How to get to Galveston/cruise chip terminal?

CWG

Our family of four will be arriving the day before the cruise and have a reservation to spend the night in Galveston, does anyone know a reasonably priced way to get to Galveston, please don't suggest the GreyHound! We have found limo services that can pick us up but we were thinking that there probably is a lower priced shuttle service. Thanks for your help.:confused:

I tried them today for a transfer from the Houston Airport to the port. They were so high priced. I am hoping there is something cheaper. She quoted me like $300.00 for one way. That would be $600.00 roundtrip. Please help...we are leaving on March 4th and would like to get something figured out soon.:)

The Galveston Limo rate is $50.00 per person for round trip transportation. Of course a tip will be expected as well. If you asked Galveston Limo for your OWN vehicle and not their shuttle, your rate probably would be closer to the $300.00 price.

We are taking Galveston Limo in less than three weeks and looking forward to their excellent service I've read about.:D

I tried them today for a transfer from the Houston Airport to the port. They were so high priced. I am hoping there is something cheaper. She quoted me like $300.00 for one way. That would be $600.00 roundtrip. Please help...we are leaving on March 4th and would like to get something figured out soon.:)

I'm on the same sailing as you. I ran into the same "sticker shock" when I was trying to figure out the most cost effective way to get to/from the ship. We are a family of three and will get a car from enterprise. A full size car runs about $30 for 24 hours with a drop-off point right at the dock. The cost for a rental is higher for getting back to Houston after the cruise but still cheaper than the limo service or Princess transfers.

See ya on the ship. ;)

We used Galveston Limo on January 21. They picked us up at the airport on time, and drove us to our hotel (the Harbor House at Pier 21 - fabulous hotel, and right next to the pier). The cost was $35 per person one way (we took the ship transportation back). The negative was that they of course had to drop each person at their specific location, so the trip was very long (over two hours). I can't really see any way around this though.

We are a family of 4 and I plan to use ANGRD.com which charges $140 each way for a private SUV.

We have an early flight back so couldn't use Galveston Limo on the way back. The cost is the same for 4 ( $140 ) and you get a private vehicle and pickup when needed.

Does anyone have any opinions on ANGRD?

tonyt

We are a family of 4 and I plan to use ANGRD.com which charges $140 each way for a private SUV.

We have an early flight back so couldn't use Galveston Limo on the way back. The cost is the same for 4 ( $140 ) and you get a private vehicle and pickup when needed.

tonyt

Not to be nosey, but is that $140 with or without the service charge? From which airport, IAH or Hobby?

They quoted me $140 from IAH. There was nothing said about a service charge. Of course that is before tip. They also accept credit cards. When I book, I will ask about the service charge. You can call them at 1-877-sendlimo

tonyt

Last year I used emeraldlimos two times, one time to Galveston and the other time to the Houston port. We were picked up both times at a hotel near IAH. Prompt service each time. We were even offer the opportunity to take the senic route if we wanted to. The cost for two was $100 plus tip to Galveston. Well worth the cost. Why fight a shuttle when you can get personal service. Check out their web page and ask for a quote.

http://www.emeraldlimos.com/

John

tonyt

We cruised the Grand 1/21 - 1/28. We used Arngd and couldn't have had a better experience. We got a call from the airline the night before (around 10pm) we were suppose to fly out telling us our flight had been cancelled due to weather. We were rerouted through another town close by but this changed our flight into IAH by 4 hours. We immediately called Arndg and I talked to Joe who reassured me that this would not be a problem. Joe turned out to be our driver the next day and as good as his word he was waiting for us at the airport with a nice Towncar and water, took us about an hour to get to our Galveston hotel. An interesting sidenote was while were with Joe he received a phone call from another limo service asking if he could help them out since they had drivers out sick. Arngd can do this because they are a bigger company then some of the smaller limo companies. When we got off the Grand Joe again picked us up in a stretch excursion because he had just dropped a group of 8 for a Carnival cruise. We were back at the airport in an hour. I would highly recommend this company.

