Pirate’s SUNSHINE filled Not-Bermuda bound cruise review September 22-28, 2019

pirate4me2

Hello, CC family!

I returned home from a week aboard the Carnival Sunshine on Saturday, and now that I have settled into everyday life I am ready to do up my review. So who wants to come along for a ride??!

Chris and I booked this cruise (well, not this EXACT cruise) last year as we wanted to return to Bermuda. We did a cruise to Bermuda back in 2015 aboard the Splendor and loved the island. Even with 3 days there we had so much left that we wanted to do! We originally booked the September 16, 2019 cruise on the Sunrise from NYC, but then I saw that the Sunshine was leaving just a week later from Charleston…our closest homeport! A 3.5 hour drive that we can make the day OF the cruise, as opposed to having to travel a day or so ahead of time and spend the night in a hotel? AND the price of the cruise was significantly less? Heck yes, let me switch please! I called my PVP and made the switch earlier this year, and began planning our adventure.

However, Mother Nature decided to throw a wrench in our plans, and those of the Sunrise folks the week before us, and neither cruise got to go to beautiful Bermuda. We found out on Friday evening that instead of Bermuda, our cruise would be headed to the Bahamas, thanks to Hurricane Jerry. Danggit! All my planning has gone to waste! And I was just in Nassau four weeks ago! Our new itinerary was that on Tuesday we would be in Princess Cay, and then Wednesday we would overnight in Nassau. Carnival has offered us a 25% Future Cruise Credit, so that is nice, but ugh…we wanted Bermuda! Oh well.

The Sunday morning of the cruise we made the uneventful drive down to Charleston, and we arrived in the parking lot at 1:15. We weaved through the maze, found a parking spot, and trekked to the check in building. Easy peasy, no line whatsoever, and then we were shuttled over to the security scan and boarding building. Again, no line whatsoever, they simply scanned our carryon bags and we walked up the stairs to the gangway. We were onboard the beautiful Sunshine by 2:00.

I had booked us a Lido interior cabin for this voyage, stateroom 9121, and Chris and I zipped by there to drop off our bags. The cabin seemed HUGE for an interior! I was very impressed by the layout and size, we loved it! I will say that it was not a quiet cabin though, if you are sensitive to noise DO NOT book this cabin. It wasn’t Lido noise that bothered us, it was pounding from above…I think maybe we were under the gym? I used earplugs to sleep, and everything else about the cabin was in good working order.

FD73F7F2-F357-4055-86FF-847E5EBAD333.jpeg

2E66A5CB-F742-4BDF-A802-1964AF263603.jpeg

56C9A8B0-1E1A-436B-A409-2238E8B4A01B.jpeg

Edited by pirate4me2

As we were stepping out to get lunch we met our stateroom steward, Oswald. He was very friendly and offered us morning, evening, or twice a day service. I told him evening as I like to sleep in on vacation, and he said, “Are you sure? I work until noon, I can come by in late morning.” I told him evening was just fine, I didn’t want to be a burden, and he wrote that down and told us if we changed our mind to just let him know. 

For my first lunch aboard I opted for a yummy taco salad from Blue Iguana, while Chris opted for the pasta bar, his favorite. Again, there was no line for Blue Iguana (we had great luck with lines today!!!) and once I had my salad I headed to the Havana bar area to meet up with Chris. Just as I sat down his buzzer went off that his pasta was ready, and we enjoyed our yummy lunches.

With nice, full bellies, we returned to the room to unpack. We had both managed to pack into just carry-ons this trip, and it was nice to get all settled in by the time muster drill rolled around! Our muster station was B, and I have to say, we lucked out…it was not packed at all! We were in a single line, not smushed into 2 or 3 lines of people, and we had a nice breeze keeping us cool. Our muster station team member was named Zack, and he informed us as we waited that he was our piano bar entertainer. The drill was quick and painless, and as we were released Adam the cruise director announced that the sailaway party would happen on Lido at 4:45 about 45 minutes after we sailed out, so that we didn’t disrupt the residents near the Charleston port. Chris and I opted to head up to Lido to watch sailaway, and then we watched a little of the party before heading to the Red Frog Pub at 5.

