LAX to hotel to Port of Princess Cruise Port

chickadee1

I don't believe there are any with both.  Hotels close enough to the airport for having an airport shuttle will be too far to consider offering cruise terminal shuttles.  Hotels close enough to the port to consider shuttles will be too far from the airport for those shuttles.

Some choose to solve this problem by staying in one near the port that offers transfers to the ship and finding a way to get there.  I solve this problem by staying near the airport and using the cruise line's shuttle from the airport after using the hotel shuttle to get back to the airport.

39 minutes ago, chickadee1 said:

if there is a hotel that has a shuttle to airport

The only ones that will have a shuttle to LAX are the hotels located next to LAX. They are all fine if you have an early flight the next day but wouldn't not recommend that as a home base for touring if you come in for a few days. 

40 minutes ago, chickadee1 said:

as well as a shuttle to Princess Cruise Port!

Princess sails from San Pedro which is about a 30 minute drive from LAX without traffic-- can be more like 45 to an hour when there is traffic. Only hotels right by the port offer shuttles-- theres a Doubletree we stayed in once and there are a few others. Again-- wouldn't use this as a base to sightsee as there are much nicer places to stay in LA that are closer to the major sights but not a bad option the night before a cruise. 

Thank you. I didn’t realize airport and cruise port are so far away. Do understand traffic in LA is awful!! I guess we will get a hotel near port and Uber from LAX to there. Does that sound like a good plan?We are not coming to Cali early-just staying night before cruise. 

That is what my son says he uses and it is easy.  I guess we will just have to join the rest of the world and not be complete luddites!  Thank you!

Do you have a hotel at Princess Cruise dock that you recommend?? I have looked on TripAdvisor and I have seen some listed there, Best Western Plus Sand Pedro is the one I have been leaning towards.

3 minutes ago, chickadee1 said:

Do you have a hotel at Princess Cruise dock that you recommend?? I have looked on TripAdvisor and I have seen some listed there, Best Western Plus Sand Pedro is the one I have been leaning towards.

I'm not a great person to ask because personally I wouldn't stay in San Pedro again-- would most likely book a room in either Santa Monica or Beverly Hills and Uber down to the pier the next day since theres so much time. 

That being said, we did stay at the Doubletree one time and it was fine, but wouldn't do it again. 

2 minutes ago, chickadee1 said:

OK- what is the problem with hotels/area?

Theres nothing wrong with it per se-- just nothing to see or do. Its an industrial port surrounded by a so so residential area. No where to walk-- we felt very boxed in the night we stayed at the Doubletree. 

I sort of look at it this way-- Im going to spend money on an Uber from the airport to the pier anyway. Santa Monica is pretty close to the airport so the fare is nearly the same and is on the beach with a ton of fun restaurants and nightlife. Just would rather be there than in an industrial port town. 

If you are not doing any sightseeing...and just flying in the day before the cruise, the best plan, IMHO, is to Uber from LAX to San Pedro...and to stay there the night before the cruise.

One note on Uber, though...LAX just instituted a new policy where Uber, Lyft or taxis are not allowed to pick up just in front of the terminals.  Now, there is one central pick-up spot--across Sepulveda Blvd. from Terminal 1.  You can either walk there (if, for example, you've landed at Terminal 1 or 2) or you can take a free shuttle bus there...Still makes sense to use Uber, though, IMHO...

As to hotels in San Pedro, there are TWO that I recommend:  The Doubletree or the Crowne Plaza.  I am staying at the Doubletree myself this January before my Royal Princess cruise.  The Crowne Plaza is centrally located in San Pedro...Most of the restaurants worth eating at are within a block or two of the hotel.  The cruise port is actually walking distance--about the equivalent of three blocks, flat, one major street to cross...but the hotel also has a shuttle... The Doubletree is in a more tranquil and scenic location, about a mile and a half downchannel from the port at the yacht harbor.  Not as many restaurants or attractions there, but the hotel will shuttle you to restaurants and to the pier...

The Best Western, for me, is a distant third choice...it's not near the restaurants and in a much less attractive neighborhood--on a very busy street--where the 110 Freeway ends and dumps out onto Gaffey Ave.  I would stay there only if I was getting a MUCH lower price or if the other two hotels were booked.  There is no decent fourth choice...

When we stay at the Doubletree, we're either driving--or taking the hotel shuttle--to the San Pedro Brewing Company or the Green Onion for dinner or just walking to the 22nd Street Landing (close to the Doubletree) for Seafood...The rest of our time there, we are just going to relax...

Being in San Pedro means we avoid all the stress of dealing with traffic and other time considerations the morning of the cruise...

Thank you so much for this information about hotels!  It really helps to have someone knowledgeable about the area - we are grateful.

I will due my research on the hotels you mentioned - and try to stay away from the Best Western!! Have a good trip in January and two in July!  You certainly have the info I need!

