Pre-extension packages

LilaC123

11 hours ago, Johnymcc45 said:

Hi My wife and I travelled on the Viking Homelands cruise. May June of this year. We nearly booked the Viking Pre cruise trip. flying into Oslo then the train to Bergen. Can I suggest you did what we did try it independently . We  had 2 nights in Oslo then took the train (first Class) to Bergen with 1 night in Bergen  boarding our ship at 1100hrs on the day before embarkation. Its  worth noting that rail travel for persons older than 67 yrs is half price in Norway, this concession also extends to wife or husband of the 67 yr old even if younger. The train from the airport is fast clean and simple. Just walk out of airport into station and buy a single ticket on the Standard train no need to use the Airport special train "Flytoget". We stayed at a hotel in Oslo that was in the Station with views of the harbour. The Journey from Oslo to Bergen is spectacular with snow and ice on the mountain tops in May. The train is clean, warm and very comfortable  with space for cases. The onboard food is also good and inexpensive when compared to prices generally in Norway. On balance 1 more day than the Viking trip and get to join ht ship earlier and more to the point considerably cheaper than Viking

Have a great time in Norway so much to see in Oslo 

Thank you for the information Johnymcc45, we ended up booking everything on our own - unfortunately, neither my hubby or I are yet 67, but I do not mind paying full price for this train trip - I think it will be well worth the money.  We have booked 2 nights in Oslo at the "Scandic Victoria" and plan on doing the Hop On - Hop Off in Oslo. We are also going to purchase the "Pre-paid Museum Entry Plan" along with the bus.  My husband and I are not sure about taking the train from the Oslo Airport to the Main Terminal as our flight from Vancouver BC, Canada gets in around 9:30 pm and we think that might be too late at night to be wandering around trying to find our hotel....  I have been to Bergen before, so we decided to go straight from the Scenic Oslo - Bergen train right to the Viking ship.  We will be staying extra in Reykjavik as well - on our own!  Thank you again for the information, very helpful. I am now even more excited to be taking this pre-trip!  (My family is from Norway - still have relatives in Bergen and had family in Oslo!) 

We have booked 2 nights in Oslo at the "Scandic Victoria" and plan on doing the Hop On - Hop Off in Oslo. We are also going to purchase the "Pre-paid Museum Entry Plan" along with the bus.  

Take a look at the Oslo Pass. It gives you unlimited bus and tram rides, plus free entry to most every museum in Oslo. It also includes the passenger ferry from the waterfront across to Bygdøy. We chose that option over the HoHo bus because its route seemed more limited and museum entry is extra. The Oslo bus/tram network is extensive. You can purchase it at the Visitor Center by the main train station.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, just_dont said:

Take a look at the Oslo Pass. It gives you unlimited bus and tram rides, plus free entry to most every museum in Oslo. It also includes the passenger ferry from the waterfront across to Bygdøy. We chose that option over the HoHo bus because its route seemed more limited and museum entry is extra. The Oslo bus/tram network is extensive. You can purchase it at the Visitor Center by the main train station.

Thanks, Just_Dont -  appreciate the info on the Oslo Pass.  This looks like a good idea!   We'll have 3 full days in Oslo after taking the train from Bergen, finishing up our Midnight Sun Cruise.   Should be a fun DIY finish to the cruise!  Glad to hear about the 67 age as well - as we will be able to get the senior train tickets.

Again - those who've done the train on their own:  How far in advance can or should you book them?  and from whom?

Thanks, Just_Dont -  appreciate the info on the Oslo Pass.  This looks like a good idea!   We'll have 3 full days in Oslo after taking the train from Bergen, finishing up our Midnight Sun Cruise.   Should be a fun DIY finish to the cruise!  Glad to hear about the 67 age as well - as we will be able to get the senior train tickets.

Again - those who've done the train on their own:  How far in advance can or should you book them?  and from whom?

If you book the Norway in a Nutshell through FjordTours, you can book farther out. They may open booking for next summer around January or so. However, the actual train tickets are issued by the train company (vy.no/en) 60 days before the travel date.

We did the 2-day NIAN (Oslo to Bergen) with an overnight in Flåm. It was wonderful. The Fjord ferry and Flåm Railway are truly spectacular, and the little town of Flåm is beautiful and peaceful after the cruise ships and tourist busses have all left.

If you book the train directly through Vy, I think you have to wait until the 60-day point.

We booked (and pre-paid) the NIAN tour 5 or 6 months before our cruise and had 'reservations' for the train segments, but at 60 days out, we received an updated email with an actual barcode and seat assignments for the first day's segments. Then we got another email the following day with barcodes and seat assignments for the second day's segments.

And if you do the 2-day, the Norway Porterservice is highly recommended so you don't have to deal with all your luggage on the trains, busses and ferry.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, just_dont said:

If you book the Norway in a Nutshell through FjordTours, you can book farther out. They may open booking for next summer around January or so. However, the actual train tickets are issued by the train company (vy.no/en) 60 days before the travel date.

We did the 2-day NIAN (Oslo to Bergen) with an overnight in Flåm. It was wonderful. The Fjord ferry and Flåm Railway are truly spectacular, and the little town of Flåm is beautiful and peaceful after the cruise ships and tourist busses have all left.

If you book the train directly through Vy, I think you have to wait until the 60-day point.

We booked (and pre-paid) the NIAN tour 5 or 6 months before our cruise and had 'reservations' for the train segments, but at 60 days out, we received an updated email with an actual barcode and seat assignments for the first day's segments. Then we got another email the following day with barcodes and seat assignments for the second day's segments.

And if you do the 2-day, the Norway Porterservice is highly recommended so you don't have to deal with all your luggage on the trains, busses and ferry.

Thank you so much!  Excellent information.  I will check in January some time then.  This DIY trip does sound definitely doable!

Hi 

I think Norwegian Rail won't  let you book before 90 days before you plan to travel. When we did get around to booking we chose the Comfort Carriage (first Class). 

Something to look out for at the time of booking. We were originally looking for the early morning 0800hrs  train however, when we came to book. there was a yellow warning symbol  which turned out to be a bus replacement for a large part of the journey.  there was maintenance being carried out on the line during the night. By moving to the  midday train we avoided the bus replacement and were able to do the whole trip by train.

Bearing in mind this was 90 days before our  scheduled departure date we understand from Cruise Critic comments that Viking passengers booked on this trip were not given the chance to change train, perhaps because Viking had a full carriage booked.

Hi 
I think Norwegian Rail won't  let you book before 90 days before you plan to travel.

I just checked my emails from our trip this past summer, and you are correct, it's 90 days before, not the 60 days I'd stated.
Our NIAN trip was June 13/14, and the emails with our train tickets (barcodes) were received March 14 and 15.
I booked the trip on January 19, just under 5 months ahead.