0122A045-F63B-43FC-8D07-5F1459EB7AB7.jpeg

B56DD728-888F-44BC-9E60-7B887A3C0ECE.jpeg

8228BC60-A706-43CE-B651-D1E2ECA8E453.jpeg

Edited by pirate4me2
  • Like 1

Before the cruise we had arranged an informal meet & greet for CC members in the Red Frog Pub, but I only met one couple there (Hi Kim!). Chris ordered a Rum Jumper, and I got a Cruiser. Both were yummy, but the Rum Jumper totally wins hands down. We sat and talked with Kim and her husband some, and then headed to the steakhouse for dinner at 6.

Tonight they allowed casual attire in the steakhouse, which was nice, and they also had the free bottle of wine promotion. I opted for the red, which was OK. They did the salt presentation, then took our orders and brought out the compliment from the chef….a delicious mini hamburger!

I got the stuffed mushroom appetizer, which was yummy, and the delicious spinach, mushroom, bacon and blue cheese salad. I adore that salad, I seriously think it is the highlight to my meal every time. Haha. I ordered the filet mignon with spice rub for my main, and it was super tender, with a side of rapini, which was good, and mac & cheese, which was OK. Chris got a side of whipped potatoes with his meal, and his potatoes were way better than my mac & cheese, so in the future I will go with those. I finished off the with cheesecake for dessert, which was HUGE, even with Chris helping me we could not finish it!

We headed down the hall to the Piano Bar after we finished dinner at 8:15. Zack Daniels is a great piano bar entertainer! He is funny, can play really well, and just seems like a nice guy all around. We really enjoyed him all week long, but tonight we were almost in a food coma and only stayed about an hour. We finally headed back to the room about 9:15 and called it a day.

D65FAAE6-1B85-416E-BA7D-B71F9FDFFB6C.jpeg

C22615A2-7862-4507-AC1F-816A6A1463B9.jpeg

A1C6F5D7-2E22-4D22-AC38-DB0FD7C32C28.jpeg

2D5F7E16-FA88-4FDA-9BCB-475CFB4E4D89.jpeg

C3AB9720-1260-4206-A089-7A93E32E0D9B.jpeg

868113DB-FB0E-4761-A650-D7088AD6E40A.jpeg

16414B9F-8564-4484-AE47-4F79AFABB48D.jpeg

06DC4E99-DA02-4EEE-AC90-16F58D581A08.jpeg

437CE886-EF56-4363-B3CF-F75AB2BFC4C2.jpeg

Even though I like to sleep in on vacation, it seems that as I get older “sleep in” doesn’t happen. Argh! What’s up with that? I remember the good old days of sleeping until 10 or so…but now I am usually up by 9 on the weekend. Today was no exception, I was up at 8:30, somewhat in thanks to the pounding above my head from whatever was up there. I guess technically 8:30 IS sleeping in since I get up at 7 for work back home. But still…it was earlier than I wanted. But I did as my body was telling me and I got up and went in search of some grub.

Chris and I headed to the sea day brunch in the Sunrise MDR, deck 3 aft. I asked if we could be sat in Wezah’s section. Remember her from my last review a few weeks ago? Wezah is awesome, and she said she would be looking for me when I returned. Guess what y’all? SHE REMEMBERED ME! She looked at me and let out a squeal and laughed. We talked for a few minutes, and she asked where my Mom and B were…I couldn’t believe she remembered them too! How do the staff on the ships have such great memories???

Anyway, I decided to start the day off by using my Platinum drink coupon, and I asked for a Tequila Sunrise and the huervos rancheros. The drink was OK, but not something I would order again. I think after the Dysfunctional Family Vacation cruise I can’t drink tequila anymore. Ugh. The huervos rancheros were absolutely delicious though! We finished eating about 10, and promised Wezah we would be back again. I asked her if she happened to be a server for the Your Time Dining, as that is what we had and I would totally ask for her, but she unfortunately is a server in the Sunset MDR for the set dining. Boo!

