Spa Mini Suite VS Haven Spa Suite

jimkarlacruisers

We are on the Escape's TA cruise in April for our 29th wedding anniversary.  Booked a Spa mini suite on deck 15.  After reading reviews, people complained they heard noises from the deck above,  (chairs being moved around at 4 am, etc).  I am a light sleeper so, this is a little concerning.  This is a 15 day cruise. My question is....Do you think spending $5000 more for the Haven suite is worth it??

1 minute ago, jimkarlacruisers said:

We are on the Escape's TA cruise in April for our 29th wedding anniversary.  Booked a Spa mini suite on deck 15.  After reading reviews, people complained they heard noises from the deck above,  (chairs being moved around at 4 am, etc).  I am a light sleeper so, this is a little concerning.  This is a 15 day cruise. My question is....Do you think spending $5000 more for the Haven suite is worth it??

I don't know about 5000 ( seems a little steep) but you would get Haven access which is always nice. Unless having spa access is important to you sometimes upgrading to Haven Penthouse suite is cheaper than the actual spa suite you would just have to hold on a little longer. To me being in the Haven is already like being in the spa, but that's my personal opinion. I will admit that 15 days of constant noise above would drive me crazy, i am also a light sleeper. Good Luck

Have to checked the deck plans to see exactly what is above you? I was in a spa mini suite on the Getaway (yes, I know, different ship) and never heard a sound. The location near the spa and that shower with the jets was great. I don't think the Haven is worth the extra $ for me, but only you know what works for you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zippeedee said:

Have to checked the deck plans to see exactly what is above you? I was in a spa mini suite on the Getaway (yes, I know, different ship) and never heard a sound. The location near the spa and that shower with the jets was great. I don't think the Haven is worth the extra $ for me, but only you know what works for you.

it seems we are on the same Transatlantic next month on the Getaway we have an Ocean view :-)....and we were on the Breakaway transatlantic in 2018 LOL we have good taste 🙂

It is not worth the addition money. You will have noise anywhere on ship. If you sit and obsess about every creak or groan, you’ll drive yourself nuts and be miserable. If you ignore it, you won’t notice it and you will have a wonderful cruise. 

We always book spa minis and have never had a problem. The crew is careful not to drag chairs. Are mistakes made,,, yup sure. 

3 minutes ago, spanishguy1970 said:

it seems we are on the same Transatlantic next month on the Getaway we have an Ocean view :-)....and we were on the Breakaway transatlantic in 2018 LOL we have good taste 🙂

My Getaway transatlantic was in April 2019. It was the fiasco cruise. You were smart to miss it. I'm on the Bliss in April 2020 for Panama Canal.

Edited by Zippeedee
bad info
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Zippeedee said:

My Getaway transatlantic was in April 2019. It was the fiasco cruise. You were smart to miss it. I'm on the Bliss in April 2020 for Panama Canal.

Oh ok. We did the Epic back in April It was good . We are also doing the Epic next April and maybe the Escape or Jade next October 2020 we are still not sure yet.

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

It is not worth the addition money. You will have noise anywhere on ship. If you sit and obsess about every creak or groan, you’ll drive yourself nuts and be miserable. If you ignore it, you won’t notice it and you will have a wonderful cruise. 

We always book spa minis and have never had a problem. The crew is careful not to drag chairs. Are mistakes made,,, yup sure. 

We are booked in cabin 15168.  Have you ever stayed in any of the cabins along that side of the ship?

1 hour ago, spanishguy1970 said:

I don't know about 5000 ( seems a little steep) but you would get Haven access which is always nice. Unless having spa access is important to you sometimes upgrading to Haven Penthouse suite is cheaper than the actual spa suite you would just have to hold on a little longer. To me being in the Haven is already like being in the spa, but that's my personal opinion. I will admit that 15 days of constant noise above would drive me crazy, i am also a light sleeper. Good Luck

Since you have done TAs before, do you think this being a 15 day TA in April, there is be less kids running around on the outside decks more "mature" passengers?

7 minutes ago, jimkarlacruisers said:

Since you have done TAs before, do you think this being a 15 day TA in April, there is be less kids running around on the outside decks more "mature" passengers?

Well in my experience the TA crowd is more mature quieter crowd more retirees hardly any children. We have had a few children on board in our April transatlantics but nothing to worry about. You should be fine. 

I just checked CruiseDeckPlans and you are just below the sun deck. On an April TA the sun decks don't get much use until you are much closer to Europe. There will be a few tough souls out there in the hot tubs but it is nothing like a Caribbean route where chairs are jammed side by side. Most of the loungers are never unstacked.

1 hour ago, Zippeedee said:

I just checked CruiseDeckPlans and you are just below the sun deck. On an April TA the sun decks don't get much use until you are much closer to Europe. There will be a few tough souls out there in the hot tubs but it is nothing like a Caribbean route where chairs are jammed side by side. Most of the loungers are never unstacked.

