On what cruiseline would you not even book your Mother-in-law?

flagger

Slow boat to China. I'm really sorry to hear all the cheap shots at other cruise lines. As you can see by my signature we have been on several Carnival cruises. That said we decided we wanted something different this time and picked Celebrity. Every cruise line targets a different demographic. Carnival is much more upbeat then some lines but as far as "blue collar beer drinkers" I haven't run in to any yet. Don't knock the "blue collar" worker everyone buys the products they produce from the car/SUV/truck you drive to the fridge keeping your wine/pop/champagne cold! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

We are also stockholders of Carnival and the ROI is outstanding not to mention the perks.

Peanuts
Summit 02/07/05
Miracle 3/1/04 and 3/6/04
Legend 2/03
Triumph 2/02
Fascination 1/01
Sea Princess 12-99
Elation 2-99

Hi Barb c,
Yeah,we love the zenith!!!....I still can't believe all the bashing about carnival!!!!...I have never been on a Carnival ship,but other family members have.They said it was GREAT!!!There is no reason to degrade anyone for who they are.If they like cruising on carnival and drink budweiser,SO WHAT!!!

Another point is,It's not about how much money you make,but how you are viewed as a person!I make just enough money to go cruising,and that makes me and my wife happy!!!

dreamward 1994
zenith 1996
norweigen 1998
zenith 2000
nordic empress 2002
zenith 2003
nordic empress?...2004

If i'm not cruising i'm fshing!!!

Funny, the blue collar bashing thingy. Seems rather petit-bourgeois. The posters at Radisson don't seem to care terribly much if you cruise with them, as long as you show good manners....and their demographic is different, as well.

Justin

Et introibo ad altare Dei: ad Deum qui laetificat juventutem meam.

I want to know how all these Carnival people find anything that has the word 'carnival' in it about five minutes after it's posted. Some of the people making comments on this Celebrity board have only been on Carnival cruises according to the signatures. Do they have a search engine that we don't know about? What is the deal? I don't troll other boards to see if people are dissing X! Do ya'll? Am I missing a fun thing? Or do these people just have time on their hands?

Going on CENTURY! Third X Cruise In Four Months!
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;6;5;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

OK guys. The preceding post was my 'bad' one that was trigger qued! Real bad, huh? Ain't technology great!

Going on CENTURY! Third X Cruise In Four Months!
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;6;5;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

I'm sure if Carnival is making ANY changes, they will obviously be an improvement, and even the wealtiest of people can make an honest mistake and sail on their ships, not just "blue collar types."

Littlegoo75

Beautifully said.

I am hardly a blue collar trailer dweller as some here call them, but I am far from the executive suite either. My GF has a very high profile position in a very well known company. Between the both of us, we are BLESSED (and i say Blessed, because in this day and age we are very lucky to be working) to make a very very nice living.

Anyway because of her job GF does have the opportunity to attend many swanky events and parties, usually held in the best clubs and restaurants in NYC. I usually get dragged along*LOL*

First party she took me too, I must admit I was really looking forward to. Not because I thought those people were better than me, but because Hey you always wanna see how the other half lives.

The surroundings were plush, the food was excellent, the people SAD!!!

i will not generalize all people in that staus, just as they shouldn't generalize those they feel are "beneath them". I can only speak of the ones I have met at these functions and there were quite a few

They have their money, they have their titles and power, they have their "toys" and to me that seems about it.

They look down on the Carnival set because they guzzle beer out of a can to have a good time. But they don't talk about all the Martinis and single malt scotch the men suck back to deal with the pressures of staying on top when everyone is out to knock them off the tower. Or how many Cosmopolitans their wives drink because no matter how many times they go shopping, how many times they decorate the mansion, how many body parts they have lifted, Bo Toxed, Lipoed and chemical peeled, their husbands are still fooling around with a 20 year old office girl who makes $20,000 a year.

I guess it just makes those people feel a little better to look down their noses at the little people.

You and your husbnad also sound "BLESSED" You are young and successful, you have all the creature comforts as well as a wonderful attitude on life. God bless you both.

What you said about your mother in law was lovely. I wish you still had her to go cruiseing with.