62F96870-4567-47A2-83C1-6D85DC222131.jpeg

84DB691A-6024-4B3B-8578-4361B0D2FB3B.jpeg

C89B20C9-7080-4BB1-BF1B-A54C99C8D050.jpeg

Edited by pirate4me2

Chris and I headed to the Liquid Lounge for the live Morning Show with Adam, and it was OK. Not the best I have seen, that still belongs to Wee Jimmy. We stayed for the Fun Aboard/Fun Ashore presentation in hopes of winning something, but no luck there. Dang! I guess we used all our luck up yesterday with having no lines.

I decided I wanted some sun, so I went back to the room to change into my swimsuit. Oswald must have seen us remove the Snoozin sign and surprised us by making up the room! I was shocked, that was nice of him. I headed out to find a lounger while Chris took a nap, and I spent about 2 hours lounging in the nice warm sun….with no sunscreen. Oops, I had forgotten that little bit of necessity, and I would pay for it later on…my legs, one of my arms, and part of my chest burned. I was officially that person that I always snicker at on the first day saying, “They will be a hurting unit later on!”

I went back to the room and woke Chris up about 3, and we headed to the Red Frog Pub for a drink. I ordered the Beachcomber, which was $1 off since it was the “Special of the Day,” and it was good. I do not think I would order it again as I have discovered other drinks I like better, but it was nice to try. Chris got his Thirsty Frog beer, which he REALLY likes, and we headed up to the deli to grab a quick bite to hold us over until dinner. I got a Falafel wrap, which was Ok but I do not think I will get it again, and a side salad, which tasted a little off. It wasn’t the best lunch, but it held me over until our reservation at Cucina that night.

The chicken tenders were good, but maybe the ranch dressing was bad?

1FEBE207-5C25-4BD7-A083-DA46D5635AA9.jpeg

Beachcomber 

0FB41729-DD78-434D-B9BF-CE5503868CD1.jpeg

Wrap from deli 

ADD1C60A-198C-4442-BC3D-4F064A478CB6.jpeg

Edited by pirate4me2

Tonight was our first elegant night, so I headed back to the cabin to shower and get ready. Chris and I watched a movie (Grown Ups 2, it always seems to be playing when we go on a cruise!) and got ready, and at 6:00 we headed to Cucina. We were sat at a table and I was shocked at how empty it was tonight. I guess a lot of people wanted lobster, lol. I’m just not a fan of it, unless it is IN something…lobster roll, lobster mac & cheese….yeah, you get the picture. Anyway, we started dinner off by ordering a La Buena Vida from the Havana Bar, which is one of our FAVORITE drinks onboard, and it sure didn’t disappoint…it was fantastic! It gave me the courage to be BRAVE and try a new appetizer…calamari. I have to say, it was actually really good…except for the scary looking pieces, haha. I just couldn’t eat those, but I sure noshed down the circles! I got the chicken parm as my main, with a side of eggplant parm (do you see a theme here? Haha I love parm!) and while it was good, I do not think I would get the eggplant again. In fact, the chicken parm is so big, and so DELICIOUS, that I do not think I will get any side next time…just eat the main! To finish it off I got the Café Gelato for dessert, which was just meh…the gelato was delicious, but the cookies was like a dog biscuit it was so hard! Why did they remove the tiramisu from the menu? That was always delicious.

We finished in time to go catch the 8:00 comedy in the Limelight Lounge.  The comedian was Jimmy Carroll, and he was just Ok. I have seen much better comedians on the ships. We sat through the show, and I just want to say what so many others have said before…the layout of the comedy club on the Sunshine just stinks. Why the heck would you make a lounge where some seats cannot see the stage?? We had some of those seats and had to watch the show from the TV screen in the wall. I have noticed it before on my Sunshine sailings, and it bothers me each time. Oh well.

After the comedy I felt like just going back to the room and reading my book, while Chris went and checked out the piano bar scene. I fell asleep fairly early since tomorrow was our first port day, and a place I had never been before…Princess Cay!

The bread was soooo good!

5F7684F6-9ED0-4AA2-AC30-D72A399F4444.jpeg

Chris had the meatball app

9642FDDC-CDD8-4261-B139-4DC8345662E1.jpeg

Calamari

8338D8A2-E9B2-45F7-9018-E7E134147A99.jpeg

Scary calamaris!