Theres nothing wrong with it per se-- just nothing to see or do. Its an industrial port surrounded by a so so residential area. No where to walk-- we felt very boxed in the night we stayed at the Doubletree. 

I sort of look at it this way-- Im going to spend money on an Uber from the airport to the pier anyway. Santa Monica is pretty close to the airport so the fare is nearly the same and is on the beach with a ton of fun restaurants and nightlife. Just would rather be there than in an industrial port town.

Thank you for this information - might try your idea, too!!

For what it is worth, I don't consider Santa Monica "near the airport", it is 20-30 minutes north, depending on the time of day, day of the week. So that adds 20-30 minutes the next day. If you arrive early enough to walk about and stretch your legs, etc, I'd choose Long Beach and a hotel like the Hyatt Centric. It is only about 15 minutes to San Pedro.

If you are arriving late afternoon, I'd just go to San Pedro and stay at the DoubleTree or Crown Plaza.

In any case, getting south the day you arrive makes the next day easier and less stressful.

Well, thanks for everyone’s help. We did book Crown Plaza and since we had to pay already, we are going to be very happy there!! This way, we don’t have to fight traffic day of trip and we also will be hungry and tired (flying 6 hrs from JFK) and we can take care of that so we will be rested for our cruise!!  Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, diane.in.ny said:

Wondering if anyone can recommend a hotel in Long Beach that is near the beach. 

Coming in two nights early and want to spend a day vegging near the water.

If you want to go to the beach I would recommend staying in Santa Monica or going further south to Laguna Niguel/Dana Point. Long Beach wouldn't make my list of favorite stretches of sand. Another idea would be to take a ferry over to Catalina for the night. 

2 hours ago, diane.in.ny said:

Wondering if anyone can recommend a hotel in Long Beach that is near the beach. 

Coming in two nights early and want to spend a day vegging near the water.

There are not any hotels what I would call "near the beach". The beach in Downtown Long Beach is all inside the breakwater or the Port of Long Beach & LA, which makes it not a very desirable beach.

If you want a nice beach hotel, I'd look at Huntington Beach or Laguna Beach. Which to choose depends on budget and interests. If you stay in the downtown area of either, you don't need a car; they are both very walkable.

Downtown Laguna Beach

Downtown Huntington Beach

Both maps above can be spun 360 or zoomed out to see where they are in relation to San Pedro.

15 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

There are not any hotels what I would call "near the beach". The beach in Downtown Long Beach is all inside the breakwater or the Port of Long Beach & LA, which makes it not a very desirable beach.

If you want a nice beach hotel, I'd look at Huntington Beach or Laguna Beach. Which to choose depends on budget and interests. If you stay in the downtown area of either, you don't need a car; they are both very walkable.

Downtown Laguna Beach

Downtown Huntington Beach

Both maps above can be spun 360 or zoomed out to see where they are in relation to San Pedro.

Thank you!

2 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

If you want to go to the beach I would recommend staying in Santa Monica or going further south to Laguna Niguel/Dana Point. Long Beach wouldn't make my list of favorite stretches of sand. Another idea would be to take a ferry over to Catalina for the night. 

Thanks!

Diane,

It looks to me as if you are coming here for a February cruise...which is not exactly prime beach season...

So...I would ask what you are really looking for in "near the beach"?

If you are looking towards going in the water, be aware it will likely be quite cold...and, it may not be the best time of year to lay out on the sand to try to get  a tan...

OTOH, if it's just the ambiance of a beach town you are looking for...or maybe for the ocean views, then you do have some possibilities--from Malibu clear down to South Orange County.  There are many beach towns, most of them fairly upscale (some more than others) and many have hotels right at the beach or fairly nearby...

Assuming you are flying in to LAX and cruising out of San Pedro, I would not go too far north of LAX or too far south of San Pedro--meaning, for convenience sake, I'd stick to between Santa Monica and Seal Beach... The South Orange County towns--Laguna Beach, Newport Beach, et al are very nice, but a little out of your way.

Santa Monica is my number one recommendation for anyone with extended time in the LA area--because of the multitude of things to do right there as well as the proximity to a lot of LA are tourist favorite sights.  Santa Monica has a few very nice hotels basically right on the beach--Loews, Marriott Le Marigot, Shutters-on-the-Beach, Casa del Mar...as well as several other great options within 1-5 blocks of the beach, but close to the Downtown Santa Monica Attractions--Fairmont Miramar, Wyndham, Huntley, Georgian, Courtyard, Hampton, CarMar and others...Nice areas to walk--on the beach , on the Pier and along the Palisades Park on the cliffs overlooking the beach...Santa Monica is approximately 10 miles north of LAX...

Closer to LAX is Marina Del Rey/Venice Beach...which has lots of nice hotels...and restaurants...and attractions such as the Venice Boardwalk...Look at the Marriott, the Jamaica Bay Inn, the Foghorn Harbor Inn, the Inn at Venice Beach, the Venice Beach House, the Ritz Carlton and the Hotel Erwin...