So you don't know how to spell the names of fancy restaurants *LOL*

Some people don't know how to spell CLASS

take care

Our extended family (8 people, 2 rooms) went on Disney in 2/2002, and would not do it again - not worth the price, the kids program was not well run, not enough for adults. But it was a beautiful ship with great food, and many people loved it. It just was OK and not a good value for us.

icon_eek.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Boy,this thread sure did seem to take off like a bat outa h**l....

I don't bash..because I don't like it when someone does it to me.

For those of you who haven't sailed Celebrity and don't want to that is fine and for those who haven't sailed Carnival and don't want to that is fine too.

Yegads though, not all people are snobs and/ or rednecks. There are those in the "middle ground area", which is probably most of us.

I disagree with all the people from any cruiseline who think "they are better than anyone else". If it makes you feel high and mighty that you make more money....cruise more lines....eat more food....well so be it.

Not sure why we have to have a "war of cruiselines going on".....

IF you watch the news..take a look at Paul Johnson's family........maybe we can all just step back and stop all this oneupmanship.

Which cruiseline icon_eek.gif...it sure is a small thing in this world..compared to being murdered for being a US Citizen. icon_frown.gificon_mad.gif

As for Mother-in-laws, I don't have one, and when I did it was for a very short time and never met her to begin with....that is another story in itself.

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

[This message was edited by Lois R on 06-19-04 at 07:13 AM.]

I only wish we could have taken my dear MIL on a cruise when she was still alive.

I can't stand all this bashing, either. I don't even know why I continued to read all these posts. Sometimes some of these more heated threads can be quite amusing, but a lot of the comments here are just mean, from both sides. There is no right or wrong answer, it's all in a persons' preference. The choice of cruise lines has nothing to do with income levels or social standing.

I've only been on one Carnival cruise, I probably will never again, but it had nothing to do with the people on the ship. The food was great, the entertainment the same as almost any other ship, the photographers were the best we have ever encountered. We just prefer a more low key environment and it was a bit much for us. Judging from the success of the line, Carnival and NCL are doing just fine. We have sailed a few other lines and found them to be, well, pretty much the same across the board.

Whatever cruise you choose, I hope it's a great one for you!

Kathy

How about the old RCL Viking Serenade? Now that was an interesting ship... I wish my MIL was still around - she probably would have had a great time, even on the Viking Serenade!

<BODY>

Joyride

View my pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/jverette

fish2.gif

CELEBRITY CONSTELLATION SO. CARIBBEAN 11/20/2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;11;20;23;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

CORAL PRINCESS PANAMA GIRL'S TRIP 4/7/2005

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;4;7;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

ISLAND PRINCESS - ALASKA REVISITED (Unplugged!) 8/6/2005

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=e9967a&cdt=2005;08;06;21;30;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Sun Princess - Caribbean Medley 4/9/2004

Grand Princess - Eastern Caribbean 8/3/2003

Grand Princess - Western Caribbean 4/6/2003

RCL Radiance - Pacific Northwest 9/2002

Star Princess - Alaska 8/2002

Crown Princess - Fall Foliage 9/2001

Sun Princess - Panama Canal 2000

Carnival Elation - Mexican Riveria 1998

The Old Star Princess - Eastern Caribbean 1997

Sun Princess - Western Caribbean 1996

RCL Viking Serenade - Baja Mexico 1994

The answer to the original question is easy for me....Disney. I wouldn't put my worst enemy on one of those.

Cruise Cat

Vision of the Seas - 20003

Rhapsody of the Seas - 2002

Inspiration - 2001

Jubilee - 1999

<MARQUEE>..........................THANK GOD FOR THE MAN WHO PUT THE WHITE LINES ON THE HIGHWAY!!!!...................<MARQUEE>

I agree with with littlegoo75. We1ve beem on five cruises, three on carnival one on royal and our last one on celebrity. I wouldn1t go on celebrity if it were for zilch. Carnival was by far the best. The acommodations , the food, the staff all were excellant. We are ready to plan our next cruise and are looking to go with carnival again. Try it you1ll love it.

carnival fascination

carnival destiny

royal enchantment of the sea

carnival pride

celebrity constellation BOO!!