CF50010B-7973-49AB-99EE-4DD9E4D1AF94.jpeg

Chicken parm

6F2D0A25-2BA9-417E-BF99-C87D8C9ED263.jpeg

Eggplant parm side dish

69EE4B1E-44BA-48A8-A9F3-6D147450F9CC.jpeg

Chris’s dessert...apple pastry

A64B4C13-E19A-4FB2-8A04-10E99ADFAFD1.jpeg

My dessert

9466A558-631B-4C86-A766-5CCB0B22E202.jpeg

Edited by pirate4me2

Hey Jeff! I can’t wait to read your B2B review and see the fun I missed out on.  I joked with the family and friends about how crazy that would have been if I had stayed on the Sunrise cruise and got sent to Charleston. I hope you all had a wonderful cruise, despite the weather and changes!

Loving your review so far. Thanks for sharing!

A co-worker of mine was on your sailing (we are Charleston-area folks) and they had a wonderful time. Her niece got married on board prior to sail away and said Carnival did a terrific job. Bummer about missing Bermuda but it sounds like you had the right attitude.

We will be on the October 26th Sunshine cruise going (hopefully!) to Bermuda and Princess Cay. Looking forward to reading more.

I was on MSC Armonia 9/16 (a rather last-minute cruise for me; I went because I got 7-nights w/no solo supplement for $360!!!).  Our last sea day was pretty rough even though we were coming from Costa Maya to Miami, and the Captain was telling us the large swells were due to the weather way east of us. 

I was actually reading the board yesterday and wondering "where's Pirate's Bermuda review?!?!?"

I'm so sorry you didn't get to go there.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that by the end of the month all the tropical disturbances will have calmed down! 

But I'm going to enjoy reading the rest of this thread, anyway!

2 hours ago, cruzeluver said:

Loving your review so far. Thanks for sharing!

A co-worker of mine was on your sailing (we are Charleston-area folks) and they had a wonderful time. Her niece got married on board prior to sail away and said Carnival did a terrific job. Bummer about missing Bermuda but it sounds like you had the right attitude.

We will be on the October 26th Sunshine cruise going (hopefully!) to Bermuda and Princess Cay. Looking forward to reading more.

Congrats to your coworkers niece!! I hope the weather cooperates and you make it to Bermuda, it’s an awesome place to go explore!

1 hour ago, jimbri said:

Great photos

Thank you! 

14 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

I was on MSC Armonia 9/16 (a rather last-minute cruise for me; I went because I got 7-nights w/no solo supplement for $360!!!).  Our last sea day was pretty rough even though we were coming from Costa Maya to Miami, and the Captain was telling us the large swells were due to the weather way east of us. 

I was actually reading the board yesterday and wondering "where's Pirate's Bermuda review?!?!?"

I'm so sorry you didn't get to go there.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that by the end of the month all the tropical disturbances will have calmed down! 

But I'm going to enjoy reading the rest of this thread, anyway!

Haha I usually start writing my reviews right off but had so much to do when we got home this time! Thanks for following along. That’s an awesome deal you got from MSC!!

13 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

GREAT start to your review! Good thing you made the switch, otherwise you would have gotten a cruise back to your "home" port of Charleston! 😀 We did have a nice day there though . 😎

12 hours ago, pirate4me2 said:

Hey Jeff! I can’t wait to read your B2B review and see the fun I missed out on.  I joked with the family and friends about how crazy that would have been if I had stayed on the Sunrise cruise and got sent to Charleston. I hope you all had a wonderful cruise, despite the weather and changes!

This actually happened to us once.  We are from Charleston and drove down to Miami for a cruise to the Caribbean.  Bad weather forced us to change ports from St. Thomas et.al. to Charleston and Key West.  We actually passed our house on the way in.

3 hours ago, fyree39 said:

Loving your review! I'm looking forward to more. 

More to come tonight when I get home from work, I have it all written up and ready to go!

