Endicott Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer Excursion

Kennact

I have been checking excursions for my cruise daily hoping an excursion during our Endicott Arm scenic cruising would pop up. It did today and I am wondering if it is worth the cost? $229 pp. We have a balcony for the cruise, but I really want to get up close to the glaciers. We would have to cancel our whale watching cruise for cost reasons in order to do this new excursion. Anyone here do the Endicott Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer before? 

Thanks for any advice!

Edited by Kennact
Fix spelling

Well, I did more research and cannot find an Endicott Arm one, just Tracy Arm Fjord so maybe this is a new excursion? (Figured it had been awhile with no replies that I would answer myself... LOL)

Edited by Kennact

7 minutes ago, Kennact said:

Well, I did more research and cannot find an Endicott Arm one, just Tracy Arm Fjord so maybe this is a new excursion? (Figured it had been awhile with no replies that I would answer myself... LOL)

Since ships kept missing Tracy Arm and ended up in Endicott Arm anyway, many lines are now just scheduling Endicott Arm (Dawes glacier).

So it is new.

I have done a small boat excursion to Endicott Arm through AdventureBound when we could not get to Tracy Arm. It was fine. It is not as scenic as Tracy Arm. We did get close.

I have also done Endicott Arm on a large ship. We did get close to the glacier (Dawes) but that is always an unknown. 

It is a toss up as whale watching is also worth it if you have never done it.

Edited by Coral

Last year (mid-May) on our Princess cruise we signed up for the Tracy's Arm but could get there because of the ice, so we did the alternate Endicott Arm.  We really enjoyed this excursion. This year (early Sept) we went back to Alaska on Celebrity. Since we enjoyed the excursion we did it again. This time we were able to get up Tracy's Arm to see Southern Dawes glacier and again enjoyed it very much. What I can also tell you is on both trips we saw quite a few whales. The captain has some time figured in to the schedule to and from the glacier to stop for whales or wildlife and we stopped a number of time on both excursions. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, go_bananas said:

Last year (mid-May) on our Princess cruise we signed up for the Tracy's Arm but could get there because of the ice, so we did the alternate Endicott Arm.  We really enjoyed this excursion. This year (early Sept) we went back to Alaska on Celebrity. Since we enjoyed the excursion we did it again. This time we were able to get up Tracy's Arm to see Southern Dawes glacier and again enjoyed it very much. What I can also tell you is on both trips we saw quite a few whales. The captain has some time figured in to the schedule to and from the glacier to stop for whales or wildlife and we stopped a number of time on both excursions. 

Sounds like we will enjoy it very much - glad we have possibility of seeing whales as well! Thanks

Here is our blog report on this excursion from last May (2018). When we go back to Alaska this is one excursion we will definitely repeat.

Tracy Arm or Endicott Arm?

Yes, it was another beautiful day, lots of sunshine and moderate temperatures. Last time we made this trip we got part way up the Tracy Arm fjord before turning back to a significant ice flow with burgs larger than our life boats. Captain McBain made the call early and chose the Endicott Arm. The fjord itself was a little wider and not quite as stunning as the Tracy Arm (in my opinion) but the Dawes Glacier at the end was larger. My estimate we never got closer than a mile to the face of the glacier.
IMG_6034

We boarded our catamaran cruiser several miles out and proceeded to navigate around the larger ice burgs. The naturalist onboard said she was up there two days earlier and they made it almost to the face of the glacier, no significant ice flow. Must have been a lot of calving in between. I only saw one large drop but missed the shot.

They scooped up some glacier ice for us to see up close and actually used some for drinks at their concession stand.

image.png.7f24b6ef68e3db5e950048610546812e.png

When we boarded our glacier tour boat Mary Lou asked if might see any whales and was told probably not. WOW, were they wrong.  Didn’t really see any close to the glacier, but we had about a three-hour ride into Juneau and saw several Humpbacks.   We spotted water spouts, distinctive backs, a few whale tails, and even some fin waves.

Then it happened, we came upon a whale who thought he was still in Cabo!  Our naturalist told us the whales only exhibit beaching behavior in their feeding grounds.  This one breached at least four times before waving good-bye as we continued onto Juneau.

IMG_6162IMG_6163IMG_6164IMG_6165IMG_6166IMG_6167IMG_6168

Edited by Retired_Army
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Retired_Army said:

Here is our blog report on this excursion from last May (2018). When we go back to Alaska this is one excursion we will definitely repeat.

Tracy Arm or Endicott Arm?

Yes, it was another beautiful day, lots of sunshine and moderate temperatures. Last time we made this trip we got part way up the Tracy Arm fjord before turning back to a significant ice flow with burgs larger than our life boats. Captain McBain made the call early and chose the Endicott Arm. The fjord itself was a little wider and not quite as stunning as the Tracy Arm (in my opinion) but the Dawes Glacier at the end was larger. My estimate we never got closer than a mile to the face of the glacier.
IMG_6034

We boarded our catamaran cruiser several miles out and proceeded to navigate around the larger ice burgs. The naturalist onboard said she was up there two days earlier and they made it almost to the face of the glacier, no significant ice flow. Must have been a lot of calving in between. I only saw one large drop but missed the shot.

They scooped up some glacier ice for us to see up close and actually used some for drinks at their concession stand.

image.png.7f24b6ef68e3db5e950048610546812e.png

When we boarded our glacier tour boat Mary Lou asked if might see any whales and was told probably not. WOW, were they wrong.  Didn’t really see any close to the glacier, but we had about a three-hour ride into Juneau and saw several Humpbacks.   We spotted water spouts, distinctive backs, a few whale tails, and even some fin waves.

Then it happened, we came upon a whale who thought he was still in Cabo!  Our naturalist told us the whales only exhibit beaching behavior in their feeding grounds.  This one breached at least four times before waving good-bye as we continued onto Juneau.

IMG_6162IMG_6163IMG_6164IMG_6165IMG_6166IMG_6167IMG_6168

Thanks so much for posting this! I am even more excited now 🙂   I know whales can never be guaranteed but I am hopeful we will see some. It also sounds like it will be a beautiful and amazing excursion.