Transfer time from ship to Auckland Airport

cece50

How much time should we allow for transport from our ship, The Muse, which arrives in Auckland on Friday, December 20th to catch our 12:50pm flight back to Sydney?  We like to arrive at least an hour &1/2 before boarding time ..... so roughly 10:30 ish.  We are making  private arrangements, but I understand that this day may be the start of New Zealand school holidays.   Any heavy construction in the area?  Any comments would be helpful.  SS told my TA its only a half hour drive.  

Half an hour to the airport from the port would be a very good run at any time. I would err on the side of caution and allow an hour assuming you are going by taxi or hire car.  There is a lot of construction underway in the centre of Auckland as there is a major project underway building an underground railway. As well, Friday, December 20, will be the last day of work for many people prior to the Christmas holidays which may make the downtown area busier than normal. 

Totally agree with  TM,  Auckland  CBD   was a nightmare  when  we got off the Muse  in Feb,  the construction of the underground railway  makes it difficult  to get around.  Our taxi   had to go in a big loop around the mess,  A lot of streets are  now one way due to the construction.  I would  definitely  add extra time  not only because of the traffic/construction  but also  because of the start of the holidays.   It will give you time to have an  extra glass of champers in the lounge  !!    🥂🥂

Thanks rogaan.  We arranged for an early pick up as soon as ship is cleared.  8/8:30 am.   Interesting, my TA had to “convince” the SS Conceierge that early departure is best....they kept insisting it was not necessary.  So your advice is very helpful.  

• Like 1

Leaving the ship at 0800/0830 for a 1250 flight is so early!!!  You will be at the airport probably around 0900/930 even with a bit of traffic and a detour or two in downtown Auckland.

We disembarked the Muse in Auckland last January and, yes, the downtown area is a mess due to construction of the underground rail line, but we were out of the CBD is minutes.  We spend the night in Auckland.....the next day our transfer from the Meridien Hotel (by the harbor) to the Airport also during a busy vacation period was an easy 40 minute ride.

I, too, rather be safe than sorry, but you may be overcompensating here.  One suggestion: pre arrange a private car service that will be "ready to roll" the moment you disembark and, of course, be sure the vehicle has adequate room for all of your baggage.  We saw so many people struggling to find vehicles that could accommodate them and their luggage: the trunk of a family sedan sized taxi can be an issue.

Thank you LAL......our TA has arranged for the transfer at an appropriate time and  has also arranged through SS to have a SUV transfer.   She was familiar with the transfer situation with the smaller vehicles that are most common in Auckland.  We usually use our large 29” suitcases on a two week cruise, but will consider dropping down to our medium sized ones for this one.

Thanks for your insight on all this.