Flooding in Puerto Vallarta

Hlitner

Just a heads-up to folks who might be on a cruise (in the next few weeks) that will be calling at Puerto Vallarta (our winter home).  A few days ago there was some major flooding of the Rio Cujale which caused substantial damage to the parts of the city closest to the river.  In addition, many smaller villages in the region (such as the popular Yalapa) also suffered extensive damage and/or were virtually wiped out!   PV is a resilient community and will quickly bounce-back but the smaller villages will obviously face more difficult challenges.   If folks have booked excursions that were to take them to Yalapa, they might want to reconsider their excursion choice (or expect your itinerary to be modified).  

Hank 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2019 at 8:07 AM, Hlitner said:

Just a heads-up to folks who might be on a cruise (in the next few weeks) that will be calling at Puerto Vallarta (our winter home).  A few days ago there was some major flooding of the Rio Cujale which caused substantial damage to the parts of the city closest to the river.  In addition, many smaller villages in the region (such as the popular Yalapa) also suffered extensive damage and/or were virtually wiped out!   PV is a resilient community and will quickly bounce-back but the smaller villages will obviously face more difficult challenges.   If folks have booked excursions that were to take them to Yalapa, they might want to reconsider their excursion choice (or expect your itinerary to be modified).  

Hank 

Good to know!  The Mexican Riviera season is just beginning and we’ll be onboard the Eurodam in a few weeks.  Thanks for the report.

I don't know the topography of PV or the surrounding area at all.  Had planned on finding a taxi or uber to the botanical  gardens outside puerto vallarta - will the route there be affected by the flooding?  Trip won't be until late november.  

9 hours ago, CanWeGoYet? said:

I don't know the topography of PV or the surrounding area at all.  Had planned on finding a taxi or uber to the botanical  gardens outside puerto vallarta - will the route there be affected by the flooding?  Trip won't be until late november.  

Not being in PV until January I do not have first hand knowledge of the road situation.  But the road that runs south of PV (route 200) is a very important main road.  In fact, part of that road just south of PV has undergone some major maintenance and reconstruction in recent years.  I cannot imagine that you would have any problem on that route in November.  It is the same route that links PV to many other residential areas, hotels, etc.  My one suggestion, if heading south to the Botanical Gardens is that you might want to carry some mosquito repellent.  I have never had much problem when I went out to that place, but other friends have gotten more then their share of mosquito bites.  

Hank

The latest information we have is that Puerto Vallarta is pretty much back to normal (with the exception of some damaged areas right along the river).  I heard that one of my favorite restaurants located only 3 blocks from the river was open (and full) last night so life goes one.  I doubt if many tourists will notice there has ever been a flood.  But for some of the small villages in the region, this year's rains were a real disaster.   Our own building (where we live in the winter) sustained a major flood in the basement which is also a large parking garage.  The cars parked in that garage were destroyed.  And this was the 2nd year in a row for this kind of flooding :(.

Hank

Indeed Puerto Vallarta is back to normal, although some small villages father north and south still have problems with housing and roads unfortunately.. The road to the botanical gardens has no problems. 

The parking garage underneath the accommodation where Hank always stays has had flooding problems before, but this time it was more then ever before.

In case you want to have more information and maps of Puerto Vallarta and surroundings have a look at this great website: https://vallartainfo.com/

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ine said:

Indeed Puerto Vallarta is back to normal, although some small villages father north and south still have problems with housing and roads unfortunately.. The road to the botanical gardens has no problems. 

The parking garage underneath the accommodation where Hank always stays has had flooding problems before, but this time it was more then ever before.

In case you want to have more information and maps of Puerto Vallarta and surroundings have a look at this great website: https://vallartainfo.com/

Yes, we talked to our owner and the situation in our basement (and over in Molina de Aqua was bad!  In our building the entire water system (boilers, filtration, etc) is in the basement, not to mention the building commercial laundry, dining facilities for the staff, and more.  

The good news is that none of this should impact cruisers.  Even the Sea Monkey managed to quickly get their doors open :).

Hank

• Like 1