Eating at the Steakhouse on Formal Night?

diesteldorf

Just curious.....I've cruised many times as a Platinum, but never on a ship with a steakhouse.  December will be my first experience.

In my opinion, the MDR always has the best food on formal night, though it has declined somewhat, in my opinion.

With that being said, does anyone think it would be unwise to eat in the steakhouse on formal night, since the MDR choices are usually better than normal, or does the steakhouse do anything special on its own during formal nights to make it worth it?

Also, has anyone ever tried to make reservations for the following night while at the steakhouse.  I am contemplating doing it more than once and thought it may be easier to procure a reservation as a solo traveler.

2 minutes ago, diesteldorf said:

Just curious.....I've cruised many times as a Platinum, but never on a ship with a steakhouse.  December will be my first experience.

In my opinion, the MDR always has the best food on formal night, though it has declined somewhat, in my opinion.

With that being said, does anyone think it would be unwise to eat in the steakhouse on formal night, since the MDR choices are usually better than normal, or does the steakhouse do anything special on its own during formal nights to make it worth it?

Also, has anyone ever tried to make reservations for the following night while at the steakhouse.  I am contemplating doing it more than once and thought it may be easier to procure a reservation as a solo traveler.

I would agree with you logic, we seldom go on formal nights for the very reason you suggest.  We really enjoy the Steakhouse, hope you do as well.  We have seen many solo cruisers dining at the steakhouse.  Enjoy your cruise let us know your thoughts when you return.  

30 minutes ago, diesteldorf said:

may be easier to procure a reservation as a solo traveler.

As a solo cruiser you could walk right in without a reservation. I know some will disagree, but we have gone to the Steakhouse several times without reservations, when we don't care for the MDR menu. We have never been turned away, like any other restaurant. 

We almost always eat at the steakhouse on the second night of a cruise to take advantage of the 50% off a bottle of wine promo.

We would go the first night but kids camp isn’t normally open and we prefer to enjoy the steakhouse without our daughter. 

3 hours ago, diesteldorf said:

I was in the same boat a few weeks ago. I finally decided to try the steakhouse on the first formal night and absolutely LOVED it! We enjoyed it so much we went back the next night. The server mentioned formal night they had 80 reservations and the rest of the cruise they only had 15 reservations each night.

If you want a table by the window I would recommend making a reservation for 5:30 when they open so you can pick your table out, else it is pretty much first some first serve.