If you go the Enterprise Rent A Car route, be careful. We were quoted one thing over the phone, got the email confirmation and didn't pay close enough attention. The trip from Houston to Galvaston was priced at $57.00 plus a $40 drop fee, which I understood. But I was told I could drop the car at the port when I got on the ship. Not. I had to drive it back up into town to their office there, then they shuttled me back. I was quoted $57 over the phone for a minivan to drive from Galvaston back to Houston. The confirmation said $152.00!! I had the car about 1 1/2 hours. I am currently trying to reach someone to discuss it with me. Good luck getting anyone on the phone.

Margie

I would really appreciate any feedback on renting a vehicle . . . I have read in previous posts that they do not have a dropoff fee if you call directly and that you can drop it off at the port.

There will be 6 of us and we will be arriving very early the day before, having the entire day free, guys want to go golfing :D. We have also priced out vehicles online and it seems cheaper to rent two mid-size cars than a van.

Any comment, feedback or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

We have confirmation from Enterprise for a one way rental of a standard size car for under $40. The total charge makes no mention of a drop off fee. Regarding where to return, it says specifically:

Pickup Branch

Houston Int Consldtd Facility

17302 Pine Cut

Houston

Return Branch

Port of Galveston

2502 Harborside Dr.

Galveston, TX

It is pretty clear to me. We'll see in 1.5 months. Pickup at airport and return at terminal 1

I have a feeling that you may have gotten a different drop off point in your confirmation rather than the one at the pier.

Those of you who have done this recently, please share your experience whether or not there is a dropoff fee.

Thanks.

We have confirmation from Enterprise for a one way rental of a standard size car for under $40. The total charge makes no mention of a drop off fee. Regarding where to return, it says specifically:

Pickup Branch

Houston Int Consldtd Facility

17302 Pine Cut

Houston

Return Branch

Port of Galveston

2502 Harborside Dr.

Galveston, TX

It is pretty clear to me. We'll see in 1.5 months. Pickup at airport and return at terminal 1

I have a feeling that you may have gotten a different drop off point in your confirmation rather than the one at the pier.

Those of you who have done this recently, please share your experience whether or not there is a dropoff fee.

Thanks.

We have been dealing with them a lot in the last little while. Apparently there is a drop-off fee, but it doesn't appear on the email confirmation that they send out. We've been fighting that drop-off fee for a while.

We had the same information that you listed above for pick up and drop off, but received an email yesterday from Enterprise outlining their procedure for dropping off at the port. According to the email, you must drop off all passangers and luggage at the port, then drive to a different location that is 3.5 miles away to return the car. They will then shuttle you back, providing that you make it there before the office closes. No luggage is allowed on the shuttle. The Port of Galveston "branch" is actually just a little kiosk in the terminal.

Last year when we used them, the shuttle stopped running early, and my husband had to take a cab back. It was in the $12-15 range.

We have been dealing with them a lot in the last little while. Apparently there is a drop-off fee, but it doesn't appear on the email confirmation that they send out. We've been fighting that drop-off fee for a while.

We had the same information that you listed above for pick up and drop off, but received an email yesterday from Enterprise outlining their procedure for dropping off at the port. According to the email, you must drop off all passangers and luggage at the port, then drive to a different location that is 3.5 miles away to return the car. They will then shuttle you back, providing that you make it there before the office closes. No luggage is allowed on the shuttle. The Port of Galveston "branch" is actually just a little kiosk in the terminal.

Last year when we used them, the shuttle stopped running early, and my husband had to take a cab back. It was in the $12-15 range.

I knew about the car drop-off process from other threads. The one-way fee has been reported as being charged on an inconstistant basis. I have the same price quote as me_no_workie with no. We'll see when I get there.

I just went through this process, and decided to go with Enterprise. (I'm on a RCCL cruise, so I hope y'all don't mind me jumping in here on Princess, but I spotted this thread!)

