What every happened to helping other CC family

Recently on the boards what I am finding is that when anyone asked a simple question about anything to help to enhance their cruising experience wherther they are first time cruisers or not it almost (not all the time )turns into a slanging match. I used to love checking out the boards to see if there was any new tips I could pick up or give,  now I feel that this is not the community that once was. I think we should get back to basics and a true and honest reply without slagging off the community, I know everyone has an opinion myself included however we all need to respect this. I for one are now hesitant in asking questions because of this. 

I think a lot if it is to do with the fact that often as not the same old questions keep getting asked without the person asking having done any prior research to find the answer for themselves. Those who have been on these boards for years therefore get flippant in their answers. I admit I am often guilty of this because I had to find it out for myself and this was in the days before Google really had all the answers and forums like this were in their infancy. I still have some books on cruising sadly very out of date but still with some pertinent advice. I think in part its generational thing too, youngsters dont seem to retain information and indeed why should they when they can ask google or Alexa for an instant answer to anything and everything. I dont find the OPs post a particular problem on this board but definitely on the FB pages re cruising patience definitely in short supply.

Meanwhile I shall continue to answer as best I can and pass my opinion, after all life is in the eye of the beholder. 

• Like 1

I think a lot if it is to do with the fact that often as not the same old questions keep getting asked without the person asking having done any prior research to find the answer for themselves.

I totally agree. Not only do they not appear to have carried out a very straightforward internet search,  I don't think it is enough to simply join CC, log on, and post questions for others to answer especially when multiple ports are involved.

Some of the Qs are such FAQs that the answers are already there, in some instances only a very few threads further down in plain view. I don't think many people actually make an effort to learn how to use this site to get the most out of it.

The SEARCH facility is IMHO one of the best features. Only a few minutes to learn how to use it for both general searches and the specific forum searches is rewarded over and over again.  I use it a lot when researching ports or specific ships.

I do try not to give flippant answers!

Thank you to all, i have cruised for many years and marella my go to cruise line. I like to use YT however this sometimes throws up more questions than answers. Things change constantly on cruises and you can do your research then find out that it is out of date info where asking on here with all the people in the know and just cruised on a specific ship can give the right answers without making anyone feel uncomfortable (stupid is not a word I like to use)is more helpful than any other search engine. 

Happy cruising 

Totally agree. I cringe sometimes when I see replies,  find Marella better than some others. We've recently booked a cruise on Princess so returned to their forum for the first time since 2002 and am already tempted to block one poster.

Lovely post though Scot born. I have to be honest I've only posted a few things on Marella only and got really good replies.

It can be frustrating when people ask repetitive or what seems silly questions, I just have to remember sometimes not everyone is as net savvy as me, I only have to think about older people facing bank and shop closures and being expected to register for everything online - it must be overwhelming for some. 

Agree mart regards the not so net savvy.Also,answers to the repetitive questions can be different over time and what  may seem silly questions to some may not seem silly to the person asking the question.

Folks on here are fairly tolerant,friendly and helpful in the main

1 hour ago, Jim The Scot said:

Agree mart regards the not so net savvy.Also,answers to the repetitive questions can be different over time and what  may seem silly questions to some may not seem silly to the person asking the question.

Folks on here are fairly tolerant,friendly and helpful in the main

Agree - and at the end of the day,  no one has to reply if they don't want to - just leave it to those who are prepared to respond.  And as you say Jim,  things do change over time and up to date info can be helpful to others too.  A response can be supportive even if it's just pointing someone to where else useful info can be found. Oft times it's how it's said which matters.  We can all have opinions and may not agree but can surely post in a respectful manner - or as I say if sufficiently irritated, just not post at all.

2 minutes ago, nancyneptune said:

Have come across some really rude people on some of the forums.  Thankfully most people on this one are polite and helpful. 

Hi Nancy.

As you say most of the posters on this forum are ok. The trouble with the internet is you can't see the expressions on the posters face when they are writing so some posts can be taken out of context, In my case most of what I put on here during discussions is tongue in cheek, sometimes it is taken in the wrong way and the replies back can be passive aggressive.

We all come on this forum to discuss and learn about our shared passion which is cruise holidays so why it should turn rude or nasty is beyond me.

Nowt as funny as folk eh.

Keep well

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kruzseeka said:

Agree - and at the end of the day,  no one has to reply if they don't want to - just leave it to those who are prepared to respond.  And as you say Jim,  things do change over time and up to date info can be helpful to others too.  A response can be supportive even if it's just pointing someone to where else useful info can be found. Oft times it's how it's said which matters.  We can all have opinions and may not agree but can surely post in a respectful manner - or as I say if sufficiently irritated, just not post at all.

This

25 minutes ago, nancyneptune said:

Have come across some really rude people on some of the forums.  Thankfully most people on this one are polite and helpful. 

This

8 minutes ago, Brummijam said:

Hi Nancy.

As you say most of the posters on this forum are ok. The trouble with the internet is you can't see the expressions on the posters face when they are writing so some posts can be taken out of context, In my case most of what I put on here during discussions is tongue in cheek, sometimes it is taken in the wrong way and the replies back can be passive aggressive.

We all come on this forum to discuss and learn about our shared passion which is cruise holidays so why it should turn rude or nasty is beyond me.

Nowt as funny as folk eh.

Keep well

And this

I try to use emojis so my posts are not taken out of context

😀😁😂😋😎😍😘😴😛😜 

47 minutes ago, Jim The Scot said:

This

This

And this

I try to use emojis so my posts are not taken out of context

😀😁😂😋😎😍😘😴😛😜 

Some people can have a dry sense of humour and can get away with comments face to face but may not come across well on a post.  I have never taken offence at any comments on this forum and I hope I have never unintentionally offended any one else.  

I do like a little moan at times but that's aimed at Marella not the people on here. Lol !

Yeah understand that nancy.Similar,never taken offence to any comment on this forum,and like to think that I,ve been respectful of others....You like a moan !Who doesn,t ?😂

As far as you unintentionally offended someone..............I,ll need to think about that and will get back to you 🤔 😉

3 hours ago, Jim The Scot said:

Yeah understand that nancy.Similar,never taken offence to any comment on this forum,and like to think that I,ve been respectful of others....You like a moan !Who doesn,t ?😂

As far as you unintentionally offended someone..............I,ll need to think about that and will get back to you 🤔 😉

Posting on here while making the dinner........and women can supposedly multi task.  Hope I'm not sounding like a right old nippy sweety  Jim. 😃