Thank you so much!  What is the weather like that time of year?  We have never cruised from New York  (soo excited about that),  I figured it might be on the cool side. 🙂  Do you think...pack for cool weather in the States and half way across then summer weather in Rome (staying a few days to sight see)?

4 minutes ago, jimkarlacruisers said:

Thank you so much!  What is the weather like that time of year?  We have never cruised from New York  (soo excited about that),  I figured it might be on the cool side. 🙂  Do you think...pack for cool weather in the States and half way across then summer weather in Rome (staying a few days to sight see)?

On the Breakaway we took the southern route with an Azores stop. It was cool the first few days but a few people were in the hot tubs by the second day. It warmed up to the high 60's or so. Not really pool weather. This year on the Getaway they skipped the Azores and we went by way of Greenland. I walked from the spa to the Garden Café and my hair froze.  The closed the pool deck right after. The wind was howling.

You can never tell about the weather but even with high winds off Greenland the sea was like glass. I checked a few times to make sure we were actually moving. I hope you have smooth sailing!

1 hour ago, Zippeedee said:

On the Breakaway we took the southern route with an Azores stop. It was cool the first few days but a few people were in the hot tubs by the second day. It warmed up to the high 60's or so. Not really pool weather. This year on the Getaway they skipped the Azores and we went by way of Greenland. I walked from the spa to the Garden Café and my hair froze.  The closed the pool deck right after. The wind was howling.

You can never tell about the weather but even with high winds off Greenland the sea was like glass. I checked a few times to make sure we were actually moving. I hope you have smooth sailing!

WOW!  The Greenland route would be interesting.  Ours is going over via the Azores.  Figure I will pack for 2 different seasons.  Thank you for the information!!

Just to note - it doesn't matter how many people are on the cruise, or how many kids are running around.  The worst noise you will hear on Deck 15 will be the chairs being moved around late night and very early morning.

We were assigned a cabin (mini suite) on Deck 15 (we were upgraded from BF Balcony to MA mini suite after a price drop).  When we realized that, we called our TA and begged for a "downgrade"...LOL

We were moved to Deck 10 - MC mini suite - between other cabins on Decks 9 and 11.

And no, I don't think a Haven is worth another $5,000.  You can easily do at least another cruise for that amount.  Why not just move to a regular mini suite and buy spa passes?

Edited by DinaS

I suggest waiting and watching prices as your cruise gets closer. We’re on the Epic TA this Nov, originally booked in a spa mini suite. We weren’t planning to upgrade but then I noticed Haven prices had dropped. Called NCL yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to be quoted a price even lower than their website showed. We upgraded to a Haven spa balcony cabin for just over $1500 ($2750 each for 16 nights)! This was at the 60 day mark. 

Personally I find the Haven overpriced, but apparently there are deals to be found on some cruises like TAs as cruise date gets closer. For comparison to a typical 7 day cruise we’re paying the equivalent of $1285 pp per week, taxes and fees included. (Even sweeter,

we’re in an “old” group booking that includes the drink package and the 20% gratuity, as well

as the daily $18 pp Haven service charge!). 

Loads of Haven 2 bedroom suites available at bargain prices on our sailing if anyone wants to join us!

We love the Haven.  But we would never spend an additional 2 to 3 cruises worth of money to be there.  I am also a finicky sleeper and I would never, ever book a room where you are.  You will hear them setting up those chairs VERY early every morning.  You will also hear them putting the chairs away every night.  And you will hear every single person who moves a chair during the day.  IMHO, find a room that is NOT under anything but other rooms or the treatment rooms of the spa.  I would give up a mini suite in a heart beat if it was in that area.  Are the jets in the shower worth the annoyance of the noise?  You can always pay for the spa passes and have a different room in a better location.

35 minutes ago, gizfish said:

We love the Haven.  But we would never spend an additional 2 to 3 cruises worth of money to be there.  I am also a finicky sleeper and I would never, ever book a room where you are.  You will hear them setting up those chairs VERY early every morning.  You will also hear them putting the chairs away every night.  And you will hear every single person who moves a chair during the day.  IMHO, find a room that is NOT under anything but other rooms or the treatment rooms of the spa.  I would give up a mini suite in a heart beat if it was in that area.  Are the jets in the shower worth the annoyance of the noise?  You can always pay for the spa passes and have a different room in a better location.

Did everyone miss that they are crossing the Atlantic in APRIL? It is cold. There will be no chairs moving, or even used. If done April TAs the past two years. They will be fine where they are!

I love being in the Haven, but I do not like the "Haven spa suites". I would book a Spa Mini suite  over a Haven spa suite which I have done.  The Haven spa suites have the 'spa tub' in a corner of the room which I don't like.  The spa takes space away for table and seating area making the room space small & awkward. Would be nicer if they put it on the balcony which I probably would enjoy. 

On 9/24/2019 at 5:16 PM, Zippeedee said:

Did everyone miss that they are crossing the Atlantic in APRIL? It is cold. There will be no chairs moving, or even used. If done April TAs the past two years. They will be fine where they are!

Loungers are set up every day and taken down every night. Even in April.