Island or Crown for Transatlantic

Ombud

2 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

Not the ATW 2021 or any of it's segments...this is a circumnavigation of South America itinerary in Jan, 2020.  No choice of ship cuz no other ship does it.  It's a once-done unusual itinerary. 

QUESTION: are the balcony cabins at the back of the Promenade deck OK?  I'm assuming they are part of the remodeling that was done.  Most importantly...DOES THE BALCONY HAVE GLASS OR IS IT METAL?

I had an aft suite on the Island. The main problem was the narrow hall leading to the aft cabins. Will anyone be using a scooter or wheelchair? If so when you leave your cabin you have to locate the steward to move carts. The balcony was nice but the ship was crowded and not easy to navigate. 

6 hours ago, frugaltravel said:

You will think the Island is crowded and butchered. I did. Never again. Too many other options if I want a cruise.

Itinerary and price are the most important for me...ship is after those.  But the Sun and Grand are always a "no go" for me.

We have done several Transatlantics and one Transpacific (Japan to Alaska).  We truly prefer the mega ships for long times at sea (5 or more sea days).  Royal, Regal, Oasis, Allure, Independence of the Seas, to name a few on which we have cruised).  There is more to do.  More places to sit, more activities in which to partake.  More places to eat!!!   Island Princess is fine for Alaska or shorter cruises.  Crown Princess (what is she 101,000 or so) is okay but again for us the bigger the better.    

4 hours ago, 6boysnana said:

Will anyone be using a scooter or wheelchair?

No.

I ended up booking a mid-forward balcony cabin on Caribe with the bigger balconies.  I have 2 cruises booked on the Island next year...it will just have to do.  Anyway, a cruise is what you make it and I've NEVER had a bad one yet!!  😉

One nice thing is having a covered pool...I remember using this area alot when on the Coral.

Edited by Go-Bucks!
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

Itinerary and price are the most important for me...ship is after those.  But the Sun and Grand are always a "no go" for me.

Glad everyone has different priorities. Generally those are mine too but with the exception of never sailing on the Island. Just not worth the risk again.

On 10/11/2019 at 4:57 PM, Go-Bucks! said:

Wow...I'm going to be on the Island for 2 months. You've all depressed me! The itinerary is fantastic and unusual so I didn't really think that the ship would be so horrible. 

Personally, I won't go on the Sun or Grand again, but have enjoyed the other Princess ships I've been on. Hope I won't be sorry I've spent so much money to go on a crappy ship.🥺

We just got off the island and loved her. I was fearful before we got on board her as well. Honestly I was stunned at how overly exaggerated the complaints are. I believe you will love her. Please don’t let all the complaints discourage you. We would go on her again in a minute.

• Thanks 1