How to get to Galveston/cruise chip terminal?

CWG

If avoiding PC tranasfers is your main concern, we took the Johnson Space center tour the final day and were walked thru disembarkation, customs, had a wonderful tour and were at the airport by 3:00 (at our terminal) all in all a great experience and a bargain if you want to see the Space Center and a avoid the herding and transfer delays.

I have email confirmations for our minivan to the port and there is no mention of the $40.00 drop off fee. She did tell me about it over the phone, but nothing in writing. I will try and fight that.

The price for the large SUV (Suburban or Expedition) coming back to the airport is higher as they said the prices are based on demand and they are just higher.

However, the price is still lower than what we would have paid. Our total with all taxes for the rountrip is $190.33 (if we can avoid the $40.00 drop off fee)

Good luck trying to get out of the $40 drop off fee. They quoted it to you over the phone, so you know about it. It's not in my email confirmation either, but they assured me that they charge it, and there is no way out of it. It's what it costs. There's no basis for fighting it -- this is one reason why they record these conversations, so they have proof that you are aware of it.

I will present my confirmation e-mail to the credit card company for charging back any portion not mentioned in the e-mail. Worth a shot.

Has anyone used Hertz ? If so, do they also have this horrendous hidden fee ?

Question for the locals. What is the best route to take from IAH to Galveston ?

Tried Hertz -- they were more expensive than Enterprise, even with our corporate discount. And yes they have the drop off fee.

Regarding Enterprise, keep in mind, it's not hidden -- they told you about it, and they have proof. Just because it's not in the email doesn't mean they can't charge you, provided you were informed of the drop off fee, which you were. Everyone has to pay it, not just you, so they're not going to make an exception just for you. I've got the same email not showing the fee, but they've also got my voice on tape proving I know about it. You're going to have to pay it.

Seems they have a captive audience in Galveston, so they are able to get away with charging these exhorbitant rates.

LeeAnne

We can just tell you from a very recent experience that what Enterprise tells you and what happens are two different things. I'd get names and exact wording of what is told to you. We were told our charge from Galvaston back to Houston would be $57 for a minivan. The actual charge for having the vehicle for about 1 1/2 hours (we stopped and ate breakfast) was $152.00. I cannot get anyone at Enterprise on the phone at the corporate office nor can I get a return call. I'm going to have to dispute the credit card charge I guess. My dumbest mistake was not scruitinizing the confirmation email that came moments after I was given the $57 price. I just "assumed" it was what he said and printed and folded it up with my cruise stuff. I never looked at it again until the surprise hit us. The most frustrating part is trying to reach anyone at all. They won't call you back.

Margie and Paul

Question for the locals. What is the best route to take from IAH to Galveston ?

I do the IAH to Galveston run alot as a limo driver. This is how I go.

From the terminal area look for signs that say Will Clayton Parkway.

Take Will Clayton Parkway to Hwy 59 South towards Houston.

Take Hwy 59 South to I-45 South(the exit is near Minute Maid Park).

Take I-45 South to Galveston.

Exit Harborside Drive & turn left.(Harborside is 1st exit after big bridge)

Cruise terminal is about 5 miles down Harborside.

Tried Hertz -- they were more expensive than Enterprise, even with our corporate discount. And yes they have the drop off fee.

Regarding Enterprise, keep in mind, it's not hidden -- they told you about it, and they have proof. Just because it's not in the email doesn't mean they can't charge you, provided you were informed of the drop off fee, which you were. Everyone has to pay it, not just you, so they're not going to make an exception just for you. I've got the same email not showing the fee, but they've also got my voice on tape proving I know about it. You're going to have to pay it.

Seems they have a captive audience in Galveston, so they are able to get away with charging these exhorbitant rates.

LeeAnne

If I was told about it, I wouldn't asked the question.

The first time I heard about it is on this board. Does that make it a legal binding ?

It just shows you how we can just accept things without at least question it.

I do the IAH to Galveston run alot as a limo driver. This is how I go.

From the terminal area look for signs that say Will Clayton Parkway.

Take Will Clayton Parkway to Hwy 59 South towards Houston.

Take Hwy 59 South to I-45 South(the exit is near Minute Maid Park).

Take I-45 South to Galveston.

Exit Harborside Drive & turn left.(Harborside is 1st exit after big bridge)

Cruise terminal is about 5 miles down Harborside.

Awesome!

I thought you would take the beltway and go around city center to avoid traffic.

Thank you hc2001. I will print this out and use it then.

... Regarding Enterprise, keep in mind, it's not hidden -- they told you about it, and they have proof. Just because it's not in the email doesn't mean they can't charge you, provided you were informed of the drop off fee, which you were. Everyone has to pay it, not just you, so they're not going to make an exception just for you. I've got the same email not showing the fee, but they've also got my voice on tape proving I know about it. You're going to have to pay it. ...

LeeAnne

I'm in the same boat as me_no_workie. I called the 800 # on the enterprise web site for one-way rentals. The gentlemen that answered said; "Enterprise preferred customer reservations, how may I help you?"

Told him what I needed, he sent the quote confirmation via email. I didn't ask, and he didn't tell me anything about any one-way drop off fee to Galveston.

If you do a search on the subject across the various forums, you find that Enterprise has been very inconsistant in charging the fee. I'll let the credit card company fight with them if needed.

Awesome!

I thought you would take the beltway and go around city center to avoid traffic.

Thank you hc2001. I will print this out and use it then.

Most of my runs are on the weekends so this route works for me. Traffic is fairly heavy, but it moves. I can make Galveston(75 miles) in alittle over an hour.