South of LAX is the area known as the "South Bay"--Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach...These tend to be more residential beach towns with an almost retro vibe...But there are some reasonable choices here--such as the Portofino or the Crown Plaza near the Redondo Beach Pier.  Other hotels in this area tend to be smaller, outdated motels...

Just outside of San Pedro, in the VERY exclusive Palos Verde area, you'll find the Terranea Resort--on the cliffs over the Pacific...it's very close to the cruise port, but not much in the immediate vicinity...and a bit pricey...

Long Beach has several nice hotels in its Convention Center area--near the harbor rather than the nicer beaches--but there are beaches very nearby...Look at my "A" list:  Hyatt Regency, Hyatt Centric at the Pike, Renaissance, Westin...The Maya Doubletree and Residence Inn Downtown are farther into the commercial port and farther from beaches...but are nice hotels--just requiring a shuttle to the more touristy areas across the channel.  The nicer beaches in Long Beach are further down the coast--in the Naples/Belmont Shore area, but there really aren't any great hotel choices near the beach...

I hope this helps...

BTW, here is the view from the room I stayed in at the Marriott Le Merigot in Santa Monica:

526634542_LeMerigot610(640x480).jpg.bddcc1b36522797caa9c5fcf7072be27.jpg

Here's a view from the Loews:

image.png.0ea1458fd61290a394cd8e8626c79c70.png

Edited by Bruin Steve

45 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

Diane,

It looks to me as if you are coming here for a February cruise...which is not exactly prime beach season...

So...I would ask what you are really looking for in "near the beach"?

If you are looking towards going in the water, be aware it will likely be quite cold...and, it may not be the best time of year to lay out on the sand to try to get  a tan...

OTOH, if it's just the ambiance of a beach town you are looking for...or maybe for the ocean views, then you do have some possibilities--from Malibu clear down to South Orange County.  There are many beach towns, most of them fairly upscale (some more than others) and many have hotels right at the beach or fairly nearby...

Assuming you are flying in to LAX and cruising out of San Pedro, I would not go too far north of LAX or too far south of San Pedro--meaning, for convenience sake, I'd stick to between Santa Monica and Seal Beach... The South Orange County towns--Laguna Beach, Newport Beach, et al are very nice, but a little out of your way.

Santa Monica is my number one recommendation for anyone with extended time in the LA area--because of the multitude of things to do right there as well as the proximity to a lot of LA are tourist favorite sights.  Santa Monica has a few very nice hotels basically right on the beach--Loews, Marriott Le Marigot, Shutters-on-the-Beach, Casa del Mar...as well as several other great options within 1-5 blocks of the beach, but close to the Downtown Santa Monica Attractions--Fairmont Miramar, Wyndham, Huntley, Georgian, Courtyard, Hampton, CarMar and others...Nice areas to walk--on the beach , on the Pier and along the Palisades Park on the cliffs overlooking the beach...Santa Monica is approximately 10 miles north of LAX...

Closer to LAX is Marina Del Rey/Venice Beach...which has lots of nice hotels...and restaurants...and attractions such as the Venice Boardwalk...Look at the Marriott, the Jamaica Bay Inn, the Foghorn Harbor Inn, the Inn at Venice Beach, the Venice Beach House, the Ritz Carlton and the Hotel Erwin...

South of LAX is the area known as the "South Bay"--Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach...These tend to be more residential beach towns with an almost retro vibe...But there are some reasonable choices here--such as the Portofino or the Crown Plaza near the Redondo Beach Pier.  Other hotels in this area tend to be smaller, outdated motels...

Just outside of San Pedro, in the VERY exclusive Palos Verde area, you'll find the Terranea Resort--on the cliffs over the Pacific...it's very close to the cruise port, but not much in the immediate vicinity...and a bit pricey...

Long Beach has several nice hotels in its Convention Center area--near the harbor rather than the nicer beaches--but there are beaches very nearby...Look at my "A" list:  Hyatt Regency, Hyatt Centric at the Pike, Renaissance, Westin...The Maya Doubletree and Residence Inn Downtown are farther into the commercial port and farther from beaches...but are nice hotels--just requiring a shuttle to the more touristy areas across the channel.  The nicer beaches in Long Beach are further down the coast--in the Naples/Belmont Shore area, but there really aren't any great hotel choices near the beach...

I hope this helps...

BTW, here is the view from the room I stayed in at the Marriott Le Merigot in Santa Monica:

526634542_LeMerigot610(640x480).jpg.bddcc1b36522797caa9c5fcf7072be27.jpg

Here's a view from the Loews:

image.png.0ea1458fd61290a394cd8e8626c79c70.png

Thank you so very much for taking the time to write this long and helpful post.