6 minutes ago, SurfCat said:

This actually happened to us once.  We are from Charleston and drove down to Miami for a cruise to the Caribbean.  Bad weather forced us to change ports from St. Thomas et.al. to Charleston and Key West.  We actually passed our house on the way in.

Oh my, how ironic is that? I guess you could go home and check on things, then get back onboard, huh? :classic_laugh: Or play tourist in your own hometown....sometimes that is fun to do.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, pirate4me2 said:

Even though I like to sleep in on vacation, it seems that as I get older “sleep in” doesn’t happen. Argh! What’s up with that? I remember the good old days of sleeping until 10 or so…but now I am usually up by 9 on the weekend. Today was no exception, I was up at 8:30, somewhat in thanks to the pounding above my head from whatever was up there. I guess technically 8:30 IS sleeping in since I get up at 7 for work back home. But still…it was earlier than I wanted. But I did as my body was telling me and I got up and went in search of some grub.

Chris and I headed to the sea day brunch in the Sunrise MDR, deck 3 aft. I asked if we could be sat in Wezah’s section. Remember her from my last review a few weeks ago? Wezah is awesome, and she said she would be looking for me when I returned. Guess what y’all? SHE REMEMBERED ME! She looked at me and let out a squeal and laughed. We talked for a few minutes, and she asked where my Mom and B were…I couldn’t believe she remembered them too! How do the staff on the ships have such great memories???

Anyway, I decided to start the day off by using my Platinum drink coupon, and I asked for a Tequila Sunrise and the huervos rancheros. The drink was OK, but not something I would order again. I think after the Dysfunctional Family Vacation cruise I can’t drink tequila anymore. Ugh. The huervos rancheros were absolutely delicious though! We finished eating about 10, and promised Wezah we would be back again. I asked her if she happened to be a server for the Your Time Dining, as that is what we had and I would totally ask for her, but she unfortunately is a server in the Sunset MDR for the set dining. Boo!

62F96870-4567-47A2-83C1-6D85DC222131.jpeg

84DB691A-6024-4B3B-8578-4361B0D2FB3B.jpeg

C89B20C9-7080-4BB1-BF1B-A54C99C8D050.jpeg

That is strange you heard pounding as the spa was above you and cabins below

Carnival Sunshine arrived in Princess Cay at 7, but I slept in this morning until 9. We did not have any excursion booked, from what I had heard it was a lot like HMC….a great beach day. It is a tender port, so you do have to pick up water shuttle stickers in the Ocean Plaza unless you are a Diamond, Platinum or FTTF cruiser. We were given a letter in our cabin the previous night that said that if we were one of those groups we could meet at either 7:15 or 9:15 in the Sunset MDR for priority tendering.

When I awoke I headed to the Blue Iguana for a breakfast burrito…yummy! I love these things, they are so flipping delicious and hold you over very well! Chris got a few items from the buffet, and when we finished it was about 10:00. We took an elevator down to deck 0 and got in line for a shuttle to the island. I would say from the time we got to deck 0 to setting foot on the island it was probably 30 minutes, so we were ashore by 10:45.

We walked down the path a ways to find some beach chairs to set our items in, and once we had done that we applied our sunscreen. I had learned my lesson yesterday, and my skin did not want to fry anymore! We made our way down to the water, and then disappointment set in.

It was ROCKY getting in!

I wish I had known how rocky the water was to get into so I could have packed my Keens. A lot of people were complaining about it, it was nothing like wonderful HMC. I managed to work my way in to where it got sandy, and I enjoyed the water for a bit. It was nice, but after being to Half Moon Cay I think I have been spoiled. Haha. I got out after about 20 minutes and settled into my chair to read my book for a bit.

4413F210-35EF-4428-89C7-2DBB0BADF78D.jpeg

BD306BAD-D550-4331-906F-D6FE823DD553.jpeg

2AA8B5C8-BCCE-471F-A729-7428E7C2C178.jpeg

E06FE6F0-68C6-4EDB-A92F-854F37FB5316.jpeg

C2679ACD-B69C-4307-867D-9ECF304A3714.jpeg

C60AEA91-BDE8-4530-B943-8058AAA1DC2C.jpeg

Edited by pirate4me2

We decided to find some lunch about 11:30 or so, and we headed to the pavilion where the free island BBQ was served. They offered hamburgers, hot dogs, jerk chicken, salad, roasted vegetables, couscous salad, assorted fruits, salsa, tortilla chips, and some desserts…it was a good selection! I got a burger, which was good, the couscous salad that was OK, and roasted squash and zucchini, which was yummy. We found a picnic table to sit at and eat.

