was 15 minutes from the time our color was called until we were outside.  The longest line was for taxis.  We used Lyft ($16 including tip).  Lyft had a shorter wait time than a taxi.  We were at the airport in less than an hour from our color group being called.  

Wow, that is fast.  Taking this cruise (New England/Canada on Zaandam) next July, so these details are good to know; however, I don't think I'll arrange a flight that leaves too early.  I'd be a nervous wreck worrying about getting through airport security.  Thanks for the information.  Most useful.

Edited by sevenseasnomad

As a local, I've never gone from the cruise port to Logan airport in Boston. Trust what you've heard above about disembarking and getting to the airport.

That said, be aware that BOS is an airport where different terminals are NOT connected past security. You might want to check your preferred airline for average TSA wait times, etc., in its terminal. I allow a very different amount of time when flying JetBlue vs. Alaska airlines, for example, because of the difference in crowding at two different checkpoints.

On a Saturday in August, I think you will be in great shape, even allowing for travel hiccups, getting to an 11:30 am flight. I might choose the later one on a weekday in November, however, but I never fail to assume overcrowding and rush hour delays anywhere in the Northeast!

--willo

On 9/23/2019 at 2:19 PM, CruiserBruce said:

I think you can handle a 11:30 flight. The distance to the airport is not very far.

I am  a very low risk person and with little concern would book the11:30 flight per the  info you provided.  Do not pile onto  the bus as that means waiting  for it  to fill  and stopping at how many airlines?  .  A taxi from  the port is  a reasonable transport, IMO.