I'm going from Hobby, but it's a similar rate. Here's exactly what my email confirmation states for the first rental (embarkation):

Pickup Branch:

HOUSTON HOBBY AIRPORT (ON-SITE

8601 PANAIR ST

HOUSTON, TX 770614142

(713) 645-7222

Return Branch:

PORT OF GALVESTON

2502 HARBORSIDE DRIVE

GALVESTON, TX 775514386

(409) 740-0700

Car Information:

Type of Car: STANDARD

Examples: PONTIAC GRAND AM, DODGE STRATUS OR SIMILAR

Holds 5 passengers and 4 luggage

Rate information (all rates in U.S. DOLLARS):

Daily 1 DAY @ 25.00 = 25.00

TEXAS PROPERTY TAX & LIC FEES 1 DAY @ 1.30 = 1.30

* Subtotal = 26.30

HARRIS COUNTY STADIUM TAX 5.00 % = 1.32

AIRPORT ACCESS FEE 11.11 % = 2.78

SALES TAX 10.00 % = 2.63

Total charges = 33.03

(Notice they don't show the drop-off fee, but I was told repeatedly that there is a $40 drop off fee in Galveston.)

Here's for the return:

Pickup Branch:

PORT OF GALVESTON

2502 HARBORSIDE DRIVE

GALVESTON, TX 775514386

(409) 740-0700

Return Branch:

HOUSTON HOBBY AIRPORT (ON-SITE

8601 PANAIR ST

HOUSTON, TX 770614142

(713) 645-7222

Car Information:

Type of Car: STANDARD

Examples: PONTIAC GRAND AM, DODGE STRATUS OR SIMILAR

Holds 5 passengers and 4 luggage

Rate information (all rates in U.S. DOLLARS):

Daily 1 DAY @ 59.99 = 59.99

TEXAS PROPERTY TAX & LIC FEES 1 DAY @ 1.30 = 1.30

* Subtotal = 61.29

CRUISE LINE CONCESSION FEE 10.00 % = 6.13

SALES TAX 10.00 % = 6.13

Total charges = 73.55

After reading this thread, now I'm worried! How come the first rental doesn't reflect the $40 drop off fee, but the second rental seems to include it in the rate? Are they doing to charge me an additional drop off fee at the airport on the way back??

I'm going to call them to be sure.

As for getting to the ship, I've read a number of threads elsewhere that describe the process as really simple -- you just have to leave the rest of your party at the cruise terminal, along with all your luggage, then go drop your car off at the Enterprise office, and they'll shuttle you back. On the return, you leave the family along with the luggage at the terminal, hop the Enterprise shuttle over to the office, pick up your car and go back and get the fam. I hope it's that easy!

Okay, just for the record, I called Enterprise. They explained that there is a $40 drop off fee when you bring the car TO Galveston, which is not reflected in the rate quoted. But there is NOT a drop-off fee to the airport. Instead I guess they just charge you $40 more in the basic rate for picking up at Galveston! So they getcha coming and going.

I personally feel this is a huge rip-off, and that Enterprise is taking unfair advantage of cruise ship passengers. Didja know that they don't charge a drop off fee anywhere else in Texas?

For anyone living in the Galveston area, I really believe there is a great business opportunity to start an affordable shuttle service from the airports to the cruise terminal. You'd be inundated with business. Aren't there any entrepreneur-spirited souls out there wanting to make some serious money? :)

We just booked our rental car from Houston International to the Port of Galveston and from the port back. I truly think this is the way to go.

There are six of us - so trying the other routes of the Limo services was going to be a fortune...plus we are at their mercy. This allows us to eat out of the airport...take some time, etc.

I have email confirmations for our minivan to the port and there is no mention of the $40.00 drop off fee. She did tell me about it over the phone, but nothing in writing. I will try and fight that.

The price for the large SUV (Suburban or Expedition) coming back to the airport is higher as they said the prices are based on demand and they are just higher.

However, the price is still lower than what we would have paid. Our total with all taxes for the rountrip is $190.33 (if we can avoid the $40.00 drop off fee)

On the 1-21 Grand we used Houston limosine Network. Originally we were quoted 125.00 one way for six of us in a large suburban. When we ended up with 8 the price went up to 250.00 one way far a mini-bus. What showed up was the Ultimate Part Van - mirrorred ceilings, sound sysetm, neon lights the whole bit. We couldn't find a stripper pole but my FIL swears h saw where it went. Service was perfect. Communications an emails perfect, and right on time. They were calling my cell as we walked off the plane. Would use them again. <LI class=first>www.houstonlimousinenet.com

Archived