After we finished lunch we debated on what to do. I wanted to get back into the water but wasn’t keen on the rocks on my feet, so we decided to head back aboard Sunshine and check out the pool situation. We caught a tender boat back, and about 12:30 we were dinged back aboard. We went right up to Serenity, and the pool was not crowded to we got in. It felt great! We spent 15 minutes in there and then went up to the Serenity hot tub, where we were the only ones! Score! We sat I  there for probably an hour, it felt wonderful.

C5418F5A-F260-4361-A8C6-7148C479640F.jpeg

CCC02119-1A85-4B8D-A8EF-BC610A905BF1.jpeg

97CFF5F5-03DB-4434-9FCF-9AE0BF814DC3.jpeg

E9533F48-08ED-4491-8B5A-47320F778B01.jpeg

1995D602-E658-4CB1-91FF-9FCC794E86C1.jpeg

CAC0AAA0-37C4-4916-BFCB-639F7EC5E550.jpeg

Edited by pirate4me2

We headed back to the cabin, where Chris napped and I finished the book I was reading. Around 6 we decided to head out and about, and I hit up the Alchemy Bar for a drink. I love the Alchemy Bar, they have great drinks. The bartender was a little rude this time around though, so unfortunately I didn’t spend much time here this cruise. I asked him for something pineapple-y, but NOT the chipotle martini, and he whipped up a drink that I absolutely loved. It didn’t have a name, just something he came up with, so I couldn’t order it again later on…darn! We sat here until dinnertime, which was about 7. This was our first evening in the MDR, and we were sat on the upper level of the Sunrise dining room, right in the middle next to the railing…it was a fantastic view to see everything going on!

Tonight I got the conch fritters and the Caesar salad as my starters. The salad was meh, not the usual awesome Caesar salad I have come to associate with Carnival, but the conch fritters were yummylicious! I love conch fritters, I am so glad I got brave and tried them a few years ago! The salmon cakes I got for my main were delicious, although they did not bring me the dill sauce that they usually have with them….oh well, that saved me some calories! For dessert I wasn’t feeling anything sweet so I got the cheese plate, and the blue cheese was so good.

We walked around the ship for a bit and settled in to watch a movie that was playing on the Dive In screen from the Serenity deck. I forget what movie it was, it was some superhero one I think that had a lady that could fly and do things with her hands. That’s a real helpful description, I know. Hahaha.

The Mega Deck party took place on Lido at 10, and I hung around for a few minutes for that before I decided to call it a day. I went up to Serenity, where they were setting up for Serenity Nights which would take place at 10:30, but I was feeling sleepy so I turned in. I can also tell you that tonight was the night of the Quest, at 11, but we did not take part.

mystery drink

2447519B-D205-453B-9D1C-509D5F330DB0.jpeg

3ED9C5D0-B1F4-4A58-9D1F-12D2309AE451.png

551CAE41-97FE-4747-9D22-44A7F6800E2B.png

8990F630-5F06-454F-8F67-3E5EF578388A.png

C5792960-B5C2-471E-B302-BEAF58A535AC.png

Best seat in the house!

D28F10F2-033B-482B-920C-E02C76BC4AE2.jpeg

Conch fritters

487B1B15-39F1-405B-AA53-5834C81EE058.jpeg

Salad

4E8E771E-22BA-47B0-8504-258319FC73F6.jpeg

Bahama mama

A5C3F318-A356-4799-84C5-345312963488.jpeg

Salmon cakes

0C47D2B5-2915-43F6-BC85-2B29002ED3EC.jpeg

Cheese plate

CB461EE8-EC32-4D86-8312-D484F49F2D92.jpeg

I love how the Serenity pool waterfall changes color!

