Snorkeling in Great Stirrup Cay

m921759

Hi!

We are thinking about snorkeling with our equipment at Great Stirrup Cay this December. We would like to avoid NCL excursions if possible. In which area would you suggest we go for interesting views? Can we go to the sculpture garden, where is it?

Thank you!

The sculpture garden is right off the main beach. You can bring your own gear, we do it all the time. You are obviously looking for some areas with rocks. The area in front of the Bacardi bar use to have some nice snorkeling, but they were using it for wave runners last time we were there. 

I’m another with my own equipment, but hubby doesn’t snorkel so I’m thinking my $50 excursion credit gets me free gear rental?

Is there any DECENT snorkeling with fish without hundreds of splashers, kickers and wave runners chasing them away at GSK?  My one and only snorkeling excursion on a cruise was my last because I know what good snorkeling is, and that wasn’t it - people flailing and kicking (including me in the head) and driving away any fish that might have otherwise hung around for the breadcrumbs the crew was tossing out....(not GSK, this was someplace else, I forget where, a Carnival excursion).

I have snorkeled right off the main beach in the past with my own gear and it was nice.  I attempted a repeat last week.  The good news is that we had a great beach day.  The bad news is that visibility was non-existent that day.  It was a little choppy and the sand was stirred up significantly.  I’m still glad I brought my gear and tried.  I didn’t see too many people who would have scared the fish away but we were the only ship and only1600 PAX.  That was awesome!

Edited by Call8675309
Duplicate words