hotels in Athens

sandcar1

Out TA HIGHLY recommended the Hotel Grande Bretagne.   Since this will probably be our only trip to Athens, we decided to splurge and stay there for two nights.  We are looking forward to ending our trip at such a famous hotel!    

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/athlc-hotel-grande-bretagne-a-luxury-collection-hotel-athens/

17 hours ago, yorkiemomjn said:

Out TA HIGHLY recommended the Hotel Grande Bretagne.   Since this will probably be our only trip to Athens, we decided to splurge and stay there for two nights.  We are looking forward to ending our trip at such a famous hotel!    

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/athlc-hotel-grande-bretagne-a-luxury-collection-hotel-athens/

It's fantastic. I love the history of the place. Be sure to have a drink in the bar just off the main lobby with the lovely tapestry of Alexander the Great in battle against the Persians. But even more importantly, have breakfast on the rooftop restaurant/bar with a view of Acropolis. (Come to think of it, a sundowner at the rooftop bar is also highly recommended...)

Lest you think that all I do is drink, I will also recommend to you two restaurants nearby:  One is cheap, delightful, historic, and delicious:  Ariston's bakery. They sell traditional savory "pies" with many different fillings; have been around forever. The pies make a great quick lunch and are VERY traditional. The location is just 2-3 blocks from the hotel. Read more here:   https://culinarybackstreets.com/cities-category/athens/2012/ariston/

(Be sure you note how the word "Ariston" is spelled in the Greek alphabet, since that's what you'll see outside the store....)

The other place is more of a dinner choice. The Greek name is the equivalent of our "The Ant and the Grasshopper" (remember the fable?):  Tzitzikas kai Mermigas.  It was recommended to me by an Athenian and I've eaten there numerous times. They aren't flashy (although not "old school Greek" either -- it's sort of a modern farm-house to table aesthetic), no rooftop view or maudlin Greek music.  What they do have is good local ingredients, well prepared. Reservations are recommended. There are a couple of locations in Athens but there is one just off Syntagma Square, just a couple of blocks from the Grande Bretagne. Here is the website for the restaurant with the info:   http://www.tzitzikasmermigas.gr/en/syntagma/

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

It's fantastic. I love the history of the place. Be sure to have a drink in the bar just off the main lobby with the lovely tapestry of Alexander the Great in battle against the Persians. But even more importantly, have breakfast on the rooftop restaurant/bar with a view of Acropolis. (Come to think of it, a sundowner at the rooftop bar is also highly recommended...)

Lest you think that all I do is drink, I will also recommend to you two restaurants nearby:  One is cheap, delightful, historic, and delicious:  Ariston's bakery. They sell traditional savory "pies" with many different fillings; have been around forever. The pies make a great quick lunch and are VERY traditional. The location is just 2-3 blocks from the hotel. Read more here:   https://culinarybackstreets.com/cities-category/athens/2012/ariston/

(Be sure you note how the word "Ariston" is spelled in the Greek alphabet, since that's what you'll see outside the store....)

The other place is more of a dinner choice. The Greek name is the equivalent of our "The Ant and the Grasshopper" (remember the fable?):  Tzitzikas kai Mermigas.  It was recommended to me by an Athenian and I've eaten there numerous times. They aren't flashy (although not "old school Greek" either -- it's sort of a modern farm-house to table aesthetic), no rooftop view or maudlin Greek music.  What they do have is good local ingredients, well prepared. Reservations are recommended. There are a couple of locations in Athens but there is one just off Syntagma Square, just a couple of blocks from the Grande Bretagne. Here is the website for the restaurant with the info:   http://www.tzitzikasmermigas.gr/en/syntagma/

Thank you so much for all the great info!  We had already decided we would be having drinks on their rooftop bar!  🍸🍷🍹

12 hours ago, sandcar1 said:

thanks for the info Cruisemom42 and yorkiemomjn 

sandcar1, if the Grande Bretagne is a bit on the pricey side, I also highly recommend the Athens Gate hotel. It is very well located, a bit closer to the Acropolis and Plaka than Grande Bretagne and where the GB is classic history, the Athens Gate is more modern in style -- lighter, airier, very clean. They also have a great rooftop area for breakfast, dinner or drinks (and dare I say it, possibly an even better view....)

I second the recommendation for the Athens Gate.  I also recommend the Hera Hotel and the ManiMani restaurant just down the street.  The Hera is a very nice boutique hotel.  It has an excellent location near the Acropolis Museum and a rooftop restaurant with views of the Acropolis and the Acropolis Museum.  ManiMani specializes in food of the Peloponnese with a modern twist.  Reserve! 

And, yes, the GB is great.