40C07444-4075-442E-A508-330CB41BE3EC.jpeg

52E8B9AE-9CF5-4575-B306-A7F7F614722F.jpeg

Mega deck party

B47D6384-5B2D-4E3C-9436-1D95EA236D44.jpeg

Serenity pool

899B5B3D-0B7B-49DC-B720-0FDCC01503E5.jpeg

Setting up for Serenity Nights

389C0313-17A0-4FDF-A20C-B841DC4CA9B5.jpeg

Edited by pirate4me2

Today we are in everyone’s favorite port of call….Nassau, Bahamas. Bahahahahahahahahahaha.

I wouldn’t have minded our itinerary switch so bad if I hadn’t just been here 4 weeks ago, AND I have a cruise in November that stops here. I mean, I am not a big fan of Nassau, but I can deal with it once in a blue moon. But 3 cruises in a row, so close together….yeah I wasn’t thrilled.

Chris and I woke up about 9:00 and headed down to Java Blue for some coffee. I ordered an iced Mochachino, and it was served to me in a plastic reusable cup with a chocolate sugar straw. I won’t go into how I feel about these sugar straws, let’s just leave it with my rave review of the Mochachino….I love this drink!!!

With our go-go juice in hand Chris and I headed to the MDR for port day breakfast. We were almost ready to be docked in Nassau, but we were not in any hurry to debark. We decided to have a yummylicious breakfast with Wezah and her assistant Robert, who is absolutely hilarious. He and Chris made jokes back and forth, and he was a sweetie. I got my roasted broccoli and cheddar scramble, which was much better than the last time I had it on the Sunshine. I love this breakfast, it is so good!!

3991466C-BB32-449C-B36D-38AD44FBCFC9.jpeg

FDB546FF-3A6A-4B75-BFC8-E9FFD6B3FAFD.jpeg

At 10:30 Chris and I made our way off the ship and to the taxi stand. I had booked us day passes with Resortforaday to spend the day at the Warwick Paradise Island. The pass included use of their pool, WiFi, beach, all our drinks, all our food/snacks, and nonmotorized water sports. It was $97 each. We lucked out when we got to the taxi stand and since others were wanting to go to Atlantis and they were able to fill the taxi our fare was only $4 each, instead of $7.50 each. Score! 

We arrived at Warwick at 11, and our pass was good until 6. We checked in and went about exploring. First stop: grab a drink! I got a Blue Hawaiian, which was OK, and we headed to the beach. The beach area is tiny, and the water isn’t the prettiest, but we got in to cool off. When we got out we went back to the bar for another drink, and I got a Mai Tai. Yum! I sipped on that as we found two loungers by the pool and got settled.

75D87FF3-4834-439E-AC71-858490DB275D.jpeg

B73FE1A2-E405-4981-B6AD-E522A21BCEE9.jpeg

069C5A10-0EFD-4523-9596-83D8CE79CCC4.jpeg

Bar menu

4E57B0A3-1B4F-4D7E-A954-307603F5496A.jpeg

Blue Hawaiian and Rum Runner...that’s also the beach area 

D075AE97-3997-4C47-BAE4-216BA57A1BA8.jpeg

Hot tub

00F566F5-0D14-457A-BB07-ED97BDAD09B4.jpeg

CCF6D509-D902-4444-BCF3-6F51EAA9BFB4.jpeg

EE326878-85FC-4F29-BECB-F99AE981EFD0.jpeg

Edited by pirate4me2

Throughout the day we tried different drinks…the Blue Caribbean was nasty, so I went to the Bahama Mama, which was good, but in the end I stuck with the Mai Tais. They were the best. We connected to the WiFi and checked in back home (the “kids” back home, aka the dogs, were apparently misbehaving…sorry petsitter!) and then spent most of our day in the pool. It was wonderful. When our bellies began protesting we checked out the food situation, and I was ecstatic to see conch fritters on the menu! They were yummy, even better than on the ship, and the burger was pretty good. The veggie pizza was outstanding…it had squash, onions, and some other stuff on it and the flavor was just really, really good. 