Phyllis

My mother-in-law is a dear, would love to have her cruise with us sometime. I cruised on an old Carnival ship as a single girl in 1988, honeymooned on a new Carnival ship in 1989, and took Celebrity to Alaska last summer. I had a ball on all three ships, as I do on any vacation. Carnival definitely had a younger and rowdier crowd and more wild-and-crazy staff and entertainment, but it was fun. I persuaded my new tough-guy husband to enter the “Men’s Nightgown Competition†on our honeymoon cruise and it was a scream. Celebrity had better food, more sophisticated staff and entertainment, and seemed to organize everything better. We enjoyed peaceful afternoons sitting on our balcony watching the spectacular scenery as we sailed by. However, we know what we like, so we choose activities we will enjoy on any ship. We're not big drinkers or partiers or gamblers, but we love extravagant shore excursions like helicopter flights. We choose early dining and hit the sack early with a good book. You know you are middle-aged when you have a choice of activities, and choose the one that gets you home earliest. My mother-in-law, 72 years young and much more energetic than us, would probably put us both to bed and then head back out to the party on any ship!

I would book my Mom In Law by her choice of where she might want to go not necessarily by cruiseline..and also base it on the fares and time of year that would be best for her to go.

But if she just wants to cruise along with us well she will be going on a Carnival ship because thats where we will be!! I had a bad run in with Carnival and said I would never cruise with them again well..they proved me wrong I gave them another chance and they have turned things around I was just on the Carnival Glory and that was just an awesome trip indeed. We are already looking at another cruise this fall. You can't go wrong with Carnival and her ships and her prices and the folks you get to meet can become long time friends or just great aquaitances(sp?) Never been on a cruise I didn't enjoy at one time or another!!

Cyt

Atlantic

Oceanic

Norway

Enchantment of the Seas

Destiny

Voyager of the Seas

Conquest March 30th 2003

Glory May 29th 2004

Legend November 19 2004

DH and I have cruised with many different cruiselines, HAL, Princess, NCL, RCI, Radisson, Renaissance when it was alive. Carnival is the only cruiseline where our DR tablemates came to dinner one night in their bathing suits/coverups.

Happy Sailing!

Dawn Princess 5/04;Infinity 12/04; HAL Veendam 11/05; HAL Ryndam 12/03; PP 10/03 (b2bs); HAL Noordam 3/03; HAL Veendam 10/02;RSSC Navigator 5/02;HAL Statendam 12/01; Carnival Elation 4/01; NCL Sky 9/00; Ren R4 5/00; Rhapsody of Seas 11/99; Dawn Princess 12/98; RCCL Viking Serenade 7/98; Crown Princess 11/97; 8/94 Carnival Tropicale; '88 Admiral Stardancer

I would love to take my mom in law on any cruise I'm on. She is a wonderful person and we have a great time on vacation together. icon_smile.gif

As far as Carnival is concerned, I've been on one Carnival cruise and it was the only cruise I've ever been on that I couldn't wait to get home.

In my case it was the people. It had nothing to do with how much money people had or whether they were blue collar or white collar. It was about drunken, obnoxious people in the cabin next to us and inappropriate behaviour by a tablemate in the dining room that caused us to dine elsewhere for the rest of the cruise.

It was also about the worst service and food I've ever had on vacation.

The only positives I could think of were that the cruise director was very entertaining and the entertainment was the best I've seen on a cruise.

A funny thing happened on my last Celebrity cruise. A couple that had made a reputation for themselves during the cruise for their loud, obnoxious behavior (including a very loud, drunken fight in the dining room at dinner) were complaining as we were waiting to disembark. They hated Celebrity.

They said they were bored because they didn't have any pool games or horse races. They announced loudly that they were going back to Carnival because the drinks were cheaper and the cruise was more fun.

I, for one am happy that they didn't like Celebrity. icon_smile.gif

I only hope that my experience on Carnival was the exception, not the rule. However, I'm hard pressed to spend the money to find out.

Kelly

Cruises

RCCL Grandeur--1997

RCCL Grandeur--1998

Carnival Triumph--1999

RCCL Voyager--2000

Celebrity Galaxy--2002

Celebrity Galaxy--2003

Archived