If I was told about it, I wouldn't asked the question.

The first time I heard about it is on this board. Does that make it a legal binding ?

It just shows you how we can just accept things without at least question it.

Oops, sorry -- I mistook you for the person I initially responsed to, who DID say they were told about it over the phone, but planned on fighting anyway:

"Originally Posted by eellsinoc

I have email confirmations for our minivan to the port and there is no mention of the $40.00 drop off fee. She did tell me about it over the phone, but nothing in writing. I will try and fight that."

Please accept my apology.

LeeAnne

• 2 weeks later...

Houstoncruiser 2001- We will be leaving on Sat. Feb 18 and just read all the bad reviews from the princess transfers. Just wanted to know if you are working on Sat. Feb 25 . I am thinking about getting our on Trans. to IAH? How much do they charge for one way.

Houstoncruiser 2001- We will be leaving on Sat. Feb 18 and just read all the bad reviews from the princess transfers. Just wanted to know if you are working on Sat. Feb 25 . I am thinking about getting our on Trans. to IAH? How much do they charge for one way.

Email me at tkporter@ev1.net and I'll give you the information. Ok?

I called Enterprise and booked a rental car to Galveston from Houstan and from Galveston back to Houstan upon returning from our cruise. I received the confirmation and put them into a folder. After reading this board I knew enough to ask about the one way fee in Galveston. I was told NO! I called back once again to double check and the representative put me on hold and supposedly called the office direct to check, she came back on the line and told me that NO fee was to be charged.

This weekend I called Enterprise again to see if I could use a coupon I had received, and they checked rates and my initial rate was cheaper than using the 20% off coupon. I didn't argue since the rate for our family of 5 using enterprise is still cheaper than other other option.

I rec'd an email with another confirmation pon checking our Rate had gone up? How is this possible I never changed it only called to get a price with the coupon. When I called back they said they had no record of the other price, and that if I wanted the car I'd have to pay the new rate! I found my inintial rate and called back and asked to speak to a supervisor 20 minutes on hold, and she again had to record. I forwarded the first confirmation to her, and asked to have it corrected and again asked about the drop off fee for Houstan to Galveston. She let me know there IS a $40.00 drop off fee that I will have to pay.

UGH! I am so frustrated with companies who have customer service that have no idea what is going on.

I'm going to chance it with Enterprise and hope for the best. It seems cheaper than any other option for a family of 5.

Good luck everyone and I'll post when I get back and let you know my experience.

Kim, thanks for telling us about this. That would have sent me through the roof. I guess I should count myself lucky that every person I spoke to said the same thing.

I'd like to do the limo or shuttle, but like you, with a family it gets expensive. Certainly it's a better option for a couple, or adults traveling together who pay their own way. But when you've got to pay the fare for several people, it adds up. Plus, we're arriving the day before, and want to be able to drive around a bit rather than be stuck at our hotel. So it looks like it's going to be Enterprise for us.

I'd love to hear from anyone who's used them recently -- did they actually charge the drop off fee?

LeeAnne

We used Enterprise early January from Hobby to Galveston (on Friday) we were told there would be a drop off fee when I made the reservation. We were not charged one. Cost was under $30 for the trip and we kept the car until Saturday morning. There is a shuttle service available until 1:00 pm on Saturday from Enterprise drop off location to the pier.

Awesome! Maybe we'll get lucky too and they won't charge us the drop off fee, which I think is an absolutely rediculous fee anyway. I mean really -- most people who rent one-way to Galveston are going to bring a car right back to where they got it from, so Enterprise actually gets paid to have their customers return their cars! I think Enterprise is unethically taking advantage of the captive Galveston cruise market, as there are so few other options from getting to the pier. Where else in the US would you have to pay nearly $80 dollars for a one-day economy car rental?

LeeAnne

Houston, just sent you an e-mail with a few questions - Thanks for all of your help.

There will be 6 adults and we are thinking that a van would not be big enough with all of the luggage and that we would have to rent 2 vehicles, so maybe a limo ride works better. Our only thoughts is that we will have the whole day on Friday (arrive late Thursday night) and may want a vehicle. Do you really need one in Galveston?

Anyone have any recent advice? Thanks!!!

Friends of ours who flew into HOU (which is Hobby, NOT IAH) rented a minivan from Enterprise. It was a flat $60, plus taxes, no drop fees. Another minivan was waiting for them when we returned to port. That was a January cruise, too; I'm not sure that it makes a difference. Seemed like an excellent deal to me. Be sure to CALL though, and not book on the internet. Then have them email you a confirmation. They told me they almost booked the internet rate, but something just told them to call ..... and that is the key to avoiding a drop off fee.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Just a note on car rentals . . . called Enterprise a couple of days ago, direct to Galveston and they told me that I could only book throught the 1-800 and that there is a $40 drop off fee. There is so much conflicting info . . . guess we will just have to see what happens.

I've spoken to Enterprise about a dozen times on this, because I too have gotten so much conflicting info. They have repeatedly told me that there IS a $40 drop off fee on the way TO Galveston, and no drop-off fee back to the airport (either one). However, they still getcha coming back because the rental rate itself is extremely high in the return direction -- about the same as the rental rate PLUS the drop off going to Galveston.

For a mid-size we're paying $33 rental rate, plus $40 drop-off, to Galveston, and $73 with no drop-off to the airport. (Including taxes and fees etc.)

I have been hearing reports that some people have not been charged the drop off fee in Galveston, even though they were quoted it upon booking the rental. Most, however, say they WERE charged it. We'll have to see what happens.

LeeAnne

Archived