We stayed at the resort until 5:30 and asked them to call a taxi to take us back to the ship. Within 5 minutes our ride was waiting, and the driver got us back to the ship pretty quick. I did fear for my life a few times with his driving…I swear they drive like maniacs! I paid him the $15 fare plus a few dollars in tip, and we got back onboard to clean up.

Mai Tai

2E04E70E-6A0D-4ED7-84F3-ABA28C83673A.jpeg

Lunch specials today

F7D2D118-0FAB-4E9F-8CE6-2233441779FA.jpeg

Conch fritters

34B6A6E5-EAA8-4C9B-A75E-7694F36EEBCA.jpeg

My burger

F0A93A2A-6B61-4CFA-A492-EFD25DD7943F.jpeg

Chris ordered the steak

643AE52A-B3F0-48D8-B728-74351654350A.jpeg

Bahama Mama

18A57DAE-C154-4C32-834B-028FD9E36CB4.jpeg

Icky Blue Caribbean 

A87228CB-1413-49E4-93D0-5F393C098668.jpeg

Banana Daquiri

D4DDFBC6-2FFD-4B1E-806D-6BDF110E74B4.jpeg

Veggie pizza

CB84468A-8DAE-497B-90BB-FB45426AF7B5.jpeg

Food options

834DEF2C-576D-46F9-BE3B-07142913C51C.jpeg

Edited by pirate4me2

After a shower we checked out the dinner menu, and decided it was unsatisfactory. Since the ship was overnighting in Nassau (we wouldn’t be leaving until 7 tomorrow morning) we decided to check out the nightlife downtown. We disembarked at 7:30 and went in search of some grub, and we ended up at Senor Frogs. I know, I know, total tourist trap. I would have preferred Sharkeez (I know, still a tourist trap) but Chris wanted to try it Senor Frogs. We were seated immediately, and the waiter took our drink order. I decided to try a Bad Mother Frogger, and after the waiter brought our drinks he took our food order. I ended up with the chipotle chicken wrap, and I tried my drink….it was OK, but not something I would get again. We watched our fellow cruisers party, and when our food came my wrap was good. It had a nice spicy kick to it! It wasn’t anything grand though, I was disappointed in the seafood options at Senor Frogs….I had really wanted some conch salad or something like that. 

We watched Mariner of the Seas pull out of the dock while we ate, and we began to stroll back to the port area. We stopped in at Sharkeez to enjoy another drink, I got a Sneaky Tiki that was delicious and much better than the Bad Mother Frogger. Finally about 10:30 we headed back to the ship, and by 11:15 we were calling it a day.

Liberty 

66797AE1-FCEB-440A-B5D5-68C3D5DA10A0.jpeg

Mariner of the Seas

F39E12D7-BA45-4A43-8B12-8ACBEB73FB6D.jpeg

Bad Mother Frogger

D9709939-E4CF-4476-963B-5A14D2D29E9A.jpeg

Byeeeee Mariner!

69231A22-B749-4A03-9FC1-705B3A47E31B.jpeg

Carnival sisters in port

ECD6821D-E92D-4B89-800C-6EC298066751.jpeg

9BA4ABA3-B875-4116-9F73-6FCCA9CD6C91.jpeg

Chris’s drink from Sharkeez...I do not remember what it was

EFCD6E5B-D064-4552-986C-31F87629B7B2.jpeg

Sneaky Tiki

344402EB-9CDB-4B22-AB1D-1DC9F7CA7995.jpeg

Edited by pirate4me2

So sorry you didn't know about Princess Cay's beach.  But you were scheduled to go there before Bermuda, right?  That's what our itinerary is.  I could've told you all about it, and there's lots of info on the Private Islands board.  Water shoes are a must.  Since I'm not a swimmer, I don't even get in the water there, unlike HMC, where I'll wade in and float around on and off all day.  To me, there's really no comparison.  PC is OK for a day but I do really wish it wasn't on our itinerary.  I'd so much prefer that extra day in Bermuda!

All those drinks look delicious, but I'm really and beer and wine gal.

I also love breakfast at Blue Iguana!

Can't wait to spend some time on the Serenity Deck.  When I sailed Sunshine, it rained on our sea days except for one, and that day I couldn't find a seat. 😥